Worst Time for Sports in America

Texsox

1. NFL being rocked by a pay to lose scandal and racist hiring practices
  2. MLB Lockout
  3. NHL Blackhawks scandal
  4. Olympics in China
  5. MLB Steroids still in the news
  6. Minority hiring in about every league

I'm thinking this is the lowest point for self inflicted problems in American sports in my lifetime. I'm thinking of the Munich Olympics and thinking that's the worst single moment in my lifetime, but the sheer number of self inflicted issues today is horrible. 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Texsox said:
  2. MLB Lockout
  4. Olympics in China

I'm thinking this is the lowest point for self inflicted problems in American sports in my lifetime. I'm thinking of the Munich Olympics and thinking that's the worst single moment in my lifetime, but the sheer number of self inflicted issues today is horrible. 

I was thinking the same thing this morning listening to talk radio talk about the Blackhawks.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Texsox said:
  2. MLB Lockout
  4. Olympics in China

NBA seems to be doing well.

• Like 1

Some perspective on the NFL, they just had two of the greatest playoff weekends they've ever had. The need for QB really has dragged me down since the bears are never with one, but I don't remember a time where I was so excited to just keep watching the playoffs.

The NBA has an incredibly diverse set of superstars after years of just the super wings, now you have Jokic, Ball, Trea, Steph, Luka, along with the stalwarts still performing. And a now dominant east and a league where nearly all the teams are competing.

I maintain that the issue with the 2010s was all sports at once realizing some longheld strategies were now outdated, maybe due to technology or analytics or new voices or what. Now all the leagues FOs are aligned and want to be competitive. It's going to be an awesome sports decade.

Yeah Hockey might be bad not sure.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, bmags said:

Some perspective on the NFL, they just had two of the greatest playoff weekends they've ever had. The need for QB really has dragged me down since the bears are never with one, but I don't remember a time where I was so excited to just keep watching the playoffs.

The NBA has an incredibly diverse set of superstars after years of just the super wings, now you have Jokic, Ball, Trea, Steph, Luka, along with the stalwarts still performing. And a now dominant east and a league where nearly all the teams are competing.

I maintain that the issue with the 2010s was all sports at once realizing some longheld strategies were now outdated, maybe due to technology or analytics or new voices or what. Now all the leagues FOs are aligned and want to be competitive. It's going to be an awesome sports decade.

I don't think the question is the quality of the play it is the outside the lines issues. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, bmags said:

And we have the lockout Trout drawings, which Trout himself enjoys!

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Harry Chappas said:

I don't think the question is the quality of the play it is the outside the lines issues. 

I have a hard time believing this is any worse than it ever is. I wonder how many people even know there is a baseball lockout right now.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

As a hockey second sports fan I've really felt the sting of the Blackhawks scandal. I started caring about prospects in sports when the victim was the #1 prospect in the Hawks' system. I've read so many articles about how the victim was a bust and had every terrible character trait imaginable. Instead its some of the people I thought were respectable who are trash. That makes me feel like the current moment is especially bad, but its really just this bad for Chicago sports fans who care about baseball. Pretty much every other issue has parallels in recent memory.

The Olympics are increasingly controversial in the last decade. Two of the last three winter Olympic locations were held by the government's geopolitical enemies, the Rio Olympics was terrible in many respects, and I heard more about covid and the sex-proof beds than the actual Tokyo Olympics. Racism in sports management and coaching has been a topic of conversation for a while now. Racism is becoming a bigger issue as more players are speaking out and more journalists are refusing to stick to sports but it has always been there. The NFL has a new weird type of scandal every few years and steroids have been talked about often since Bonds got on the ballot. 

So to me it comes down to MLB's owners lockout and the Blackhawks scandal. It's not great as most of us probably say baseball is our favorite sport and have the Hawks as our hockey team, but that makes things more Chicago and baseball specific than sports as a whole. At least the Bulls are playing some great basketball.

Edited by MackowiakYakYak
  • Like 1

17 minutes ago, MackowiakYakYak said:

As a hockey second sports fan I've really felt the sting of the Blackhawks scandal. I started caring about prospects in sports when the victim was the #1 prospect in the Hawks' system. I've read so many articles about how the victim was a bust and had every terrible character trait imaginable. Instead its some of the people I thought were respectable who are trash. That makes me feel like the current moment is especially bad, but its really just this bad for Chicago sports fans who care about baseball. Pretty much every other issue has parallels in recent memory.

The Olympics are increasingly controversial in the last decade. Two of the last three winter Olympic locations were held by the government's geopolitical enemies, the Rio Olympics was terrible in many respects, and I heard more about covid and the sex-proof beds than the actual Tokyo Olympics. Racism in sports management and coaching has been a topic of conversation for a while now. Racism is becoming a bigger issue as more players are speaking out and more journalists are refusing to stick to sports but it has always been there. The NFL has a new weird type of scandal every few years and steroids have been talked about often since Bonds got on the ballot. 

So to me it comes down to MLB's owners lockout and the Blackhawks scandal. It's not great as most of us probably say baseball is our favorite sport and have the Hawks as our hockey team, but that makes things more Chicago and baseball specific than sports as a whole. At least the Bulls are playing some great basketball.

I felt almost all of this post.  It's a bad time to be a Chicago sports fan now, especially if baseball is your #1 and hockey #2.

• Like 1