Levine links Sox to Conforto

southsider2k5

15 hours ago, Two-Gun Pete said:

In thinking about this, I checked on Conforto's supposed market value. SPOTRAC has him at $19.1M/per, with a 6/$114M contract being their guess. MLBTR guesses that he'll get 1/$20M, but as he'll cost a pick, and that his agent is Boras, I doubt that a pillow contract is in the works.

Today, FANGRAPHS published the ZIPS projections on Suzuki. The juicy bits are him being projected as a 125 wRC+ hitter, 23 HR, and 2.5 fWAR. ZIPS also suggests that his market value is 5/$69M; MLBTR has him at 5/$55M. A midpoint between these two is ~$12.4M/per.

Now, I bring this up because, while I believe that, in isolation, Conforto and his lefty bat is the better choice for RF. But, that would ignore the gaping hole at 2B, and the SOX 's position relative to the luxury tax.

That said, I think I'd rather sign Suzuki at ~$11M to $13M/per, because that would then make it possible to also add a cromulent 2B at ~$3.5-$5M/per. This would also allow for some "oops room" under the luxury tax. IOW, while Conforto would be a better gamble than Suzuki, the 'stars-and-scrubs' era White Sox taught us that Suzuki+Villar would be better than Conforto+Leury, if Conforto will command a $19M-$20M/per price tag.

In any case, Levine knows fuck-all about non-cubs baseball, and he's the source for this thread. And no one's linked us to Suzuki, so it could be that neither find their way to the rate this year. We'll see. 

I mean I can confirm that the Sox have interest in Conforto. I wouldn’t have tweeted about it otherwise. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2
  • Love 1

1 minute ago, Y2Jimmy0 said:

I mean I can confirm that the Sox have interest in Conforto. I wouldn’t have tweeted about it otherwise. 

Here is the thing about Levine.  He gets inside info on a regular basis.  For whatever reason he rarely discloses it.  I am guessing the reason he said something here was to signal either to fans the Sox had plans, or to signal to Conforto's camp that they want to talk quickly once all of this is done.  The reason I feel like Bruce gets info is if you listen to him talk AFTER news comes out he supplements that news with information that could have only know if he was in the know ahead of time.  He has details that weren't previously public.  But as is most of the Chicago media, he is well trained to keep his mouth shut until it is time.

• Love 1

1 hour ago, Greg Hibbard said:

I'm torn. Conforto is a proven player, but it is a very valid point that a down year at 28 could be the start of a decline - even if most of that was bad luck. I could see him turning into a 2ish WAR player and I don't think we can afford that at a power corner position, but I think I'm inclined to go after him because he does have a TON of proven production history and I'm concerned AV may turn out to be more mediocre than originally thought, and I don't know if I quite believe in Sheets yet (although I love what I've seen). 

As for second, I could live with Leury as long as he remains a 2ish WAR player and the positional consistency turns into more solid defense. 

Conforto was dealing with an injury last year.

45 minutes ago, Y2Jimmy0 said:

I'm sure the SOX do "have interest" in Conforto. They should, because he's been a good player. Just like I "have interest" in getting to know Ms America.

But one wonders if the SOX having "interest" in Conforto is like the SOX "checking in on Semien." At the same time, the title of this thread isn't, "Levine says SOX are interested in Conforto." The thread title is, "Levine LINKS SOX to Conforto," which sounds like there's a fucking snowballs chance in hell of actually happening.

See, whenever Levine says something, it usually means that the opposite will occur. It seems click-baity, and based on bullshit. I have no doubt that the SOX "have interest" in Conforto, just like they "have interest" in Trout. It does NOT necessarily mean that there's any meaningful link there, if there is no means or will to actually get it done.

Given the luxury tax situation, Conforto's agent, and Conforto's market value, I'd be stunned if Levine had anything here. But then, blind squirrel, stuck watch, and all...

Edited by Two-Gun Pete

3 minutes ago, Two-Gun Pete said:

I'm sure the SOX do "have interest" in Conforto. They should, because he's been a good player. Just like I "have interest" in getting to know Ms America.

But one wonders if the SOX having "interest" in Conforto is like the SOX "checking in on Semien." At the same time, the title of this thread isn't, "Levine says SOX are interested in Conforto." The thread title is, "Levine LINKS SOX to Conforto," which sounds a bit more dodgy.

See, whenever Levine says something, it usually means that the opposite will occur. It seems click-baity, and based on bullshit.

Given the luxury tax situation, Conforto's agent, and Conforto's market value, I'd be stunned if Levine had anything here. But then, blind squirrel, stuck watch, and all...

It is fairly lazy to make assumptions based on message board thread title from a tweet gathered from listening to a radio interview in order to create reasons to get upset about.

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, southsider2k5 said:

It is fairly lazy to make assumptions based on message board thread title from a tweet gathered from listening to a radio interview in order to create reasons to get upset about.

True, but there's a history here.

Weren't we "checking in on Semien" just a few weeks ago? How'd that go?

12 minutes ago, BamaDoc said:

Trying to remember, did I see one ownership proposal eliminated FA draft pick compensation?  I have no interest with a poor farm system of giving up a high pick for 1 year of Conforto.

If the Sox sign Conforto, it won't be for one year.

It sounds like the QO is going away, but not necessarily draft pick compensation. From what I read, sounded like the team losing an elite player to FA may still get something in the draft, but necessary "from" the signing team.  

With Conforto being offered the QO before the CBA expired, not exactly sure how that would be ruled, but assume this year's FA's with the QO attached will still be subject to draft pick compensation.  

Edited by ChiSox59

1 hour ago, Two-Gun Pete said:

True, but there's a history here.

Weren't we "checking in on Semien" just a few weeks ago? How'd that go?

I agree. There should only be threads about players that the Sox are rumored to be interested and also acquire. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, ChiSox59 said:

Anderson SS, Moncada 3B, Robert CF, Abreu 1B, Eloy DH, Grandal C, Vaughn LF, Conforto RF, Leury 2B is a heck of a lineup.  Sign a good defensive 2B and push Leury to supersub where he belongs and its absolutely stacked.  You can mix up the order a bit if you want, can pretty much roll them out however you want 2-8 and its going to be good.  

Certainly not the best defensive team out there, but not much you can really do about that at this point.  Its why we need at least an average defensive RF and a good defensive 2B tho. 

A glove first 2B shouldn't be hard to find or cost much.  With a lineup from 1-8 that is completely stacked, you can live with one ok bat hitting 9th.  There is zero need to compromise your OF defense any further with a platoon of 1B pretending to be RF.  RF is the hole to spend your $$ / trade assets on, not a 2B.

• Thanks 1

48 minutes ago, raBBit said:

I agree. There should only be threads about players that the Sox are rumored to be interested and also acquire. 

That would be one approach. Or, (and hear me out on this), maybe cite someone with a better track record than Levine, and/or use less click-baity wording.

Once again, based on Levine's track record and what he actually said, the SOX are "linked to Conforto" to the same degree that you or I are "linked" to a 25 year old Sofia Vergara.

3 minutes ago, Two-Gun Pete said:

That would be one approach. Or, (and hear me out on this), maybe cite someone with a better track record than Levine, and/or use less click-baity wording.

Once again, based on Levine's track record and what he actually said, the SOX are "linked to Conforto" to the same degree that you or I are "linked" to a 25 year old Sofia Vergara.

Or

And this might be crazy...

But if you see such an offensive and objectionable thread title, keep on scrolling past it.

One thing I think worth pointing out is that we’re in the “all-in” phase right now and our roster is worse than the one we ended with last year.  The bullpen as it sits right now is stronger with the addition of Graveman and Kimbrel not possibly being worse, but we’ve lost 24 elite starts from Rodon and currently have a black hole at 2B.  Point is, there is no way in hell Hahn doesn’t make some major moves once the lockout is over.

As such, Conforto is far from a pipe dream.  In fact, I truly believe he’s our #1 priority this offseason.  I can’t stress this enough, but dude is elite against RHP when healthy, which is evident by his 143 wRC+ vs. righties from 2017 to 2020 (10th overall in MLB).  And while not a great defender, he’s more or less an average RF defensively when healthy based on both scouting reports & advanced metrics.  If you look at our positional group, the biggest need we have is adding a legit LH power bat who can play RF or 2B.  Given what’s available at 2B in free agency, Conforto is without the best free agent target for us, especially when his contract demands should fit right in JR’s wheels house.

I’ll keep shouting it, but Conforto is the biggest no-brainer target for us since Grandal & Wheeler.  And I’d be shocked if we don’t make an incredibly aggressive offer to him as soon as the CBA is in place.  Maybe we get Wheeler’d, but in my heart of hearts I think Michael Conforto is the starting RF on the southside next year.  The fact that Levine is connecting us is irrelevant as the strategic rationale & fit is simply too strong to ignore.  And the fact James has also heard us rumblings about our interest should make everyone optimistic.

Get it the fuck done Hahn!!

15 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

One thing I think worth pointing out is that we’re in the “all-in” phase right now and our roster is worse than the one we ended with last year.  The bullpen as it sits right now is stronger with the addition of Graveman and Kimbrel not possibly being worse, but we’ve lost 24 elite starts from Rodon and currently have a black hole at 2B.  Point is, there is no way in hell Hahn doesn’t make some major moves once the lockout is over.

As such, Conforto is far from a pipe dream.  In fact, I truly believe he’s our #1 priority this offseason.  I can’t stress this enough, but dude is elite against RHP when healthy, which is evident by his 143 wRC+ vs. righties from 2017 to 2020 (10th overall in MLB).  And while not a great defender, he’s more or less an average RF defensively when healthy based on both scouting reports & advanced metrics.  If you look at our positional group, the biggest need we have is adding a legit LH power bat who can play RF or 2B.  Given what’s available at 2B in free agency, Conforto is without the best free agent target for us, especially when his contract demands should fit right in JR’s wheels house.

I’ll keep shouting it, but Conforto is the biggest no-brainer target for us since Grandal & Wheeler.  And I’d be shocked if we don’t make an incredibly aggressive offer to him as soon as the CBA is in place.  Maybe we get Wheeler’d, but in my heart of hearts I think Michael Conforto is the starting RF on the southside next year.  The fact that Levine is connecting us is irrelevant as the strategic rationale & fit is simply too strong to ignore.  And the fact James has also heard us rumblings about our interest should make everyone optimistic.

Man, I wish we could have pulled this off. Probably wouldn't have signed Keuchel.

• Like 2

On 2/13/2022 at 4:54 PM, Y2Jimmy0 said:

That sort of deal makes no sense. The White Sox won’t forfeit their 2nd rounder for one year of Conforto. Also, nobody should be counting on Cespedes or Colas for anything. Either guy would be a bonus. 

Quit the Draft Picks BS.  How many 2nd Round Draft picks accrue over 5 years MLB service time…?  

I, or anyone, would think a Top International Prospect in their respective class should be counted on as future contributors to the Big League ball club…

10 hours ago, Chicago White Sox said:

My only concern is - does signing Conforto pretty much cap the money Jerry will spend on this team?

Because I doubt this team's starting staff is good enough to win a World Series. Unless people think Kopech is going to immediately blossom in to a TOR starter?

41 minutes ago, Sarava said:

My only concern is - does signing Conforto pretty much cap the money Jerry will spend on this team?

Because I doubt this team's starting staff is good enough to win a World Series. Unless people think Kopech is going to immediately blossom in to a TOR starter?

I fully agree we need to add a starter, but that will likely have to come via trade.  If so, zero reason we can’t afford both plus a 2B.  My guess is we trade for someone from the A’s, Reds, or Marlins and those guys have reasonable salaries.