2022-23 NFL Season thread

bmags

13 minutes ago, Tony said:

I don’t really know how you view this draft any other way than Poles not being a believer in Fields. Kind of seems like he is setting him up to fail.

I really think Poles is just like - I am going to stick to my board and do my thing and not overpay, no matter what. It's year one in his mind and no one has a gun to his head. Which I can appreciate - but boy you just aren't helping Fields. That said - I still think they could go out and acquire Metcalf and pay him (I think Metcalf wants to come to Chicago) and I probably would be willing to give up a future pick and/or a player to get him (but not a 1st rounder).  Metcalf is worth more - but are Seahawks really going to keep him?  

But the worse part is - maybe Poles absolutely loves Fields - but no matter what, because of how little Poles has done for Fields - we are going to hear the media and others question it and that is just another thing a young QB shouldn't have to deal with. 

6 minutes ago, The Beast said:

I am trying to understand why they didn’t pick Tolbert over this random dude from Tennessee.

I think it really boils down to one word.....Speed. 

Not that Tolbert was slow by any means, but we're talking 4.31 vs 4.49.

All off-season speed was a word got thrown around a ton. 

I will say this - the defense got a hell of a lot better today. Eddie Jackson finally has a partner who has real upside next to him for the first time in years (since what's his face went to the Packers as a free agent) and Johnson should have a good, young partner in crime at DB. This also means Graham (who showed some potential) can slide into the slot.  I expect we see more turnovers and a better Ejax as a result of this, so that part has me kind of excited.  

I go back to - if only they traded a 6th rounder for Cooper....oh well, lets hope this new wideout is good (I will say - he is supposedly fast but I didn't see it on tape (although I guess outrunning people in the SEC is pretty good tape in an of itself) - like he didn't play as fast as the tape). That said - it wasn't like he had some stud QB at Tennessee so this could be a guy who ends up being a dude. At very least - Fields is a guy who likes wideouts who can run and get in space; He isn't (at least yet) one of those throw the guy open / tight window QB's - so I do agree with there prioritization of speed. 

I will point out - with the theme of speed - I like Austin of Memphis (and Shakir from Boise). He is small - but damn is he fast.  Why not just throw a bunch of speed everywhere - spread things out, use Kmet in the middle - and than force defenses to try and match speed with speed (but smaller guys), thus opening up a ton of room for Fields in run-option and Montgomery to do work.  Would be perfectly fine with Poles giving up some capital to get a 4th rounder.  

Shakir I really like a lot.  

Evidently POles and Fields actually watched tape together of the potential wideouts and it sounds like Getsy is extremely high on the wideout they got. Fact Fields was watching film with Poles is actually a pretty good sign as I don't think that is super typical of a front office guy.  I like Nagy a lot on Twitter (Jim not Matt) and some of the short clips he showed at the Senior Bowl showed me a guy who looked like he was actually playing at his speed (he also took a big step forward this year).  

The Athletic’s review of the Velus pick:

71. Chicago Bears: Velus Jones Jr., WR, Tennessee

Jones (6 feet, 204) had 62 catches for 807 yards and seven touchdowns last season. He spent six years in college — four at USC and two more at Tennessee.

Prior to last season, Jones had never had more than 280 receiving yards in a season.

Jones has excellent speed (ran 4.31), but this is a head-scratching pick by the Bears. Jones ranked 182nd on Brugler’s big board. For a team with limited resources, why spend a Day 2 pick on a soon-to-be 25-year-old rookie slot receiver with one year of production? Maybe Jones will be great, but I don’t get this pick.

Grade: D

Edited by Chicago White Sox
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, Chisoxfn said:

Evidently POles and Fields actually watched tape together of the potential wideouts and it sounds like Getsy is extremely high on the wideout they got. Fact Fields was watching film with Poles is actually a pretty good sign as I don't think that is super typical of a front office guy.  I like Nagy a lot on Twitter (Jim not Matt) and some of the short clips he showed at the Senior Bowl showed me a guy who looked like he was actually playing at his speed (he also took a big step forward this year).  

I absolutely love that. The question will remain whether you coulda got him in the 5th though. That said it very much sounds like they had Fields in mind with that pick. 

The fact that Poles and Fields sat down and talked about a wide receiver he'd love to throw to reallllly makes me wonder if they talked about Pickens, who again, Fields knows. 

16 minutes ago, bmags said:

Bears should outsource their scouting to Bruglers big board so they can win the best Athletic grade trophy

More passive aggressive shots…I love it!   So you’re cool with using a 3rd round pick on a soon to be 25 year old WR who has one year of semi ok production?  Name me a single quality NFL WR who had a breakout age of +24.

17 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

More passive aggressive shots…I love it!   So you’re cool with using a 3rd round pick on a soon to be 25 year old WR who has one year of semi ok production?  Name me a single quality NFL WR who had a breakout age of +24.

I’ll look up the previous pandemic years and get back to you

• Like 2

In trying to make the argument for my DMIAA (Darnell Mooney is an ace) campaign I just saw a few noteworthy things I wanted to throw out there. 

This is on "Deep balls" which are throws over 15 yards...

• From Fields: 12/20 (60%) for 310 yards (15.5 yards/attempt)
  • From Dalton/Foles: 5/18 (28%) for 137 yards (7.6 yards/attempt)
    • Based on this, I would conclude that Mooney’s deep ball “struggles” were QB-driven, and expect that it should not be an issue – and perhaps could even be a strength – moving forward with Justin Fields.

Then the writer threw out "Explosive catch" data that said this...

• Fields: 65 targets, 10 explosive catches, 6.5 targets/explosive catch
    • Dalton/Foles: 74 targets, 4 explosive catches, 18.5 targets/explosive catch
  • When Justin Fields was throwing him the ball, Darnell Mooney was one of the more explosive WRs in the NFL; his 6.5 targets/explosive catch would have ranked 11th of the 33 WRs in this sample. Hopefully that can continue going forward, because the ability to both be a high-volume target and produce explosive plays efficiently would give Mooney immense value.

I really think.....especially given their time working out together this off-season(Mooney was living with Fields) that Mooney is gonna have just a monster year with Fields. I expect him to have over 1300 yards and be looked at as a real #1. 

Not going to pretend I know about these guys drafted, but can’t judge too much cuz it’s clear Pace really messed up the books and draft positioning.

Poles is wiping it clean and rebooting.

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

Lol…he started college in 2016 and played in 23 games across 2020 & 2021, but yeah let’s go blame the pandemic.

You are asking who broke out at age 24 and the reason that is possible is because of the pandemic. Maybe if nfl late bloomers like Rod smith (25 in year 1) and Adam Thielen ( 24 years old) had been in bigger programs their college arc would have been similar.

Glad for Jones he got that extra year and made the most of it in a better offense than 2020 (where he was second leading receiver). 

I’m guessing the bears could use Jones Jr in a Valdez Scantling role. He’s shorter, but fast. Scantling had a similar college career and was a 24 year old rookie with 800 yards receiving his senior year.

He may be that deep threat guy with super high Y/R.

Still think a Beasley/Landry role should be prioritized.

1 hour ago, Brian said:

Not going to pretend I know about these guys drafted, but can’t judge too much cuz it’s clear Pace really messed up the books and draft positioning.

Poles is wiping it clean and rebooting.

This.  The Bears were a disaster, and cleaning up after the mess needs to happen first.  The trading away of picks especially last year was such an awful idea for a team that was no where close to anything notetworthy, and so thin everywhere.

• Kyyle23 changed the title to 2022 NFL Season thread
  • knightni changed the title to 2022-23 NFL Season thread
  • bmags locked this topic