2022-23 NFL Season thread

bmags

13 minutes ago, bmags said:

Bears sign Michael Schofield, who played for the Chargers last year at G.

Big relief, though now that we are basically at camp I have come to grips with this being the worst bears roster since 2016 I think.

PFF did grade him slightly higher than Whitehair, so legit depth.

Dozier out, schofield in

1 minute ago, Kyyle23 said:

Dozier out, schofield in

yeah, honestly funny to me that process. "shit we just lost literally the worst guard in football...now we should replace him with a good football player"

The bears are very interesting in my emotions. I so desperately believe they needed to clear the decks and re-set for a year, but it is very difficult to undercut Fields. But also, Fields was not Justin Herbert last year. Or anything close, and I also think it's prudent to not act like the guy is the future when he still hasn't shown that. But also he can't show it when you put this offense out there with him. But also great QBs can still show to be good in shitty offenses. But I would have been fine with shitty position players as long as they had given him strong oline. And man, this one could really be awful. I am holding out hope this FO/coaching staff are super oline whisperers, but this looks bad.

It still sorta baffles me that Duane Brown and Eric Fisher are still free agents.  I still think the Bears need to sign one of them. Schofield is a good pickup and I would not be surprised if he ends up starting.  Whitehair is solid. I still wanna believe Jenkins can be a good RT. Green Bay center guy(Whose name obviously escapes me) is also a good football player. 

13 minutes ago, scs787 said:

It still sorta baffles me that Duane Brown and Eric Fisher are still free agents.  I still think the Bears need to sign one of them. Schofield is a good pickup and I would not be surprised if he ends up starting.  Whitehair is solid. I still wanna believe Jenkins can be a good RT. Green Bay center guy(Whose name obviously escapes me) is also a good football player. 

I think both are guys that know what it takes to be ready, teams know that, and both will try to wait for the first big tackle to miss significant time and make leverage there.

Lori Lightfoot is holding a press conference today to announce plans for Soldier Field. Too late, the Bears are moving to Arlington Heights. They want a state of the art stadium that they own and that will hold events year round including the Super Bowl, Final Four’s, etc. 

Edited by maloney.adam

26 minutes ago, maloney.adam said:

Lori Lightfoot is holding a press conference today to announce plans for Soldier Field. Too late, the Bears are moving to Arlington Heights. They want a state of the art stadium that they own and that will hold events year round including the Super Bowl, Final Four’s, etc. 

You mean offering to slap a roof on the smallest stadium in the league won’t get it done

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Kyyle23 said:

You mean offering to slap a roof on the smallest stadium in the league won’t get it done

friends of the park will not look kindly to the cities proposed plans of increasing amenities that may bring more people to the park, which goes against its main purpose of looking pretty for lakeview condo owners.

15 minutes ago, bmags said:

friends of the park will not look kindly to the cities proposed plans of increasing amenities that may bring more people to the park, which goes against its main purpose of looking pretty for lakeview condo owners.

They had their chance to make this stick 20 years ago and they chose to cheap out(bears and city alike).  This is what you get

36 minutes ago, Kyyle23 said:

Nope. A dome isn’t going to keep them around. The Bears want a state of the art stadium where they have full ownership rights to it. Arlington Heights offers that plus they can build an entertainment district and other amenities.

Edited by maloney.adam

37 minutes ago, bmags said:

now roquan holding out. Not gonna lie, I'm not sure I'd pay that guy.

His run defense grades have always been bad. He's fast and he's solid in pass coverage, but he gets eaten up in the run game. 

24 minutes ago, chw42 said:

His run defense grades have always been bad. He's fast and he's solid in pass coverage, but he gets eaten up in the run game. 

Yeah. I mean, obviously you have to spend money somewhere and he's good. But with WR money rising fast, and guard money rising fast...do I want $22 mill in a LB who has had some very inconsistent years and has held out twice in one contract? I unno.

5 hours ago, Kyyle23 said:

But we could get a spaceship sitting on top of a spaceship sitting on top of a terrible playing field!

Lori Lightfoot’s conference yesterday was a last ditch effort to convince the Bears to stay. Too late, they are moving to Arlington Heights and building a top notch stadium that they will fully own. Putting a dome on Soldier Field and adding seats isn’t going to keep the team around. They want full control of the stadium and the area surrounding the stadium. Plus the taxpayers aren’t going to want to pay 900 million-2.2 billion for a renovation and a dome when the debt from the first renovation hasn’t been paid off. 

1 hour ago, maloney.adam said:

Lori Lightfoot’s conference yesterday was a last ditch effort to convince the Bears to stay. Too late, they are moving to Arlington Heights and building a top notch stadium that they will fully own. Putting a dome on Soldier Field and adding seats isn’t going to keep the team around. They want full control of the stadium and the area surrounding the stadium. Plus the taxpayers aren’t going to want to pay 900 million-2.2 billion for a renovation and a dome when the debt from the first renovation hasn’t been paid off. 

Did everybody not see this coming back in 2002 when the renovation was done? A 21st century stadium was never going to fit inside the early 20th century facade. They should have found a way to build what they needed back then. Now was always going to be too late.

Now, should they move forward with putting a roof on the place so they can compete for more concerts/bowl games/NCAA tourney games? Perhaps.

Wow, I feel so much better about the O-line today. 

Bears sign Riley Reiff for a 1 year deal. 

What sticks out?

- Reiff had only 1 penalty last year (77th most)
- Schofield had only 3 penalties last year (44th most)

James Daniel had 9 (tied for 9th most)
Sam Mustipher had 5  (tied for 10th most)
Ifedi had 4

Lucas Patrick cuts against this trend, but overall hopefully we are seeing a more disciplined bunch because last year was ridiculous

If you look at last year, essentially the bears have moved from high play of Peters and smoothed out the worst play from mustipher:

2021 PFF grades

LT Jason Peters | 77.9
LG Cody Whitehair | 66.0
C Sam Mustipher | 51.8
RG James Daniels | 71.8
RT Larry Borom | 61.4

None of their additions graded as high as Daniels, Peters, but now:
LT Riley Reiff | 67.3 (but when LT he graded consistently in 70s, but this may be age decline)
LG Cody Whitehair | 66.0
C Lucas Patrick | 57.8
RG Michael Schofield | 66.8
RT Larry Borom| 61.4

You'd hope Borom improves in Year 2. You'd hope the competition behind Schofield, Borom maybe bring a surprise.

1 hour ago, CentralChamps21 said:

Did everybody not see this coming back in 2002 when the renovation was done? A 21st century stadium was never going to fit inside the early 20th century facade. They should have found a way to build what they needed back then. Now was always going to be too late.

Now, should they move forward with putting a roof on the place so they can compete for more concerts/bowl games/NCAA tourney games? Perhaps.

Putting a roof over Soldier Field is a mute point because the stadium is owned by the park district and the Bears want to own the stadium outright. Doesn’t matter what they try to do to entice them to stay, it will not work. Unless the park district relinquishes control of the stadium and the surrounding but there are legal issues and other issues so it won’t happen.

Edited by maloney.adam

We will see if Bears ownership wants to pay for a stadium in Arlington Heights because if not I hope my neighbors join me in not giving them a fucking dime to help fund the new stadium.  Would love them out in the burbs for going to games but if tax payers should never help fund stadium for ultra wealthy people, the economics never work out for the taxpayers 

Just now, whitesoxfan99 said:

We will see if Bears ownership wants to pay for a stadium in Arlington Heights because if not I hope my neighbors join me in not giving them a fucking dime to help fund the new stadium.  Would love them out in the burbs for going to games but if tax payers should never help fund stadium for ultra wealthy people, the economics never work out for the taxpayers 

I’m sorry 99 but we both know how this deal will end.  Boondoggles gonna boondoggle

I think the economic benefits is a bit comical. Is funding a stadium a great investment for a city? No. People like sports teams. They are paying to encourage professional sports teams to be in their city. Obviously the economic growth arguments don't hold water, but the "people like to live in cities with sports teams" argument is pretty strong:
"In 2003, Jerry Carlino and Ed Coulson used another method to measure the dollar value of the happiness that a team gives its city: how much people will pay to live there. Comparing 53 cities’ average rents in 1993 to those in 1999 and controlling for other variables, Carlino and Coulson found that the 24 Publicly Financed Stadiums cont. 25 presence of an NFL team raised annual rents 8 percent.22 Their cities included had an average monthly rent of $500, making that 8 percent premium worth about $480 per year in cities hosting NFL teams. Given that there are approximately 290,000 households in a typical city center, $480 translates to an “aggregate amenity value” of approximately $139 million per year. To put that into perspective, localities typically provide annual stadium subsidies in the range of $22-29 million, far less than the enjoyment it creates.23 By comparison, the annual value of one additional sunny day per person per year is estimated between $7 and $12.24 In the Twin Cities, with about 3 million people, the benefit of a new NFL stadium might well equal approximately 4-7 days of sunshine a year."

The NFL will help pay for the bears stadium, the bears will get private funding. And they will get local and state funding. And it's fine. Because a whole bunch of us want to live near a city with a football team, and talk about it.

Anyway, doesn't mean anyone has to be pumped about it since yes, they could pay for it. But sure doesn't seem like my friends in ST Louis enjoy having like $25 bucks a year in their pockes more than when they had an NFL team win the super bowl (they were screwed though).

• Kyyle23 changed the title to 2022 NFL Season thread
  • knightni changed the title to 2022-23 NFL Season thread
  • bmags locked this topic