Offseason Part 2 - Lets the Rumors & Action Begin

Chisoxfn

4 minutes ago, Squirmin' for Yermin said:

wow. I don't think I'd give him 5 million.  He's been pretty bad for 5 years now.  I'd much rather have had Martin Perez who just signed for 4 million.

Looked like a perfectly serviceable back end SP last season. Which is all Sox really need IMO. I’d love to add a legit ace, but it’s not happening. In that case, don’t see the point in trading useful assets for a short term mid rotation guy like Bassitt. If the trade target isn’t a slam dunk to slot in front of our current top 4 in a playoff rotation, why are we giving away assets instead of using FA? Makes no sense. 

Just now, ptatc said:

I would agree.  I think the platoon in RF is better than any internal option at 2B.

Vaughn and Sheets are just too slow though to play RF. We’re just going to get stuck again with Engel in CF and Garcia in RF far too often.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Sarava said:

Oh yeah that's fine.

But look at the Rodon deal, at least as far as we know. It's 2 years and 44 mil, with a reported opt out after 1. So if Carlos stays relatively healthy and performs similar to 2021 - he opts out for a big deal elsewhere. If he spends 3/4 of the year on the DL and is what the Sox feared - then he conveniently doesn't opt out and the Giants are stuck paying him for the 2nd season, for him to likely spend most of an additional season on the DL. Why is the risk only being taken by the teams and not then players? It's weird how he gets teams to agree to this crap.

Because top guys cost way more and sign for many years. If you can get a top guy for one great year and only sign him for 2 years $44M is nothing. Some teams are just not as risk adverse. Winning is more important.

You're also thinking he get's injured for both years and with that thinking yes that contract would suck.   Now with those innings under his belt from last year he's more likely to go a full season. He wasn't injured last year and his pitching showed that any previous injuries weren't a cause for concern. They also think that because of the mechanical changes last year with Katz that he might be less of an injury risk.

Just now, fathom said:

Vaughn and Sheets are just too slow though to play RF. We’re just going to get stuck again with Engel in CF and Garcia in RF far too often.

I agree. I would prefer not to go with the RF platoon. But he said top priority. I would focus on 2B first.

1 hour ago, Sarava said:

Oh yeah that's fine.

But look at the Rodon deal, at least as far as we know. It's 2 years and 44 mil, with a reported opt out after 1. So if Carlos stays relatively healthy and performs similar to 2021 - he opts out for a big deal elsewhere. If he spends 3/4 of the year on the DL and is what the Sox feared - then he conveniently doesn't opt out and the Giants are stuck paying him for the 2nd season, for him to likely spend most of an additional season on the DL. Why is the risk only being taken by the teams and not then players? It's weird how he gets teams to agree to this crap.

It means other teams didn't offer the option out