Offseason Part 2 - Lets the Rumors & Action Begin

Chisoxfn

19 minutes ago, HahnsKiddieTable said:

I’d pass on Cano. McNeil at 2B would be good but call me greedy we still need a RF

McNeil is a Swisher/Eaton hybrid who is a terrible fit for this squad in the clubhouse and that's a serious concern. 

That said he's a quality 2B/RF that hits from the left side who's available at a discount for the same reasons stated above. 

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, HahnsKiddieTable said:

I’d pass on Cano. McNeil at 2B would be good but call me greedy we still need a RF

McNeil can also play RF and Nimmo has only a yr. left on his contract. Mets need pitching and want salary relief . Cano would be a non factor in the trade since it's only to give the Mets CBT space for this yr and next yr. They'd have to take Keuchel and give up decent talent (Nimmo, McNeil.Nido Mauricio or other prospect) if they are truly serious about shedding salary. Besides Keuchel the Sox can give up Collins  and or Engel . Enegl and McNeil both 30 and making just about the same salary. We wouldnt need Engel with McNeil and Nimmo.

12 minutes ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

I thought it was a pretty even trade but only if the Mets are serious about shedding some salary and winning now. It does leave plenty of trade capital to trade for pitching. The only problem I see for the Sox with this trade is next yrs payroll. But it brings in a lot of talent.

Not sure Cano can still play 2nd regularly but might be a platooner w/Leury. McNeil might be a better fit than Mauricio or other MILB prospects. Nido is perfect as backup C.

2 minutes ago, Flash said:

Not sure Cano can still play 2nd regularly but might be a platooner w/Leury. McNeil might be a better fit than Mauricio or other MILB prospects. Nido is perfect as backup C.

Yeah I'm just thinking Cano as being a nothing burger with the young talent coming back as keys to that trade along with solving some problem areas without counting on Cano to provide anything .

4 minutes ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

Yeah I'm just thinking Cano as being a nothing burger with the young talent coming back as keys to that trade along with solving some problem areas without counting on Cano to provide anything .

Almost 39 owed $48 million.  That's about as big of a nothing burger there is.

13 minutes ago, Jack Parkman said:

Same here. I have no idea what the Sox have that the Mets would want, other than players that can't afford to be traded. 

Gotta think big trade not small. Mets want salary relief and pitching. We have pitching but not great pitching but if Cano is involved it opens up a lot of things mostly getting a haul of good young players for at least one of our pitchers we want to move Keuchel or Kimbrel. Sox can ask for Nimmo for a yr or McNeil for his 3 yrs left, trade Collins for Nido and get back a top prospect for that extra ugly yr of Cano.

Like you said before not likely because no one ever can make up a big trade like that and see it come to fruition  but the framework for a trade is there. Maybe the Mets could eat some of that Cano salary for a lesser prospect instead of one of their top ones. Plenty of ways to rework it.

Edited by CaliSoxFanViaSWside

11 minutes ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

Gotta think big trade not small. Mets want salary relief and pitching. We have pitching but not great pitching but if Cano is involved it opens up a lot of things mostly getting a haul of good young players for at least one of our pitchers we want to move Keuchel or Kimbrel. Sox can ask for Nimmo for a yr or McNeil for his 3 yrs left, trade Collins for Nido and get back a top prospect for that extra ugly yr of Cano.

Like you said before not likely because no one ever can make up a big trade like that and see it come to fruition  but the framework for a trade is there. Maybe the Mets could eat some of that Cano salary for a lesser prospect instead of one of their top ones. Plenty of ways to rework it.

If there was a time to think big, that might have been November. More time, more FA options left for the Mets to use the space they’d clear.

Right now feels way more like “get an answer on every exam question before you’re out of time, don’t waste all your time on one problem” pressure.

6 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

If there was a time to think big, that might have been November. More time, more FA options left for the Mets to use the space they’d clear.

Right now feels way more like “get an answer on every exam question before you’re out of time, don’t waste all your time on one problem” pressure.

Mets signed Starte, Canha and Escobar and pushed themselves up against the CBT in late November. The lockout started Dec. 2nd and just ended and now the Mets want salary relief. There wasn't time between when they made their FA signings and the time the lockout started to do anything with the Mets.

Edited by CaliSoxFanViaSWside