Offseason Part 2 - Lets the Rumors & Action Begin

Chisoxfn

50 minutes ago, caulfield12 said:

Dream on.  Has there even once been any insider naming the Sox as an interested party?

It's been so long since the Sox signed a major FA, I can't remember if Grandal or Keuchel were seriously rumored beforehand. Obviously when the Sox make marquee trades, those usually come out of nowhere. I'm clinging to the unrealistic hope that Bryant is their main target and they're finding a way to stay of the rumor mill for him right now. He's been linked to Seattle a little bit, but it's not like you're seeing Passan, Rosenthal, etc linking him with 6 different teams right now or something.

31 minutes ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

Damn that was a smooth answer. I have no idea the rationale behind anyone saying they wouldn't do that trade except for just blind faith in Kopech. The kid could be the next Seaver but he ain't that now while at the same time saying no to an extra $10M ?

I love Kopech as much as anyone, but if you can turn him into 3 years of a top 10 (conservatively) starting pitcher, that is the biggest no-brainer of all-time.

But the Brewers aren't trading Woodruff. Imagine if the Sox would have traded Giolitto last off-season for a high end pitching prospect. Not happening.

1 minute ago, maxjusttyped said:

It's been so long since the Sox signed a major FA, I can't remember if Grandal or Keuchel were seriously rumored beforehand. Obviously when the Sox make marquee trades, those usually come out of nowhere. I'm clinging to the unrealistic hope that Bryant is their main target and they're finding a way to stay of the rumor mill for him right now. He's been linked to Seattle a little bit, but it's not like you're seeing Passan, Rosenthal, etc linking him with 6 different teams right now or something.

No, there was hardly any chatter before the Sox signed Grandal and Keuchel signings. I remember being really excited when I saw those tweets because those moves came out of nowhere. There were rumors linking the Sox to Hendriks though before he signed here.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, maxjusttyped said:

I love Kopech as much as anyone, but if you can turn him into 3 years of a top 10 (conservatively) starting pitcher, that is the biggest no-brainer of all-time.

But the Brewers aren't trading Woodruff. Imagine if the Sox would have traded Giolitto last off-season for a high end pitching prospect. Not happening.

Preaching to the choir but as you witnessed there are some who wouldn't do it.

42 minutes ago, caulfield12 said:

Well, you'd think with one of the, what, five most iconic players in the city of Chicago over the last decade that there would be SOME noise?

34 minutes ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

Really? Harrison and Velaquez when there's like 25 guys big names people want to break the news on . No one cares about Harrison and Velasquez , they aren't feathers in anyone's caps .

Should've made it green I guess

3 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

Do you have an equity stake in the site?  Don’t know why you take rips against it personally.

I don't take anything on a fan site seriously. I just get a kick out of the know it alls who make rediculous proclamations as though they are entitled to a point of view as long as they sound assertive. I acknowledged BTV was off on Moncada (since corrected) but I actually think its a great site and find their surplus value analysis quite credible but then who needs independent perspective when you can just make empty pronouncements.  

I know it’s premature and it still sounds like there is hope for the Sox to add to the rotation and maybe more, but let me complain about the RF situation for a second. Last winter Hahn brought in Eaton when Brantley was available, in 2020, he brought in Mazara when Castellanos was available. In 2019, they could have spent the big bucks and signed Bryce Harper, but opted to give Palka and Leury a majority of playing time. In 2018 it was Nicky Delmonico and the list continues… Hahn also says every winter that they will always look to add at the trade deadline if needed. Well it will always be “needed” because the Sox constantly go bargain bin shopping for right fielders, the one constant hole on this team since Jermaine Dye.  For ONCE spend some $$ and fill the damn hole. At this point I don’t give a damn if it’s Conforto or Castellanos, but it’s safe to say, a premium RF addition is LONG OVERDUE!!! 

Edited by GreatScott82
  • Like 4

5 minutes ago, South Side Fireworks Man said:

Nope.  I didn't say I expect the Sox to get Bryant.  I just said that I want them to get Bryant.  I want the Sox to win the World Series too.  I don't expect them to win it either.

I was with you up until that final sentence.  

36 minutes ago, maxjusttyped said:

I don’t remember Grandal being heavily rumoured, it did seem out of the blue.  I want to say there was some expectation that they would pivot to Keuchel after Wheeler went to Philly but I could be remembering wrong. 

17 minutes ago, Tnetennba said:

I don’t remember Grandal being heavily rumoured, it did seem out of the blue.  I want to say there was some expectation that they would pivot to Keuchel after Wheeler went to Philly but I could be remembering wrong. 

Yea there was Keuchel and Ryu and one other pitcher. Bumgarner perhaps ? They were rumored to be connected to both Ryu and Keuchel.

Edited by CaliSoxFanViaSWside

7 minutes ago, Flash said:

I don't take anything on a fan site seriously. I just get a kick out of the know it alls who make rediculous proclamations as though they are entitled to a point of view as long as they sound assertive. I acknowledged BTV was off on Moncada (since corrected) but I actually think its a great site and find their surplus value analysis quite credible but then who needs independent perspective when you can just make empty pronouncements.  

I have no problem with someone using baseballtradevalues as a reference point, the issue is you using it as the end all because they’re “independent”.  Their prospect valuations are bad and they routinely have issues similar to the Moncada one, which you fought tirelessly against for a period of time.  But hey, keep taking cheap shots because you don’t like people critiquing a website you like.

I know everyone wants a RF big ticket (conforto making the most sense), but with Colas and Cespedes in the pipeline...i just dont see Hahn wanting to commit more than 2 years into a FA, and them genuinely trying to figure out what to do with Vaughn. Honestly the best case scenario would be sign Conforto to a 4 year deal with an opt out after 1 or 2 years to maximize the window and look to the future. Is Hahn and most of all Jerry willing to do an opt out deal? I really dont see the downside of doing something like that.

8 minutes ago, EloyJenkins said:

I know everyone wants a RF big ticket (conforto making the most sense), but with Colas and Cespedes in the pipeline...i just dont see Hahn wanting to commit more than 2 years into a FA, and them genuinely trying to figure out what to do with Vaughn. Honestly the best case scenario would be sign Conforto to a 4 year deal with an opt out after 1 or 2 years to maximize the window and look to the future. Is Hahn and most of all Jerry willing to do an opt out deal? I really dont see the downside of doing something like that.

Our competitive window is now, you get the guy who’s going to improve the team at present the most and worry about the Cespedes/Colas problem in 2 years.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, EloyJenkins said:

the sox are in a championship window. basing any decisions on two prospects who’ve barely even played minor league ball would be highly imprudent. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, EloyJenkins said:

I'm sure they would be since he probably wants to prove last yr was a fluke. He may want to opt out after the 1st year and try again with the tighter defensive rules in play about the shift. The again if he can get a 4 or 5 yr deal worth from $80- $100M there might be no need to opt out.

4 minutes ago, thedoctor said:

the sox are in a championship window. basing any decisions on two prospects who’ve barely even played minor league ball would be highly imprudent. 

I didnt say it was the right decision...i am just trying to understand why hahn & company havent at least put in a competitive offer yet

2 minutes ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

I'm sure they would be since he probably wants to prove last yr was a fluke. He may want to opt out after the 1st year and try again with the tighter defensive rules in play about the shift. The again if he can get a 4 or 5 yr deal worth from $80- $100M there might be no need to opt out.

From everything I’ve heard, he wants to get paid for his career numbers and not 2021