Offseason Part 2 - Lets the Rumors & Action Begin

Chisoxfn

1 hour ago, FriendlyNorthsider said:

I'm usually less doom-and-gloom then most here (largely because I like the Sox and don't love them like you all do, but I cant really understand what Hahn is doing. I'm a little late to this discussion so I'm going to go back a bit.

I didn't like the decision to not send Rodon a QO at the time and it obviously looks like a poor decision now. "Worst" case in extending the offer is that you have a guy that finished top 5 in the CY voting back for 1 year 18 million. More likely than not, he would've rejected the offer to try and get a little more security in a pitching-poor free agency. The Sox are not in a position to be turning away Comp picks at the moment. Beyond that, we have no idea how Kopech will hold up getting stretched out without a true off-season. 

If the money was the issue, then why choose to pick up Kimbrel's option. If the plan was to sign Kelly and Graveman then why pick up Kimbrel's contract unless you were sure he had surplus value. I hope I am wrong and that Hahn has a buyer for Kimbrel out there. The problem is that the buyer needs to come before Castellanos, Schwarber, and Conforto go off the board unless JR is willing to sign off on approaching the Tax. I'd be curious if the Sox wouldve been able to pick up Winkler on the cheap if they could pick up his contract.

The Sox are still by far the best team in the ALC and it's not like the rest of the AL has gotten better. I just hope there is a Kimbrel trade / Conforto signing coming to make this make more sense

I can’t understand what Hahn’s plan is with all of the relievers. Imagine if the starters they project to use get in trouble and the offense goes quiet, it doesn’t matter if they have a nasty bullpen. It made sense to go get another starter to replace Rodon and make this team on par with last year’s team. Then, get an actual right fielder who isn’t another Sheets/Vaughn/Engel type and make this team better than last year. Those moves would have made a lot more sense to me, in addition to offering Rodon the QO.

5 hours ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

I generally agree with you on a lot of things about the offseason. I sure wouldn't complain about Suzuki being added. But I don't think the need for a LH masher is overblown. That 108wRC plus came against some terrible RHP in the division. A team like the Indians with some pretty good RH SP they went 9-9 against the Sox.

Good LHH on the Astro's were Brantley, Alvarez and Tucker. The Braves had Freeman and Albies with 30 or more HR and Rosario got super hot in the early rounds of the playoffs. The 2020 Dodgers had Bellinger, Corey Seager, Muncy and Pederson who contributed massively in the World Series. The 2020 Rays had Kiermaier, Lowe and Wendle all with 3.4, 4.7 and 3.8 bWAR respectively.

The Sox RHH combined for 2 doubles  in the series with the Astros one by Leury and the other by Vaughn PH for SHeets . The only HR's came from Sheets, Leury and Grandal all hitting LH,which isn't exactly Bellinger, Freeman, Seager, Brantley, Alvarez, Tucker, Muncy, Kiermaier Wendle or Lowe,with established pop or high seasonal WAR.

It would be nice if Robert and Eloy could establish some consistent power from the right side instead of consistently being injured. It would also be real nice if Moncada could establish himself as a guy who could at least stay around a .450 SLg percentage instead of the paltry.412 (.431 against RHP) he put up with a late season run the finally got him above .400. His WAR is just fine but it's been driven by fielding and OBP not a slugging bat. Grandal is getting older and also prone to injury . He had 440 PA but only 279AB because that walk rate was crazy high. SO if our 2 best LHH who are actually switch hitters are  our 2 best OBP guys someone else needs to knock them in which is where another established LH power hitter comes into play.

I absolutely agree we could do better against quality RHP, but that doesn’t necessarily mean we have to go after an LHH RF. Castellanos for example is an RHH but has hit RHP the as well as he did LHP the last two years. We don’t have the data for Suzuki, but there is little indication his L/R split is drastic. At this point we think or we hope their endgame is Conforto, but if we miss on him, the other LHH options left either don’t hit RHP as well as the two guys I mentioned, can’t field well, doesn’t play RF, or all of the above. It’s just a bad strategy to be fixated on one requirement and rule out other options that do not meet this requirement.

Edited by thxfrthmmrs
  • Like 1

25 minutes ago, thxfrthmmrs said:

I absolutely agree we could do better against quality RHP, but that doesn’t necessarily mean we have to go after an LHH RF. Castellanos for example is an RHH but has hit RHP the as well as he did LHP the last two years. We don’t have the data for Suzuki, but there is little indication his L/R split is drastic. At this point we think or we hope their endgame is Conforto, but if we miss on him, the other LHH options left either don’t hit RHP as well as the two guys I mentioned, can’t field well, doesn’t play RF, or all of the above. It’s just a bad strategy to be fixated on one requirement and rule out other options that do not meet this requirement.

I think the idea that everyone is fixated on one requirement is something of a straw man also. If a LH hitter was all people wanted, there should be more interest in Schwarber.

What you actually see is a preference for Castellanos because after some consideration of how injury and COVID affected his 2021 performance, he’s the only one who can give lineup balance and a defensive upgrade.

Schwarber balances the lineup but provides no defensive help. Suzuki probably provides defense and would be a decent bat but that lineup balance is important. Castellanos provides none of those but apparently hits home runs at inopportune time.

2 hours ago, Chicago White Sox said:

What you have done this offseason out of curiosity?

I've sat back and wondered what Hahn would do with Kimbrel and who he would acquire to play second base. I didn't think anybody would take Kimbrel. Looks like I was right. I did read in todays Sun Times that the bad guys on the Northside want to improve there bullpen. Maybe Kimbrel will wind up on the Northside again after he eventually gets  released by the White Sox.

2 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

I think the idea that everyone is fixated on one requirement is something of a straw man also. If a LH hitter was all people wanted, there should be more interest in Schwarber.

What you actually see is a preference for Castellanos because after some consideration of how injury and COVID affected his 2021 performance, he’s the only one who can give lineup balance and a defensive upgrade.

Schwarber balances the lineup but provides no defensive help. Suzuki probably provides defense and would be a decent bat but that lineup balance is important. Castellanos provides none of those but apparently hits home runs at inopportune time.

When is an “inopportune time” to hit a homerun?

39 minutes ago, thxfrthmmrs said:

I absolutely agree we could do better against quality RHP, but that doesn’t necessarily mean we have to go after an LHH RF. Castellanos for example is an RHH but has hit RHP the as well as he did LHP the last two years. We don’t have the data for Suzuki, but there is little indication his L/R split is drastic.

It’s just a bad strategy to be fixated on one requirement and rule out other options that do not meet this requirement.

Exactly this.

The list of LHH RFers that have an ability to cromulently play the position, AND are available is a list of one guy. One guy who comes pre-injured, is > 30, has an asshole for an agent, and who has a laundry list of suitors. Oh, and his contract ask would be the franchise record as well.

Its setting your entire offseason up for FURTHER disaster to do it this way. I agree with you, that it's better to secure a competent everyday RFer NOW, and then use the TDL to finish the roster in time for the postseason. 

Edited by Two-Gun Pete

12 minutes ago, Bob Sacamano said:

Conforto???

11 minutes ago, Squirmin' for Yermin said:

You forgot to add the guy we all want, Conforto!!! 

Yeah, interesting omission.  Maybe it means something, maybe it doesn't.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Bob Sacamano said:

When is an “inopportune time” to hit a homerun?

Right in the middle of a sentence during an interview with someone else. It’s quite the running gag on on and Castellanos hits a deep drive to left and that’s a two run homer.

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, Balta1701 said:

What if he’s moved for a trivial return and they have to eat $4 or $5 million? 

I mean, if Rick assumed that he could move Kimbrel and had to eat $4M to $5M and got nothing of value then yes that’s really bad.  If Hahn eats any money, then they better be getting quality asset in return.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Bob Sacamano said:

Who do people prefer? I like Montas’ 2 years control. Don’t know the cost though.

Manaea is a Lefty, yes?

edit - He is.  Give me the Lefty.  I think he’d come cheaper in trade but I wouldn’t say no to either. 

Edited by Tnetennba
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, Bob Sacamano said:

Who do people prefer? I like Montas’ 2 years control. Don’t know the cost though.

Manaea has a better track record, but Montas has the control and higher upside IMO. If we are looking for innings, I think Manaea is the better fit. And he should be cheaper to get too.

• Like 3