Offseason Part 2 - Lets the Rumors & Action Begin

Chisoxfn

15 minutes ago, JoeCredeYes said:

Last year he played 800 innings of league average 2B, put up a better offensive WAR and OPS than your precious Michael Conforto and costs nothing.  If he sucks, deal for a 2B before the deadline.  

He's 35 years old and in 2018, 2019 and 2020 he put up a total of zero fWAR combined. 

A team with championship aspirations shouldn't have Josh f'ing Harrison as their starting 2nd baseman. He was RELEASED by the fucking Tigers two years ago. 

• Like 3

Just now, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

He's 35 years old and in 2018, 2019 and 2020 he put up a total of zero fWAR combined. 

A team with championship aspirations shouldn't have Josh f'ing Harrison as their starting 2nd baseman. He was RELEASED by the fucking Tigers two years ago. 

If this offense/team needs elite production out of their 2B then something went terribly wrong. 

1 minute ago, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

I like how you bleeped the one in his name and then went with the full cursing out of the Tigers.

• Like 1
  • Haha 5

2 minutes ago, JoeCredeYes said:

If this offense/team needs elite production out of their 2B then something went terribly wrong. 

Elite production?

How about someone who isn't worse than the guy they let go, Cesar, and who signed for cheaper than Harrison???! The Sox signed Harrison for more than Cesar signed for. The last three years there's literally nothing about Harrison's game that is better than Cesars and Cesar is a good bit younger. The incompetence of the Harrison signing deserves all the ridicule it can get.

Edited by Look at Ray Ray Run
  • Like 2

Just now, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

Elite production?

How about someone who isn't worse than the guy they let go, Cesar, and who signed for cheaper than Harrison???! The Sox signed Harrison for more than Cesar signed for. The last three years there's literally nothing about Harrison's game that is better than Cesars. 

Yeah, I'd have rather just resigned Ceasar than brought in Harrison loll

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

So you pick the 3 years where he was hurt for 2 of them, yeah....I'd imagine his output isn't very good, when he isn't playing.

• Haha 1
  • Love 2

Just now, MiddleCoastBias said:

This sounds like San Diego sees there are fewer teams remaining preventing Freddie from going to the Dodgers, so they're just going to try to drive LA's price up. Bet this is over soon and he's a Dodger.

Or maybe Freddie's market is way lower than expected and their jumping in now.. ala Machado

6 minutes ago, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

Elite production?

How about someone who isn't worse than the guy they let go, Cesar, and who signed for cheaper than Harrison???! The Sox signed Harrison for more than Cesar signed for. The last three years there's literally nothing about Harrison's game that is better than Cesars and Cesar is a good bit younger. The incompetence of the Harrison signing deserves all the ridicule it can get.

Did you not watch Cesar last year?  Clearly didn't want to be here and crumbled under the pressure of being on a winning team.  Bunch of speculation that he was a bad clubhouse fit.  Every A's fan loves Harrison, he can also play anywhere on the field, which Cesar was clearly incapable of.  

10 minutes ago, Capn12 said:

So you pick the 3 years where he was hurt for 2 of them, yeah....I'd imagine his output isn't very good, when he isn't playing.

OK, let's go back to 2015.

Josh Harrison since 2015 has one season over 2 fWAR. He's accumulated 6.5 fWAR total in 677 games. Even with going back to his prime years, he has averaged a whopping 1.5 fWAR per 162 games. He is now about to be 35 and his game has regressed, he apparently had an injury problem for three years in a row lol, and he's projected to be a 1 WAR player by pretty much every metric. 

The guy he was signed to REPLACE as the starter, who I have dogged on endlessly as having no business starting for a championship calibar team, has averaged 1.7 fWAR since 2017, is 5 years younger, and was better last year (Leury)

I have no idea how anyone in their right mind could defend signing Josh Harrison to START!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Just now, JoeCredeYes said:

Did you not watch Cesar last year?  Clearly didn't want to be here and crumbled under the pressure of being on a winning team.  Bunch of speculation that he was a bad clubhouse fit.  Every A's fan loves Harrison, he can also play anywhere on the field, which Cesar was clearly incapable of.  

Where was this phantom speculation. 

The irony of this post is that for as bad as Cesar was since his acquistion by the Sox, Josh Harrison was about as bad after he was acquired by Oakland. 

What winning pedigree does Josh Harrison have? A's fans loved a guy who had a .637 OPS and a .296 OBP. What in the world?

1 minute ago, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

OK, let's go back to 2015.

Josh Harrison since 2015 has one season over 2 fWAR. He's accumulated 6.5 fWAR total in 677 games. Even with going back to his prime years, he has averaged a whopping 1.5 fWAR per 162 games. He is now about to be 35 and his game has regressed, he apparently had an injury problem for three years in a row lol, and he's projected to be a 1 WAR player by pretty much every metric. 

The guy he was signed to REPLACE as the starter, who I have dogged on endlessly as having no business starting for a championship calibar team, has averaged 1.7 fWAR since 2017, is 5 years younger, and was better last year. 

I have no idea how anyone in their right mind could defend signing Josh Harrison to START!

The OP and myself have not mentioned him starting, you strawmanned that one.  They obviously plan to play Leury a bunch at 2B, but like I said, if the 2B plan isn't working out just get a guy in the season.  There's no sense in melting down over a 1 year depth piece deal. 

1 minute ago, JoeCredeYes said:

The OP and myself have not mentioned him starting, you strawmanned that one.  They obviously plan to play Leury a bunch at 2B, but like I said, if the 2B plan isn't working out just get a guy in the season.  There's no sense in melting down over a 1 year depth piece deal. 

The guy was signed to be the starter. I'm not sure what you've missed.

It's not a depth piece. The Sox don't have a second baseman. They let go of one who was cheaper and better than the guy they signed. There's no rational for the move. The Sox gave 5.5 million to a guy who was almost out of baseball two years ago.

After watching Hernandez in the 2nd half last year, no chance I wanted to watch him in a Sox uni again. I'm not saying Harrison is any better, but if the success/failure of the 2022 team, is hinged on Hernandez vs Harrison, we're screwed.

We're all assuming (hoping) that we went cheap at 2B, because a move for RF/SP is still to come. If it doesn't, then yeah...signing Harrison follows no logic, and is very Hahn/Sox-esque.

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, JoeCredeYes said:

This is such a weird line of argument, you should strive to get solid production from every spot in the lineup. They are paying $10mil/yr combined for Leury and Harrison which doesn’t make any sense.  

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Squirmin' for Yermin said:

Or maybe Freddie's market is way lower than expected and their jumping in now.. ala Machado

If his market was way lower than expected he'd probably be back in ATL and ATL doesn't give up a prospect package for Olson.  

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Capn12 said:

After watching Hernandez in the 2nd half last year, no chance I wanted to watch him in a Sox uni again. I'm not saying Harrison is any better, but if the success/failure of the 2022 team, is hinged on Hernandez vs Harrison, we're screwed.

We're all assuming (hoping) that we went cheap at 2B, because a move for RF/SP is still to come. If it doesn't, then yeah...signing Harrison follows no logic, and is very Hahn/Sox-esque.

Hernandez was a bad body language guy for sure. Harrison is a decent depth move and a stars and scrubs approach is fine, just sign another star for RF please.

Just now, GermanSoxFan said:

This is such a weird line of argument, you should strive to get solid production from every spot in the lineup. They are paying $10mil/yr combined for Leury and Harrison which doesn’t make any sense.  

It's the White Sox MO.

They try and nickle and dime star players, to the point that they usually lose them to other teams in FA. Meanwhile, they overpay for scrubs and don't care about the nickles and dimes for them. It's just backwards logic. Guys like Leury and Josh Harrison are a dime a dozen, in a lot of cases they can be had with minor league invites! The Sox feel the lock those guys in by overpaying whatever market they even have, and then they go cheap for actual impact players.

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, GermanSoxFan said:

By all means, provide the list of elite offensive 2B that were realistically available.  They have the 5th highest payroll in the league, I'm not sure what you guys were realistically expecting them to do.  Yeah, this is a standard Sox move, I don't love it, I don't hate it, it's a guy for 1 year that can play a position of need competently.  

• Like 2

1 minute ago, JoeCredeYes said:

By all means, provide the list of elite offensive 2B that were realistically available.  They have the 5th highest payroll in the league, I'm not sure what you guys were realistically expecting them to do.  Yeah, this is a standard Sox move, I don't love it, I don't hate it, it's a guy for 1 year that can play a position of need competently.  

but the position is still a need due to signing him lol. It didn't solve anything

3 minutes ago, JoeCredeYes said:

We have a dramatically different definition of competently. 

The Sox payroll scales because they waste so much money on these little trash moves. They have spent 13 million dollars on Harrison/Leury/Velasquez.

That's basically what it costs to get a guy like Jean Segura; an actual competent second baseman. 

Who would you rather have, Romy and Segura or that package of trash they have now?

• Like 1