Offseason Part 2 - Lets the Rumors & Action Begin

Chisoxfn

5 minutes ago, Bob Sacamano said:

Hypothetically, what else would have to be added with Kimbrel to get Lux having both Harrison and Leury on the bench? Cash or a prospect? 

If I’m reading this right, the Dodgers with Freeman are in the highest tier of the luxury tax already, so every dollar they add is taxed at 60%. While they’re rich, that is expensive - Kimbrel’s whole deal would cost them $25.6 million.

If you gave them Kimbrel and ate almost his entire contract, so that they’re adding a reliever for $2 million or so, that might well do it. Probably still have to add in a prospect to get equal value, but a reliever without the tax would be valuable to them. But, that’s like $15 million in dead money for the White Sox.

25 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

If I’m reading this right, the Dodgers with Freeman are in the highest tier of the luxury tax already, so every dollar they add is taxed at 60%. While they’re rich, that is expensive - Kimbrel’s whole deal would cost them $25.6 million.

If you gave them Kimbrel and ate almost his entire contract, so that they’re adding a reliever for $2 million or so, that might well do it. But, that’s like $15 million in dead money for the White Sox.

Yes, but it would only be for one year. It's the long term big contracts that are justifiably considered imprudent. The Sox front office routinely squanders that kind of money. A one time hit of $15 million is "chump change" for the owners. How the Dodgers view Bellinger is probably the biggest question. What do they expect from him? He was a world beater, and then his production collapsed, last year. If they think that he is going to provide the kind of production, he gave them in 2019, Kimbrel, plus a boat load of money, wouldn't be enough. He was an MVP and played out of his mind, that year. He's still so young that it would be hard to give up on him. On the other hand, he will be a free agent in just two years and the decision to award him a huge free agent contract, could be a difficult one.

L. A. could move Muncy to DH, where he is better suited, than he is at second base. That would make room for Lux at the keystone position. Their outfield would be fine with Pollock, Taylor and Betts. It would probably still be the best lineup in the National League, while improving the bullpen, providing that they view Kimbrel as still a viable closer.

Edited by Lillian

24 minutes ago, Lillian said:

Yes, but it would only be for one year. It's the long term big contracts that are justifiably considered imprudent. The Sox front office routinely squanders that kind of money. A one time hit of $15 million is "chump change" for the owners. How the Dodgers view Bellinger is probably the biggest question. What do they expect from him? He was a world beater, and then his production collapsed, last year. If they think that he is going to provide the kind of production, he gave them in 2019, Kimbrel, plus a boat load of money, wouldn't be enough. He was an MVP and played out of his mind, that year. He's still so young that it would be hard to give up on him. On the other hand, he will be a free agent in just two years and the decision to award him a huge free agent contract, could be a difficult one.

While it’s a 1 year cost, we are also dealing with white Sox ownership here. If they’re saying the payroll limit is $185 million, having that much dead money is an issue.

15 minutes ago, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

Funny thing is during the season I'm always accused of being too positive. During the off season it's the opposite. Spending 50 million on relievers will do that to a guy.

Yeah you’re definitely positive about the things that deserve it and also negative about the things that deserve it. That’s how I am.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, hogan873 said:

If the Sox only make one more significant move, would we rather see a trade for a SP (Manaea, Montas) or a signing of a RF (Conforto, Castellanos)?

Signing. They can try to make a deal at the trade deadline if they spend now. But the farm is too weak to trade now and then try to make another deal later this summer.

10 minutes ago, oneofthemikes said:

Signing. They can try to make a deal at the trade deadline if they spend now. But the farm is too weak to trade now and then try to make another deal later this summer.

They need to trade Kimbrel and they need another SP now.

Edited by maloney.adam

19 minutes ago, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

Funny thing is during the season I'm always accused of being too positive. During the off season it's the opposite. Spending 50 million on relievers will do that to a guy.

Funny you say that because I was just thinking, "Man, what happened to Ray Ray? He used to be one of my favorite posters, and now I want to strangle him."

Turns out I'm probably just too positive/optimistic most of the time, so I probably agree with you most of the time during the season and get annoyed with you during the offseason. I look forward to being friends again starting April 8. Cheers!

• Like 1

Jerry-Reinsdorf.jpg

Now for my next act.  If you think I am cheap now.  Wait till we need to start extending members of this core.  Hometown under-market discounts, sure.  Valid long-term deals and god forbid if their position is a pitcher.  Good luck.  Tony better win this year or the next.  

Edited by southsideirish71
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, hogan873 said:

If the Sox only make one more significant move, would we rather see a trade for a SP (Manaea, Montas) or a signing of a RF (Conforto, Castellanos)?

Conforto easy. Sox plenty good enough to win this division somewhat easily with current rotation. Grab a SP in July. 

18 minutes ago, southsideirish71 said:

Jerry-Reinsdorf.jpg

Now for my next act.  If you think I am cheap now.  Wait till we need to start extending members of this core.  Hometown under-market discounts, sure.  Valid long-term deals and god forbid if their position is a pitcher.  Good luck.  Tony better win this year or the next.  

I was thinking about this last night. Can you imagine a White Sox player getting a 7 year $182 million contract from JR? We'd best enjoy what we have.

Edited by Saufley

9 minutes ago, Bob Sacamano said:

I saw a Tweet that said the rebuilding Cubs have now given out a bigger contract that the White Sox in their competitive window. Damn.

The window is going to close soon.  They have 2-3 years to win before Jerry and his fiscal issues turn this into rebuild/reload.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, hogan873 said:

This is a tough call. Conforto will make more of a difference throughout the course of the season, but I feel like we will win the division no matter what.

A good SP will make more of a difference in a playoff series. For example, if we had Conforto for our series against the Astros, it wouldn't have made a difference at all. Our pitchers got pounded. One extra SP probably wouldn't have made a difference either, but you never know. All it takes is one pitcher to have a shut down game, and that series would have gone to game 5.

At the same time, there's a chance that Cease and Kopech have great years and are lights out in the playoffs (assuming we manage Kopech in a way that allows him to pitch in the playoffs).

8 hours ago, Jack Parkman said:

I just got roasted for saying that. 

LOL the owner of Soxtalk just called the front office trash. Certain people can say things like you and get roasted because almost everything you say is negative and you rinse and repeat. I don't see anything wrong with that . Opposing viewpoints is what makes a message board tick,but it does give the Soxtalk sunshiners some ammo .

But the poll showed the majority of people had no faith in the front office finishing the job. I'm not here saying it's a done deal. I'll believe they can do a little more until about a week until the season starts.

2 hours ago, Lillian said:

Good point. Perhaps the front office could accept a one year, small luxury tax, if they agreed to send back some money for Kimbrel's contract. The Dodgers probably wouldn't care that much about prospects, as they still have one of the better farm systems. Moreover, there isn't much in the Sox system that they would covet. A swap of Kimbrel and money, for Bellinger could certainly solve a few problems ie; move Kimbrel, fill the hole in RF for two years, and balance the lineup with some LH power. Nevertheless, the Sox would still need another starter.

You’re forgetting what they gave up for Scherzer and Turner…

Sad, knowing that with 1 signing (Conforto), Hahn/ownership could have almost the entire fandom, stoked about the season. But we spent that money on a closer we didn't need.

Most of us are still pretty excited about the season, but man....talk about not taking advantage of your window.

• Fire 1