Offseason Part 2 - Lets the Rumors & Action Begin

Chisoxfn

21 minutes ago, KBX said:

Vaughn panning out would allow them to let Abreu walk after this year. They're gonna be flirting with the CBT for a few years here, and they'll have a lot of contracts and regressions to deal with over the next two years, so having a guy who can match or eclipse Abreu's production at a low cost would be pretty damn clutch insofar as a 'sustained run of success' is concerned. 

Not to think too far ahead but I'd hate to see the FO hasten the return to vintage Sox ball, scrapping for 83 wins and a WC3 slot.

I doubt Abreu is going anywhere. My guess is he'll be playing 1B Sox another 3 years. The consensus of this board appears to be Vaughn is a subpar OF'r (I disagree). If he can't play a corner OF and Abreu is going nowhere for a while, what are the choices? Other than a small handfull of starters (Robert, TA, Yoan, Gio) Vaughn has the highest trade value and is made redundant by Abreu.

Just now, Flash said:

I doubt Abreu is going anywhere. My guess is he'll be playing 1B Sox another 3 years. The consensus of this board appears to be Vaughn is a subpar OF'r (I disagree). If he can't play a corner OF and Abreu is going nowhere for a while, what are the choices? Other than a small handfull of starters (Robert, TA, Yoan, Gio) Vaughn has the highest trade value and is made redundant by Abreu.

If Vaughn shows he can rake, especially along with Jimenez and Robert, then Abreu looks like a no brainer to trim, and Vaughn is a 1B by trade. But I do think the org is prone to keeping him around until he retires though. Then again, he might regress starting this year, and guys like Vaughn, Jiminez, Robert might come around and leave no doubt as to whether we'll have power going forward.

8 minutes ago, Flash said:

Lol, yes. Check surplus value w/Baseball Trade Values or whatever tool you feel is credible.

I give zero fucks about some online trade value website. John Means is a slightly above average SP with 3 years of increasing cost control. AV is a former #3 overall pick with the enormous offensive upside, can play LF or 1B, has 5 years of control, 2 prearb, fits Balts window better. It’s really not that close. But we can agree to disagree - most everyone here is also going to disagree with you. It’s kind of a comical take. 

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, Flash said:

Moncada's trade value is really going to hit a wall unless he looks like his 2019 version approaching a $25 million salary.

2 minutes ago, caulfield12 said:

Moncada's trade value is really going to hit a wall unless he looks like his 2019 version approaching a $25 million salary.

If he doesn't bounce back to 2019 level, there is a real chance his option is declined. 

Edited by Jack Parkman
  • Haha 3

7 minutes ago, caulfield12 said:

5 minutes ago, Jack Parkman said:

If he doesn't bounce back to 2019 level, there is a real chance his option is declined. 

You guys both need help.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3
  • Haha 2

2 minutes ago, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

You guys both need help.

Let's count how many times we hear long Covid and reggaeton videos this year.  Did he make another?   Win a Latin Grammy?  I like his talent...but we will see how much the Sox really value him when the rubber hits the road and he starts to lose his "value added" status.  Personally, would take Byron Buxton over him if they both were playing on that lower-risk new deal with the Twins.

40 minutes ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

You may remember Velasquez for this : Not just 1 but 2 amazing plays against the Sox playing the OF !

ah yes, Abreu acting banged up on the basepaths, Engel pulling his hammy, singles everywhere, very white sox 

I can't help but wonder what the attendance for the White Sox and other MLB teams is going to be this 2022 season. With gas prices and inflation going thru the roof I can't help  but think that the attendance is not going to be that good this year. I'm no spring chicken and I've never seen inflation like this in my lifetime. Most people are not going to have that much disposable income on baseball games. It will be interesting to see how this plays out.

4 minutes ago, WBWSF said:

I can't help but wonder what the attendance for the White Sox and other MLB teams is going to be this 2022 season. With gas prices and inflation going thru the roof I can't help  but think that the attendance is not going to be that good this year. I'm no spring chicken and I've never seen inflation like this in my lifetime. Most people are not going to have that much disposable income on baseball games. It will be interesting to see how this plays out.

I think it will be packed once the weather warms up. The team is good. Lots of hungry Sox fans out there have been waiting for this for a LONG time. I don't think they are going to let rising prices affect them going to games.

Might just have to take the Red Line and maybe not spend as much on ballpark food/beverage. There are ways to make the games affordable. 

Edited by ScooterMcGee
  • Like 2