Offseason Part 2 - Lets the Rumors & Action Begin

Chisoxfn

1 hour ago, CentralChamps21 said:

Everybody wants to poo poo spending money on bullpens because, aside from closers, bullpen pieces aren't flashy acquisitions. The lemmings want the big names even if they aren't the best option.

The lemmings have been right for four decades straight with the exception of 2005...which of course has proven nearly impossible to replicate.  You don't go into a full rebuild then deliver the equivalent of an 80's Johnny Bench Krylon paint commercial to inspire their season ticket purchases.

The lemmings were there shouting from the rooftops and rafters that acquiring James Shields was never going to work out...even if they had given up nothing in that trade besides taking on salary.

Edited by caulfield12

1 hour ago, CentralChamps21 said:

Everybody wants to poo poo spending money on bullpens because, aside from closers, bullpen pieces aren't flashy acquisitions. The lemmings want the big names even if they aren't the best option.

The craze for bullpen spending started when the likes of Miller, Davis, Chapman became multi-inning shutdown weapons that you can throw into a game at any point in the game and shutdown the opponent regardless of matchup. There are a few players who legitimately fit the bill and deliver consistently, the aforementioned guys, Hader, Jansen, Hendriks amongst a select few. However there is a more conventional wisdom that predates this, and that’s RP are extremely volatile and it’s never a good idea to pay for par performances. If you’re paying big money to Joe Kelly (3rd largest RP contract this off season) to be that shutdown weapon for you in a playoff game, you’re taking a huge gamble that won’t likely pay off.

In fact, the Rockies infamously spent over $100M a few years ago on their BP and that failed miserably. Again, that was completely due to giving BP arms big dollars based on what they did in the past and all of those arms broke down pretty quickly.

Edited by thxfrthmmrs

11 minutes ago, thxfrthmmrs said:

The craze for bullpen spending started when the likes of Miller, Davis, Chapman became multi-inning shutdown weapons that you can throw into a game at any point in the game and shutdown the opponent regardless of matchup. There are a few players who legitimately fit the bill and deliver consistently, the aforementioned guys, Hader, Jansen, Hendriks amongst a select few. However there is a more conventional wisdom that predates this, and that’s RP are extremely volatile and it’s never a good idea to pay for par performances. If you’re paying big money to Joe Kelly (3rd largest RP contract this off season) to be that shutdown weapon for you in a playoff game, you’re taking a huge gamble that won’t likely pay off.

In fact, the Rockies infamously spent over $100M a few years ago on their BP and that failed miserably. Again, that was completely due to giving BP arms big dollars based on what they did in the past and all of those arms broke down pretty quickly.

Ask any Dodgers fan how much they trusted Jansen the last 2-3 seasons.

3 minutes ago, South Side Fireworks Man said:

I want Bryant.  Even though he's right-handed, he's a good hitter and would give us versatility to cover for any possible lost time by Moncada, any of our outfielders or Abreu.

Dream on.  Has there even once been any insider naming the Sox as an interested party?

Edited by caulfield12

11 minutes ago, caulfield12 said:

Dream on.  Has there even once been any insider naming the Sox as an interested party?

Were there insiders naming the Sox as an interested party for Harrison or Velasquez? I think not. THERE IS HOPE

Edited by ScooterMcGee
  • Like 1

10 minutes ago, ScooterMcGee said:

Were there insiders naming the Sox as an interested party for Harrison or Velasquez? I think not. THERE IS HOPE

Well, you'd think with one of the, what, five most iconic players in the city of Chicago over the last decade that there would be SOME noise?

5 hours ago, WBWSF said:

I can't help but wonder what the attendance for the White Sox and other MLB teams is going to be this 2022 season. With gas prices and inflation going thru the roof I can't help  but think that the attendance is not going to be that good this year. I'm no spring chicken and I've never seen inflation like this in my lifetime. Most people are not going to have that much disposable income on baseball games. It will be interesting to see how this plays out.

Yeah, I always wonder how they can sell beer for $11 but apparently the younger guys have plenty of money.  I content myself with MLB and a refrigerator close at hand.  Actually, I went to more than my share of games in the good old days.  The hassle of driving and parking is no longer my thing.

1 hour ago, maxjusttyped said:

Neither would the Brewers so we don't have to worry about this trade happening.

Damn that was a smooth answer. I have no idea the rationale behind anyone saying they wouldn't do that trade except for just blind faith in Kopech. The kid could be the next Seaver but he ain't that now while at the same time saying no to an extra $10M ?

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, South Side Fireworks Man said:

I want Bryant.  Even though he's right-handed, he's a good hitter and would give us versatility to cover for any possible lost time by Moncada, any of our outfielders or Abreu.

Bryant is the most attractive of the big-name guys for the reason you state.  Versatility has become a thing in the modern era.

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, ScooterMcGee said:

Really? Harrison and Velaquez when there's like 25 guys big names people want to break the news on . No one cares about Harrison and Velasquez , they aren't feathers in anyone's caps .

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, caulfield12 said:

Well, you'd think with one of the, what, five most iconic players in the city of Chicago over the last decade that there would be SOME noise?

13 minutes ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

Really? Harrison and Velaquez when there's like 25 guys big names people want to break the news on . No one cares about Harrison and Velasquez , they aren't feathers in anyone's caps .

You guys are good at reading jokes lol 

• Thanks 1