Rodon to SF, 2 years, $44 million (opt out after year 1)

Heads22

1 hour ago, Chicago White Sox said:

So a guy who has had various shoulder, elbow, & forearm issues over his career and has never been able to stay healthy for a full season is suddenly going to stay healthy for five straight years.  Makes total sense.

While VA Fan went a little overboard in his effusive praise of Rodon I will agree with his 1st paragraph .

1 hour ago, Flash Tizzle said:

It’s amazing when you step away from Soxtalk for awhile and when you return, it’s like everyone just collectively turned against Rodon. It’s honestly so surreal. 

How is the contract for the Giants terrible? At worst, he’s a two year burden. Big deal. At best, he pitches well and leaves after this season. Good, he must have pitched well to justify the exit. For a potential Cy Young pitcher, I will take a short term deal with him any day.

What else are we using this money for? They apparently didn’t care enough about cutting salary with Kimbrel. If there’s some grand scheme in place, fine. Maybe I’ve missed a thread in my absence which theorizes an improvement to our starting rotation which doesn’t involve Rodon. 

The White Sox are geniuses at convincing their fans that someone is not worthy of the team’s money. 

I was begging for Rodon to come back...and have been in mourning since...he's exactly what the team needs...a power pitching lefty...if he's as good going forward as he was in 2021 you have five aces.  But honestly...you can't listen to what management says, you have to watch what they do.  No one knows Rodon better than Katz.  I have great respect for Katz.  Katz basically said...not at any price.   If they really believed he was ready to become a stud for three years they would have inked him to 3/60 before the lockout.  If they were certain he would pass physicals they would have given him a QO.   I just think they think they were dealing with a ticking bomb.  

2 hours ago, Flash Tizzle said:

It’s amazing when you step away from Soxtalk for awhile and when you return, it’s like everyone just collectively turned against Rodon. It’s honestly so surreal. 

How is the contract for the Giants terrible? At worst, he’s a two year burden. Big deal. At best, he pitches well and leaves after this season. Good, he must have pitched well to justify the exit. For a potential Cy Young pitcher, I will take a short term deal with him any day.

What else are we using this money for? They apparently didn’t care enough about cutting salary with Kimbrel. If there’s some grand scheme in place, fine. Maybe I’ve missed a thread in my absence which theorizes an improvement to our starting rotation which doesn’t involve Rodon. 

The White Sox are geniuses at convincing their fans that someone is not worthy of the team’s money. 

Personally,  it's not about the money. They already have Kopech in the rotation who won't pitch a full season.  Dedicating another rotation spot for a pitcher who likely won't pitch a full season just makes a mess of the rotation and trying to figure out who can pitch.

35 minutes ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

While VA Fan went a little overboard in his effusive praise of Rodon I will agree with his 1st paragraph .

Which is fine, but even on a two year deal Rodon is a massive risk.  To think he’s suddenly going to be a beacon of health is based on nothing but desire.

14 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

Which is fine, but even on a two year deal Rodon is a massive risk.  To think he’s suddenly going to be a beacon of health is based on nothing but desire.

Or the desire to get one of the best pitchers available and win if you are the Giants.Sure it's risky but who left on the FA market or discussed in trades doesn't have red flags ?

7 minutes ago, zisk said:

Carlos should give his agent a big hug. 44 million in guaranteed money is pretty great for a talented but oft injured pitcher.

Even more so when considering how his season ended last year.

It ended as expected and all GM's know that based on the amount of innings he pitched vs how many innings he had pitched the previous 2 years They also know he was a great pitcher until the end of July and wasn't bad after it. His arm was gassed not injured. The Giants will be smarter than the Sox were about not running up his IP and more than likely also believe his injury risk is less after his work with Katz last year improved his mechanics. The giants also know that  having pitched the innings he did last yr that he is likely to last longer this year barring an injury that so many expect here.

24 minutes ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

It ended as expected and all GM's know that based on the amount of innings he pitched vs how many innings he had pitched the previous 2 years They also know he was a great pitcher until the end of July and wasn't bad after it. His arm was gassed not injured. The Giants will be smarter than the Sox were about not running up his IP and more than likely also believe his injury risk is less after his work with Katz last year improved his mechanics. The giants also know that  having pitched the innings he did last yr that he is likely to last longer this year barring an injury that so many expect here.

I did not see significant changes in his mechanics that caused most of his issues.

59 minutes ago, ptatc said:

Personally,  it's not about the money. They already have Kopech in the rotation who won't pitch a full season.  Dedicating another rotation spot for a pitcher who likely won't pitch a full season just makes a mess of the rotation and trying to figure out who can pitch.

So they have one pitcher in the rotation who won’t pitch a full season.

Doesnt that make another pitcher who may or may not pitch a full season but who can be really good…a priority?

20 minutes ago, ptatc said:

I did not see significant changes in his mechanics that caused most of his issues.

They’ve been very explicit about this one.

“If you go back and look at old videos of me and dive into those mechanics, I was kind of a crossfire guy. When I landed, my stride to home was real short and closed off toward the plate,” Rodón says. “I think a lot of it had to do with injuries, how to throw a baseball without feeling something hurting. A lot of bad habits are created in that process. And I was getting some results. Not great, but good enough.”

The crossfire delivery and short stride Rodón describes are both unmitigated disasters from a mechanical perspective. Such a delivery doesn’t fully engage the pitcher’s legs, which saps power. The extra side-to-side motion compounds this problem, as less force is directed through the ball to home plate. And the added complexity to the arm motion makes the windup less repeatable. That not only makes a pitcher lose command, it puts extra stress on their body and increases the chance of further injury

The key, Katz says, was changing how Rodón pushed off the rubber. Before, he’d been driving with just his toe, which was sending him toward first base and setting into motion all the mechanical messiness that had plagued him over the previous few years. Katz’s goal was to get Rodón to drive more off his back leg and use his entire foot to explode off the rubber. “When you keep a better direct path toward home plate, that also keeps him healthier instead of battling across himself all the time,” Katz says.

https://www.theringer.com/platform/amp/mlb/2021/5/26/22453796/carlos-rodon-chicago-white-sox-return-to-form

• Thanks 1

39 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

So they have one pitcher in the rotation who won’t pitch a full season.

Doesnt that make another pitcher who may or may not pitch a full season but who can be really good…a priority?

No. They can use Kopech with Lopez and Crochet to fill in his other starts. I wouldn't want another pitcher that you needed to use more starts from others. 

32 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

I think it's more his lack if follow through that was the primary issue.

Hopefully, their right for his sake that it's more the cross fire issue.

On 3/12/2022 at 2:55 PM, Flash Tizzle said:

Of course Sox fans wanted Rodon back.  That wasn’t the issue.

Pretty bad contract for the Giants they assume all the risk - I mean if he has a good year he walks if he blows out his arm again then the giants pay him 22m to rehab it. I don't know how Boras convinces clubs to do these awful option deals.

Glad he didn't get it from us. For players like Rondon you should only really be doing 1yr deals.