Spring Training thread

Balta1701

8 minutes ago, ptatc said:

I wonder if they are saving his arm for the season because of his limitations or if there is an issue?

If there is an issue already, they are in deep poo.

Shouldn’t he at least be throwing in games by now? Do you think there is a chance he goes to the minors to build up early?

11 minutes ago, Squirmin' for Yermin said:

Not offering that QO is going to turn into a big mistake after see just his 2 spring training games.

Just listened briefly.  Was at 97 again.  Clevinger got totally destroyed, fwiw.  Did that pulled early from inning, return start of next and got pulled again trick.

TA7 on Sox lineup, pre-Vaughn injury

"I would hate to be a pitcher. From top to bottom, you are going to be competing every at-bat," Anderson told me during a recent conversation. "If you miss your spots, and guys are having a good day, it's going to be a long day. Guys are going to pretty much get you.

"We have some good hitters, some good solid contact hitters who will always put the bat on the ball. We got some speed in there, some power. We've got a little bit of everything. Guys are going to give you some good ABs. We got another year under our belt, so a lot more mature and kind of now we understand our plan and what we are trying to do.

"You guys are going to see a little bit of growth," Anderson said. "I don't know how much. But it's been another year so definitely some growth in there."

From Scott Merkin’s predictably positive MLB.com article…”Even without the hard-hitting Vaughn, though, this shapes up as the most talented White Sox lineup I've covered in 20 years on the beat for MLB.com, with all apologies to the 2006 crew.”  What, nothing about churros, craft brews and a slew of spectacular sponsor promotional giveaway nights?

Edited by caulfield12

17 minutes ago, caulfield12 said:

Just listened briefly.  Was at 97 again.  Clevinger got totally destroyed, fwiw.  Did that pulled early from inning, return start of next and got pulled again trick.

Clevinger is what, 18 months from TJS give or take? Some struggles seem totally expected if I got that right.

1 hour ago, Bob Sacamano said:

Shouldn’t he at least be throwing in games by now? Do you think there is a chance he goes to the minors to build up early?

Maybe they are doing all sidework just to build the arm? 

I would doubt they send him down. They seem to want thise limited innings in the MLB.

1 hour ago, caulfield12 said:

TA7 on Sox lineup, pre-Vaughn injury

"I would hate to be a pitcher. From top to bottom, you are going to be competing every at-bat," Anderson told me during a recent conversation. "If you miss your spots, and guys are having a good day, it's going to be a long day. Guys are going to pretty much get you.

"We have some good hitters, some good solid contact hitters who will always put the bat on the ball. We got some speed in there, some power. We've got a little bit of everything. Guys are going to give you some good ABs. We got another year under our belt, so a lot more mature and kind of now we understand our plan and what we are trying to do.

"You guys are going to see a little bit of growth," Anderson said. "I don't know how much. But it's been another year so definitely some growth in there."

From Scott Merkin’s predictably positive MLB.com article…”Even without the hard-hitting Vaughn, though, this shapes up as the most talented White Sox lineup I've covered in 20 years on the beat for MLB.com, with all apologies to the 2006 crew.”  What, nothing about churros, craft brews and a slew of spectacular sponsor promotional giveaway nights?

TA7 just carrying water for the organization.  We all know this lineup has too many holes to make oitchers afraid.

1 hour ago, Balta1701 said:

Clevinger is what, 18 months from TJS give or take? Some struggles seem totally expected if I got that right.

At 18 months he should be doing pretty well,  if he is going to get to PLOF.

Didn't want to start its own thread, but it merits discussion at this point.  WTF is the plan with Kopech?  He hasn't pitched in a spring training game and Opening Day is now 9 days away.  His first turn through the rotation is 2 weeks away.  At this point, it seems highly unlikely that he'll be making that start.  Is he going to start the season in the pen?  On the IL? 

Obviously the Sox cannot let Kopech just go out and pitch unimpeded from April on as he'll need to be shut down by August. So I think some slow play and rest through the season is coming, and is warranted.  We need his arm in October.  But the fact he hasn't even started ramping up (in games) makes me think we won't be seeing Kopech in the rotation until at least May.  

2 minutes ago, ChiSox59 said:

Didn't want to start its own thread, but it merits discussion at this point.  WTF is the plan with Kopech?  He hasn't pitched in a spring training game and Opening Day is now 9 days away.  His first turn through the rotation is 2 weeks away.  At this point, it seems highly unlikely that he'll be making that start.  Is he going to start the season in the pen?  On the IL? 

Obviously the Sox cannot let Kopech just go out and pitch unimpeded from April on as he'll need to be shut down by August. So I think some slow play and rest through the season is coming, and is warranted.  We need his arm in October.  But the fact he hasn't even started ramping up (in games) makes me think we won't be seeing Kopech in the rotation until at least May.  

I think he’ll make the start but be limited to 3 innings

• Like 1