Sox sign 2B Josh Harrison (1 yr, 5.5M; club option; 1.5M buyout)

Whisox05

8 hours ago, Dick Allen said:

The one concern with Madrigal, and it is legit, is health, but even if he plays half the season at this point, he is far more cost effective than what he was replaced with.  If JR starts throwing money around  like he just won the Powerball, OK. But a Harrison signing tells me, he’s still looking for a bargain at TJMaxx.

His defense and baserunning are also major concerns.

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, fathom said:

Cespedes as a starting option beginning to remind me of those that thought Collins could start as a catcher.  I’ve yet to see much of anything positive written about Cespedes.

I don't know about the Collins comparison, but so far Cespedes has been well below average at the plate against MiLB pitching. If he were an 18 year old this wouldn't be a concern, but he's what --- 23 or so? Not an auspicious start for the guy.

22 minutes ago, FoxForce2 said:

I don't know about the Collins comparison, but so far Cespedes has been well below average at the plate against MiLB pitching. If he were an 18 year old this wouldn't be a concern, but he's what --- 23 or so? Not an auspicious start for the guy.

If he wasn't related to Yoenis, he'd be just another Latin "tool box" guy likw Adolfo with major questions about his ability to put it all together.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

17 hours ago, CWSpalehoseCWS said:

Colas hasn't faced live pitching in a professional setting since 2019. There's no way he is being counted on as the RF for 2022 by the Sox. People need to stop writing him and Cespedes in as can't miss options.

Never said Colas would be expected to play RF in 2022, if you read I said 2023.  Sox philosophy is to wait and not sign anyone longterm because they believe they have someone just as good .

16 hours ago, fathom said:

Cespedes as a starting option beginning to remind me of those that thought Collins could start as a catcher.  I’ve yet to see much of anything positive written about Cespedes.

Again, read I said both could be an option in 2023 and I'm leaning towards Colas to fill the spot and not Cespedes.

Sox will not sign a free agent RF, period end of story not happening.

Edited by A-Train to 35th
  • Haha 1

51 minutes ago, ChiSox59 said:

The title of the thred is kind of misleading. Its a $4M 1 year deal with a $1.5M buyout on a team option for 23.  $5.5M guaranteed, but a $4m deal. 

Haven't heard what the 23 option value is yet.  

That's a little better than I thought. 

16 minutes ago, chw42 said:

That's a little better than I thought. 

Yeah, I mean $4M isn't much of anything.  But to everyone's point, the Sox have a history of these smaller signings pile up on not very useful players, and then the totality of the outlay ends ups being the AAV of an actually impactful player they didn't sign.  Let's hope that isn't the case this offseason.  

• Like 1

2 hours ago, ChiSox59 said:

The title of the thred is kind of misleading. Its a $4M 1 year deal with a $1.5M buyout on a team option for 23.  $5.5M guaranteed, but a $4m deal. 

Haven't heard what the 23 option value is yet.  

I asked this question the other day, but no one was able to confirm.  However, from a luxury tax perspective, does it count against this year’s cap?

7 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

You sure about that?  Then why is Hendriks’ luxury tax number $18M?

We all talked about this last year. I think its because all of the $54 mill is guaranteed. Like he doesn't have a buyout. Instead, they can choose to not pick up the option but are still on the hook for the full amount just deferred. So you're looking at is as the full amount split up over the 3 years instead of 4 years.

Which then makes you question: if they pick up his option for the 4th year, is the CBT hit $0?

Edited by Bob Sacamano

25 minutes ago, Dick Allen said:

A 35 year old who hasn't put up a 2 WAR season since 2017, which was his only one since 2014. An injured pitcher, and a gas can whose claim to fane was playing a nice LF. 

I wasn't expecting a lot, but a lot more than that.

Doubt we’ve sold any season tickets based on those moves so far…and Kimbrel remaining on the roster as set-up man is equally dubious, not to mention blocking further spending.  If they really had any guts, they’d start Kimbrel as closer to prove he can actually do that job before trading him, but you can rest assured that will never happen, so his trade value still will be somewhat down simply do that lingering question mark about where he is psychologically.

2 hours ago, Dick Allen said:

A 35 year old who hasn't put up a 2 WAR season since 2017, which was his only one since 2014. An injured pitcher, and a gas can whose claim to fane was playing a nice LF. 

When it’s put that way… fuck. 

2 hours ago, Dick Allen said:

Having lived in New England for a long time, Joe Kelly is more than an injured pitcher.  You can bet he will become a magnet with the local media for his quirky comments. He will also be the first White Sox player to instigate a bench clearing brawl this season.  For those familiar with former pitcherBill Lee( i.e Spaceman) Joe is cut from the same cloth.  

On 3/13/2022 at 5:20 PM, FoxForce2 said:

.285/.350/.463 (.813 OPS) over 72 games in A+ and AA (hitting .298 in his AA games) is "well below average"? 

17 minutes ago, Richie said:

.285/.350/.463 (.813 OPS) over 72 games in A+ and AA (hitting .298 in his AA games) is "well below average"? 

Did you see what he did in AFL? It was abysmal. You're right though, he did put up decent numbers in AA and I was going mostly off scouting reports that were mostly dissing him, especially later in the season. I'm not a Cespedes critic. In fact, for the first half of last season, I was thinking he might have a shot at the League in the latter part of '22, but lost a lost of that interest as the '21 season got into late stages.

Edited by FoxForce2