Too many myopic people in the offseason

CentralChamps21

Everybody has their opinion on the Kelly and Harrison signings. The reality is that they can't be fairly judged until the entire body of work is completed. Those signings being done in addition to signing a big LH bat for RF/DH is very different than being done in lieu of signing the big LH bat. Potential trades of Kimbel and for a SP also impact the value of those signings.

Shut up and stop talking about how horrible or how great those signings were until you see the finished work. There are some posters who really need to leave the board in October and not come back until April because they really don't have a concept of how to deal with individual transactions in between.

Oops, wrong board. This should be in PHT. Can a mod move it?

Edited by CentralChamps21
  • Like 2

Yeah!

Too many myopic people!!

If you criticize a move right away, shut up until you see how they do!

If you wait to see how bad they play later, or if a pile of bad signings disallows signing one GOOD player, LET. IT. GO, amirite?!

Just basically, never criticize this FO, because they're doing great.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Here's the thing I will never understand.  So many people want to scream at the top of their lungs about how mad they are, but absolutely cannot handle getting into debate on it, let alone called on it.  The feelings fly fast and last long.  On here talking about how they were right years ago still holding a grudge about the one thing they were right about because someone didn't agree with them.

On 3/14/2022 at 12:51 AM, CentralChamps21 said:

Everybody has their opinion on the Kelly and Harrison signings. The reality is that they can't be fairly judged until the entire body of work is completed. Those signings being done in addition to signing a big LH bat for RF/DH is very different than being done in lieu of signing the big LH bat. Potential trades of Kimbel and for a SP also impact the value of those signings.

Shut up and stop talking about how horrible or how great those signings were until you see the finished work. There are some posters who really need to leave the board in October and not come back until April because they really don't have a concept of how to deal with individual transactions in between.

Oops, wrong board. This should be in PHT. Can a mod move it?

Good idea.  Let's just close down the board until the morning of Opening Day.

Or maybe we should just follow the Blue Jays just to experience things vicariously.  The White Sox went through their kumbaya period in 2017-18 when all the big rebuild trades went down and there was almost universal praise, excitement and acceptance.

It is pretty disingenuous to expect everyone be overly excited about two postseason wins over the course of two seasons...when couple with the postseason so far.

And I don't remember when we added Robertson, LaRoche, Cabrera and Samardzija that fans were immediately told to temper expectations and not get ahead of themselves after winning yet another offseason where results on the field failed to match the "feel good" press conferences.

Edited by caulfield12

On 3/14/2022 at 3:40 PM, southsider2k5 said:

Here's the thing I will never understand.  So many people want to scream at the top of their lungs about how mad they are, but absolutely cannot handle getting into debate on it, let alone called on it.  The feelings fly fast and last long.  On here talking about how they were right years ago still holding a grudge about the one thing they were right about because someone didn't agree with them.

If they were really so fed up, wouldn’t they eventually just check out?  A shitty franchise isn’t making you partake of their product or their poor management.  Nor is it making one post incessantly on a message board about repeated past grudges from ions ago.   One does have agency in their own fandom.  Continually coming back to the same well over and over to rend one’s garments in disgust over how a franchise operates is a choice.  At some point a miserable fandom is on the fan.

The off-season presents a difficult scenario for fans from a psychological perspective.  It presents a series of binary choices—“should your favorite team sign [great player]… or no?”  Of course the desired answer is always “yes.”  It narrows the fan’s focus to a series of those decisions and makes them lose sight of the bigger picture of team quality and construction.  It creates this bizarro-world anti-season where the only currency is transactions, not baseball play, with splashiness and recency rewarded.  It leads to people orgasming daily over teams that miss the playoffs while cursing teams that will prove to be much better when it matters.

I fall victim to it like anybody else.  But I try to keep things in perspective by remembering that soon baseball games will be played, and “off-season-winning” transactions have a pretty abysmal track record in the real world of the baseball season.  We all wanted Trevor Bauer last year.  We all lusted after the Padres’ roster.  We wanted Paxton, or Richards, or for god’s sake SOMEONE better than dumpster-reclamation Carlos Rodon. We don’t know shit.

• Thanks 1

I refuse to panic because we don't sign Conforto. Especially when we have Vaughn, Engel, Sheets, Garcia, Burger and Harrison to fill that spot in the lineup. I basically think Conforto can almost be matched in the aggregate.

Remember, Vaughn's season last year is almost exactly the same as Conforto's 2016 Season. I'm not saying Vaughn is Conforto yet, but there's still massive potential there. Plus we're going to have to spend ~100 million for Conforto. Large investment in a player who probably will have no impact on the profitability of the team. But hey, if this team wants to get Conforto I won't complain.

What I am worried about is Starting Pitcher depth. Starting pitching is why we got beaten so easily in the playoffs last year. They ran out of gas. Have we addressed that this offseason? I don't think so.

• Like 1

The White Sox are making less splashy moves because the holes they have to fill are much smaller.  There is a reason MLB ranked us number 2.  This is a damn good team.  Just hoping our big splash is Conforto.  It would be dumb for the White Sox to do what the Rangers are doing.  

• Like 1