Sox Sign Vince Velasquez

Heads22

47 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

Every dollar that you give a guy counts against the luxury tax. To get Keuchel off the roster with a buyout of his full contract would leave every cent counting towards the CBT. The only way to get space is to trade a guy's salary to another team. 

Thanks for the clarification. Yeah, I figured that to be the case.

My guess is that they'll start the season with 14 pitchers, whether or not MLB decides to temporarily expand rosters to start the year.  

Lynn, Giolito, Cease, Keuchel, Kopech, Lopez, Hendrix, Bummer, Crochet, Kelly, Graveman, Rios, Velasquez, Kimbrel.  

Trading Kimbrel would actually leave their pen a bit light and force the Sox to use the kind of RPs who didn't pitch very well last year. 

Velasquez is a head scratcher for me given his track record.  They must believe they can fix him.  

57 minutes ago, VAfan said:

My guess is that they'll start the season with 14 pitchers, whether or not MLB decides to temporarily expand rosters to start the year.  

Lynn, Giolito, Cease, Keuchel, Kopech, Lopez, Hendrix, Bummer, Crochet, Kelly, Graveman, Rios, Velasquez, Kimbrel.  

Trading Kimbrel would actually leave their pen a bit light and force the Sox to use the kind of RPs who didn't pitch very well last year. 

Velasquez is a head scratcher for me given his track record.  They must believe they can fix him.  

Do they have a firm schedule for the first week yet? Any off days?

3 hours ago, sin city sox fan said:

Coop will fix him.......oh wait.

If we just keeping signing more of these reclamation projects for $3 million, then one will have to be 2021 Carlos Rodon and not Erwin Santana, Felipe Paulino or Derek Holland.

Unfortunately, it might take ten of those guys to equal Carlos’ fWAR last season.

Might as well just go for it with Crochet…and throw all injury concerns to the wind.

On 3/13/2022 at 1:59 PM, GreenSox said:

He has a lot of talent, but another guy who walks too many.  Seems to have lost whatever he had.  Maybe new scenery and coaching will help.

His issue has always been he has a good fastball with good velocity but it's very straight with not a lot of spin.