Sox Sign Vince Velasquez

Heads22

1 minute ago, Flash Tizzle said:

I don’t know, I guess I was expecting too much for the roster to be improved. A roster that was embarrassed in the 1st round of the playoffs and had every weakness exploited for a national audience. Maybe it’ll be different this season….

It’s what happens when you think too highly of guys like Leury and Engel

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Flash Tizzle said:

I don’t know, I guess I was expecting too much for the roster to be improved. A roster that was embarrassed in the 1st round of the playoffs and had every weakness exploited for a national audience. Maybe it’ll be different this season….

You may want to wait until the season starts before passing judgrment.

• Like 1

Some are overthinking this move completely. For a long season and a deep run in the playoffs you can never have enough pitching. He will not be in the full rotation but merely as a long innings type of guy out of the bullpen or a spot starter when they need an extra pitcher.

Edited by maloney.adam
  • Like 1

20 minutes ago, Flash Tizzle said:

You’re not supposed to notice that. Remember, we’re expected to win the ALC and once in the playoffs anything can happen!!

To be fair, many less talented teams have won it all on the strength of a shutdown bullpen, and this one certainly has potential to be great, not to mention a kind of Nasty Boys type thing with some edge and drama. I'm excited to see how that plays out. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, fathom said:

I’m still waiting for a move they make this offseason that makes them better at a spot than last year 

Tony gained another year of experience. He's getting better and better.

32 minutes ago, maloney.adam said:

Some are overthinking this move completely. For a long season and a deep run in the playoffs you can never have enough pitching. He will not be in the full rotation but merely as a long innings type of guy out of the bullpen or a spot starter when they need an extra pitcher.

What is confusing about this is that they already have one of those guys in Lopez…and neither that guy nor this one have the ability to be sent to the minors without being released. This guy on a minor league deal for the same money? Sure, you can bring him up when needed and figure things out afterwards. Instead they’re both sorta locked into the roster unless they hit the IL.

Even Vinnie Duber went “how great is it to have a guy you can send down and call up when needed”, except unless there’s some contract detail we are missing, this guy can’t be.

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, maloney.adam said:

I'm assuming this is basically it.  I still think they are going to add one more starter although it will likely be someone who is solid and not an ace.  I think the big fish is clearly the big premier left handed power bat.  Hahn stated so much in his end of the year press conference (Ball go far)

As of now, bullpen:

Hendriks
Bummer (LH)
Crochet (LH)
Kimbrel
Graveman
Kelly
Lopez
Velasquez

If Kimbrel is traded, either they go with a bigger bench or someone out of Ruiz/Foster/Stiever/Lambert/Bilous take the last spot as they’re already on the 40 man?

9 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

As of now, bullpen:

Hendriks
Bummer (LH)
Crochet (LH)
Kimbrel
Graveman
Kelly
Lopez
Velasquez

If Kimbrel is traded, either they go with a bigger bench or someone out of Ruiz/Foster/Stiever/Lambert/Bilous take the last spot as they’re already on the 40 man?

That’s a Pretty good bullpen. 

So it turns out Rick Hahn learned absolutely nothing from the last time he was adding talent to a team.

Just a brutal approach to the offseason. Absolutely brutal.

I like Vazquez as minor league depth though 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, KBX said:

To be fair, many less talented teams have won it all on the strength of a shutdown bullpen, and this one certainly has potential to be great, not to mention a kind of Nasty Boys type thing with some edge and drama. I'm excited to see how that plays out. 

Sure, the Royals did it...but they essentially had three closers that really locked down the last three innings.  The other difference was Gore and Dyson could still bases at will to manufacture runs late.

9 minutes ago, bmags said:

So it turns out Rick Hahn learned absolutely nothing from the last time he was adding talent to a team.

I like Velasquez as minor league depth though 

^^^^

Hopefully this is a minor league deal and not a major league one. 

Edited by Jack Parkman

9 minutes ago, bmags said:

I like Vazquez as minor league depth though 

The moves we're making recently feel like classic 2011-2016 White Sox or even the worst of KW instincts with veterans 2-3 years past their sell-by dates.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, caulfield12 said:

The moves we're making recently feel like classic 2011-2016 White Sox or even the worst of KW instincts with veterans 2-3 years past their sell-by dates.

Exactly, and a “we’re gonna let the market come to us” attitude that always exclusively netted them overpaying for marginal starters (but much less than if they paid real money to actual upgrades) 

31 minutes ago, ChiSox59 said:

That’s a Pretty good bullpen. 

Hopefully Hendriks’s home run spike was either bad luck or the Happy Fun Ball getting him. If that’s the case, then you kinda say that no matter what.

Bummer being better than last year would help a lot. Nails down the stretch but inconistent a lot of the year.

6 minutes ago, bmags said:

Exactly, and a “we’re gonna let the market come to us” attitude that always exclusively netted them overpaying for marginal starters (but much less than if they paid real money to actual upgrades) 

I don't quite get seemingly giving up on Lopez again (unless part of a trade package)...maybe things can change again perspective-wise with Kimbrel off the roster and one huge acquisition to get the fanbase charged up on the position player side. 

Right now, it feels like we are at best even with last year losing Rodon and Madrigal.   Yes, best of the Central, but considering they have perhaps their highest payroll ever...all seems like a bit if a let down so far.

1 minute ago, Balta1701 said:

Bummer being better than last year would help a lot. Nails down the stretch but inconistent a lot of the year.

I think Bummer will bounce back nicely. He was definitely inconsistent and had trouble commanding the zone at times, but he was the unluckiest pitcher I’ve ever seen last year. I’ve never seen so many ground balls deflecting off of gloves or seeing eye singles. 

• Thanks 1