Let's talk about Luis Robert

VAfan

Enough about RF, bullpen, starting pitching depth, backup catcher, etc....

Let's talk about Luis Robert.

Here's how the Sox' center fielder's second half numbers stacked up against the field if he had been able to do that for a season.

Batting average - .350. 1st
OBP - .389 6th
SLG - .622 1st
OPS - 1.011 2nd
OPS+ - 170 3rd

If he posts this for a season, he's going to be the 2022 AL MVP.  

• Like 2

His total 21 numbers might project to MVP. He'll definitely have to rake in order to beat out Guerrero, whom everyone has decided is the future of the American League. Robert has a big defensive advantage since he is good for 2 wins with his glove, while Guerrero is negative. If Mookie Betts can put up 10 WAR one time, I'm pretty sure Robert can put up 7 mulitple times. He already runs 7.1 WAR/162 and he hasn't really dialed it in yet. If the post-injury guy is the real guy, this is far and away the best CF this team has ever had.

• Like 2
  • Fire 1

Can he stay healthy for a full season? Are the White Sox doing everything they can to keep him healthy? (Proactive rest, working with him to limit risky plays like diving in the OF or sliding into bases? Making sure everyone who plays the OF has good fundamentals to avoid collisions? Having a solid OF alongside him to limit his full speed sprints?)

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Balta1701 said:

Can he stay healthy for a full season? Are the White Sox doing everything they can to keep him healthy? (Proactive rest, working with him to limit risky plays like diving in the OF or sliding into bases? Making sure everyone who plays the OF has good fundamentals to avoid collisions? Having a solid OF alongside him to limit his full speed sprints?)

Doing everything they can to keep him healthy also includes not flanking him on both sides with atrocious defenders. 

3 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

See last point.

Yeah I didn’t catch your last sentence in there, but you addressed it.  Keeping Robert healthy, he who is the most important piece to your OF defence,  also means putting competent & capable defenders on either side.  One clumsy oaf in left is acceptable when he mashes at the plate, but not running a lumbering slow footed 1B out to RF every day game as well.  We really don’t need to see Billy Hamilton manning CF for half the year again do we?

• Like 2

1 minute ago, EloyJenkins said:

Is he locked into the #3 spot? That to me is the single most important part to this season. NO more moving him around, and put him where he stays for the next half decade. 

I doubt it. TA and Jose appear to have emeritus status in the #1 and #3 spots and it's going to make this lineup less than maximized.

• Like 1

Sure, let's talk about him.

15 minutes ago, CentralChamps21 said:

I doubt it. TA and Jose appear to have emeritus status in the #1 and #3 spots and it's going to make this lineup less than maximized.

Agreed, but I'm hoping that for the sake of R/L balance they at least talk to Abreu about going TA-Robert-Grandal-Abreu to start

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Bob Sacamano said:

Against righties, same. I'm down for moving Moncada down in the order and the other guys up 1 against lefties though.

Yeah lefties I like

R - SS - TA
R - CF - Robert
R - 1B - Abreu
R - LF - Eloy
S - C Grandal

• Like 1

Some of these predictions are lofty. I'd be happy if he was more Mike Cameron than Mike Trout. I think he's somewhere in between on average, and that's pretty good. He just needs to stay healthy and be in CF for many years because that's a very important anchor for this org. I don't foresee many problems with corner power hitters and starters, because they've been good at that over the years. The stars they have now are due to starting pitcher prowess of a decade ago, after all.

1 hour ago, KBX said:

Some of these predictions are lofty. I'd be happy if he was more Mike Cameron than Mike Trout. I think he's somewhere in between on average, and that's pretty good. He just needs to stay healthy and be in CF for many years because that's a very important anchor for this org. I don't foresee many problems with corner power hitters and starters, because they've been good at that over the years. The stars they have now are due to starting pitcher prowess of a decade ago, after all.

Hmm, I see him more as falling somewhere between Willie Mays, Thor, and Michael B Jordan. 

• Like 1