Offseason Part 3 - Because Part 2 Was a Dud

CentralChamps21

1 hour ago, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

Why are people putting Sheets at DH over Vaughn? No.

Because he's worlds better as a hitter against right handers at the moment.  

Sheets against righties - 143 wRC+.  160 PA.  Second best on the Sox, behind only Grandal.  

Vaughn against righties - 68 wRC+.  328 PA. 

Anyone who picked the second option over the first would be dumb.  Vaughn might/should get better, but he's not there yet.  And when he does, it doesn't mean you have to bench Sheets.  It really comes down to whether you play Vaughn or Engel against some right handers.  Engel has the better defense, so Vaughn has to outhit Engel too.  And last year, he didn't.  

Engel against righties in 2021 - 154 wRC+.  Granted, this was only 91 PAs. 

Vaughn may have hit a HR in today's game.  That's great.  But he's going to have to earn his PAs against right handers over time. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

6 minutes ago, VAfan said:

Sheets against righties - 143 wRC+.  160 PA.  Second best on the Sox, behind only Grandal.  

Anyone who picked the second option over the first would be dumb.  Vaughn might/should get better, but he's not there yet.  And when he does, it doesn't mean you have to bench Sheets.  It really comes down to whether you play Vaughn or Engel against some right handers.  Engel has the better defense, so Vaughn has to outhit Engel too.  And last year, he didn't.  

Vaughn may have hit a HR in today's game.  That's great.  But he's going to have to earn his PAs against right handers over time. 

lol ok pal.

I'll go ahead and not look at 328 PA's and 160 PA's as the be-all-end-all for guys. 

Sheets was a pleasant surprise last year. Vaughn is one of the better hitting prospects of my lifetime. 

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, VAfan said:

Vaughn won't improve if they don't let him hit. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

3 minutes ago, Whisox05 said:

If this is an attempt to get Sox fans prepared for Kimbrel actually being part of this team in 2022...woof. 

If the Sox enter the season with Josh Harrison at 2B, Sheets/Vaughn splitting up RF/DH, and Dallas Keuchel in the rotation...and Craig Kimbrel as a 16 million dollar set up man, this off-season was an unmitigated disaster.

• Thanks 3

4 minutes ago, fathom said:

Kimbrel met with the media today. Everything about what he said implies to me that he knows he’s being traded.

I am guessing Kimbrel knows the deal and seems to want out, and he isn't going to burn down the building so that it can get done. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, KBX said:

Kimbrel was pretty half-hearted and diplomatic. It sounds nothing like Hahn told him affirmatively that he's gonna pitch here. Hahn is certainly working on a trade.

And let's face it, if Kimbrel opens his mouth and starts problems, it could well affect the offers out there and increase the chances of his not being able to be dealt.  He gains everything he wants by playing the game and being quiet right now.

16 minutes ago, fathom said:

Kimbrel met with the media today. Everything about what he said implies to me that he knows he’s being traded.

He comes into a game and I think he's gonna be ok this time.  He seems like he's being traded and then he doesn't.  I don't trust him.

20 minutes ago, fathom said:

Everything he said could also fit very well with "He knows they're still trying but has been told it's unlikely before the trade deadline." 

By the way, one thing that needs to be said, although it shouldn't have to be.....if the Sox trade Kimbrel, get salary relief and don't do anything with the flexibility after that....it's a bad move. 

Craig Kimbrel should be somewhat productive this season, with the Sox or someone else. The Sox already have too much invested into their pen, and Kimbrel carries a huge price tag. But if that money is moved, and nothing is done with said savings, the Sox really accomplished nothing. 

Again, that is incredibly obvious, but I feel like some have missed that point. It's not just about dumping Kimbrel. It's then using that money on something the Sox actually need. 

• Like 5

1 hour ago, VAfan said:

Vaughn will probably be the second best hitter on the team this year. 

He needs to play everyday and he needs ABs vs RHP, even if it isn't clicking right away. It's odd some of our fans look at Vaughn as a finished product, hell Adley Rutschman, the #1 pick from Vaughn's draft class, hasn't even played a MLB  game yet.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, Tony said:

By the way, one thing that needs to be said, although it shouldn't have to be.....if the Sox trade Kimbrel, get salary relief and don't do anything with the flexibility after that....it's a bad move. 

Craig Kimbrel should be somewhat productive this season, with the Sox or someone else. The Sox already have too much invested into their pen, and Kimbrel carries a huge price tag. But if that money is moved, and nothing is done with said savings, the Sox really accomplished nothing. 

Again, that is incredibly obvious, but I feel like some have missed that point. It's not just about dumping Kimbrel. It's then using that money on something the Sox actually need. 

That Zach Lavine extension isn't going to pay for itself

1 hour ago, VAfan said:

Bro.

Andrew Vaughn isn't going to be a 68 OPS+ hitter against RHP just because he did it last year after a year essentially playing no MiLB ball. 

No one knows where he is "at the moment ". We know what he did last year. That's it.

No one is "dumb" for recognizing that Andrew Vaughn is going to be a really good MLB hitter.

The only "dumb" thing would be to overreact to a fluke start to a career and turn one of the best hitting prospects in baseball into a weak side platoon hitter.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

26 minutes ago, Tony said:

It does scare me that their window to spend any Kimbrel savings could close very quickly with a couple of key signings.

1 hour ago, Bigsoxhurt35 said:

This is Jerry’s kind of off-season. I don’t even get my hopes up anymore. 

Welcome to being an Iowa Hawkeyes fan...staying up from 3 a.m. to 5:30 a.m. and going to work after that unmitigated disaster.  Maybe it would be more productive to join a book or investing club.

• Quin locked this topic