Offseason Part 3 - Because Part 2 Was a Dud

CentralChamps21

Any ideas left behind the Dodgers ones on Kimbrel?

Royals, Rays, Rangers, Blue Jays, Marlins, Mets, Dodgers, Padres, Cardinals, Red Sox...that's 33% of MLB but still no real rumors, apparently.

Possible the Indians look at moving Karinchak, but he lost a lot of value the second half.  Trivino of the A's is being more hotly pursued than Kimbrel, according to recent rumors.

Royals/Rays/Marlins will ask for a lot of money back.

Rangers/Blue Jays/Cardinals seem like at least halfway legit possibilities.  Kimbrel experienced most recent success in NL Central.

Dodgers/Mets/Padres/Red Sox coming up against CBT issues (assuming Boston would revisit Kimbrel, but likely to add Story and/or Conforto).

Just no way Hahn could take the humiliation of two lopsided deals with the Cubs, right?

Edited by caulfield12

1 minute ago, caulfield12 said:

Any ideas left behind the Dodgers ones on Kimbrel?

Royals, Rays, Rangers, Blue Jays, Marlins, Mets, Dodgers, Padres, Cardinals, Red Sox...that's 33% of MLB but still no real rumors, apparently.

Possible the Indians look at moving Karinchak, but he lost a lot of value the second half.  Trivino of the A's is being more hotly pursued than Kimbrel, according to recent rumors.

Royals/Rays/Marlins will ask for a lot of money back.

Rangers/Blue Jays/Cardinals seem like at least halfway legit possibilities.  Kimbrel experienced most recent success in NL Central.

Dodgers/Mets/Padres/Red Sox coming up against CBT issues (assuming Boston would revisit Kimbrel, but likely to add Story and/or Conforto).

Just not way Hahn could take the humiliation of two lopsided deals with the Cubs, right?

There continue to be people who say that. The problem is it makes no sense. 

8 minutes ago, reiks12 said:

I hate Hahn, Jerry, and Kenny so much right now. I really really do. This organization is so awful, just mind boggling bad

I feel like people are going to get more angry as the day goes on if no moves are made.  Hahn isn’t doing anything besides watching Michigan play today.

• Like 1

The complacency from this organization is mind-boggling. Last seasons best teams in both the AL and NL are pushing their chips in, the rest of the division are in position to start competing for the ALC title as soon as next year with some moderate aggression and the White Sox have a $60M bullpen, 3.5 starting pitchers, and a first baseman in right field. What the fuck are we even doing?

4 minutes ago, oneofthemikes said:

The complacency from this organization is mind-boggling. Last seasons best teams in both the AL and NL are pushing their chips in, the rest of the division are in position to start competing for the ALC title as soon as next year with some moderate aggression and the White Sox have a $60M bullpen, 3.5 starting pitchers, and a first baseman in right field. What the fuck are we even doing?

I have been a Hahn defender since the rebuild started.. But it is getting harder to defend him as this season moves along.

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, caulfield12 said:

We will see.  If they don't get the deal they want, they will just carry him into the season.  That said, Preller is now under real pressure in a way Hahn never has been...and is feeling the sting of missing out on Suzuki in particular.  They also have sold a ton of season tickets, have a new manager in Melvin (GMs rarely get to fire three guys) and all the ramifications of the Tatis injury.

Padres are rich in Catchers and Caratini would be a good get. 

10 minutes ago, oneofthemikes said:

Don't discount the experience this team got in the post season last year. They should be ready to compete better in the playoffs should they make them. 

It’s March 19th, the season is a few weeks away and there is still a huge hole in RF and the starting pitching depth is a huge concern. Outside of re-signing Leury, signing an aging cheap 2B with diminishing skills, 2 relief pitchers (liked the signings), and a cheap starter with an ERA above 6, I’m having a hard time believing this team is better than the 2021 squad. I know the off-season isn’t over yet, but I can’t believe there were that many talented free agents available and the Sox refused to get “uncomfortable” financially to address the remaining roster concerns. It’s not like these issues can be addressed with farm depth either, we all know the Sox are dead last in a lot of farm system rankings. If they platoon Leury/Engel/Sheets/Vaughn in RF, they are pathetic. It’s the same formula as 2021. It didn’t work. Both Vaughn and Sheets aren’t natural outfielders, Engel is coming off major injuries and Leury’s best role is back up infielder. 
Sox are close… but could be much closer. And yet, profit margins still seem to be the priority on 35th and Shields. Sad. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, KBX said:

If Correa only gets 3 years, and Conforto is 2/3 the player Correa is...

Completely different scenarios. Correa didn’t commit to a long term deal because his old agency, not Boras, would get majority of the commission from that deal. The deal is likely done so if Correa has a similar season as he did 2021 he will opt out and have Boras negotiation a long term deal for him.

Castellanos’s 5/$100M deal is a much better comp.

3 minutes ago, Unknown said:

Don't discount the experience this team got in the post season last year. They should be ready to compete better in the playoffs should they make them. 

I get what you’re saying but if you look at the other teams that were in the playoffs, they aren’t banking on experience gained in last years playoffs to get them over the hump. They’re signing and trading for top end talent and addressing team needs. If they stand pat, we’re possibly looking at another first round exit because JR wouldn’t open his wallet and actually make this team better.

6 hours ago, ChiliIrishHammock24 said:

Are you guys mad about this? Why?

Twins aren't good and this keeps him away from playoff opponents like the Astros and Yankees. This is good news for the Sox, especially if it makes them pony up for Conforto now. 🤷

I’m choosing to see it at a positive - more competition in the division making the Sox stay engaged down the stretch.  I’m not scared of the Twins, yet, I’m more afraid that the complacent Sox do nothing else of substance. 

5 minutes ago, bmags said:

Eh I feel like correas only going to get worse from here defensively. But Buxton kinda makes it all work.

Going from Simmons to Correa is not a defensive upgrade. But they’re still a strong unit defensively overall.

1 minute ago, Squirmin' for Yermin said:

I'm glad the Twins signed Correa.  Dude can never stay healthy apart from his contract year

We should have hoped he went to the NL...but it's possible it completely backfires and he gets totally frustrated if they don't get off to a good start.  At that point, how long he'll stay in Minny becomes the main focus of attention, like Bryant already in Colorado.

6 hours ago, ChiliIrishHammock24 said:

Are you guys mad about this? Why?

Twins aren't good and this keeps him away from playoff opponents like the Astros and Yankees. This is good news for the Sox, especially if it makes them pony up for Conforto now. 🤷

When players I dislike go to teams I dislike, it makes my rooting interest life easier.  Just wish they still had Donaldson to really make it easier for me.  Don't like to spread my hatred too thin.

• Haha 1

• Quin locked this topic