Offseason Part 3 - Because Part 2 Was a Dud

CentralChamps21

8 hours ago, caulfield12 said:

I notice you didn’t include 2018.

At any rate, $24-25 million players are not in JR’s price range unless superstars.

It was the death of Ordonez, CLee and Buehrle…Ventura, etc.

This is Soxtalk. 

Comment: "Moncado has been second best third baseman in all of baseball the last three years"

Soxtalk chorus: "I see you are hiding the fact that he SUCKED before that and will suck in the future". 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, wegner said:

When players I dislike go to teams I dislike, it makes my rooting interest life easier.  Just wish they still had Donaldson to really make it easier for me.  Don't like to spread my hatred too thin.

This one hurts the Astros but doesn’t really put the Twins over the top IMO.  And doesn’t much diminish our disdain for either team, so win win.  I can’t say I’m upset that Asshat Josh Donaldson went east to another team that’s easy to hate😆

• Like 1

I'm convinced Hahn knows Comforto can be had under a relatively affordable deal. I also believe it might have less to do with the marginal contract terms and more to do with his (and others in FO) view that a Vaughn, Sheets, Engel/Leury combo in RF actually represent better cost/value than Comforto. The key here is Sheets since he starts out as the strong side of the platoon. It strikes me TLR has affection for Sheets and might be in Hahns ear. Personally, I'm okay w/the combo platter as long as Vaughn doesn't get cheated out of ABs but, if we don't spend on Comforto (seems unlikely at this time), I'll be disappointed if we don't bring in a mid-TOR rotation piece (any of the M boys, Montas, Manea, Means), and a backup catcher. 

1 hour ago, HahnsKiddieTable said:

More like 2 SP and half a bullpen. Their rotation is still trash. Sonny Gray, Joe Ryan, Bundy, Ober and Dobnak is a brutal rotation. Even if they trade for Montas - which frankly I expect they will - it’s still really bad. Their bullpen isn’t much better. They’re a ways away from actually being good still. 

17 minutes ago, Tnetennba said:

Over under on Minny trading Correa mid season for prospects?  Only half kidding. 

If they fall out of the race early and Correa is healthy I would fully expect it. They’re out a draft pick here, so they definitely thought of that.

13 minutes ago, Tnetennba said:

This one hurts the Astros but doesn’t really put the Twins over the top IMO.  And doesn’t much diminish our disdain for either team, so win win.  I can’t say I’m upset that Asshat Josh Donaldson went east to another team that’s easy to hate😆

Excellent analysis.

• Love 1

20 minutes ago, michelangelosmonkey said:

This is Soxtalk. 

Comment: "Moncado has been second best third baseman in all of baseball the last three years"

Soxtalk chorus: "I see you are hiding the fact that he SUCKED before that and will suck in the future". 

Yet he has never made an All-Star Game.  He has been very good the last two seasons, but has only played like a #1 prospect and true MVP candidate for one season in the big leagues.

I never said he will suck in the future.

I said the White Sox will eventually have to decide if they want to pay $24/$25 million for a 4ish fWAR 3B.

That's great if they can... but it will likely require running a $210-225 million payroll at that point.

I will believe it when I see it actually happen before my very eyes.

I'm hopeful he is physically over long Covid and back to the near superstar/dynamic player he was in 2019.  

That's it.   Because non star or fan favorites (Konerko the LONE exception) stand no chance of sticking around when they get too expensive from a management standpoint.

And perhaps those future/expected contract dollars are blocking Conforto right now, and not so much Kimbrel per se.

Edited by caulfield12

Just now, reiks12 said:

over/under: Carlos Correa and Byron Buxton combining for 200 games played this season

They (Twins' fans) might be saying the same thing about Jimenez and Robert.

Hoping for opponents being unable to play is not exactly a championship mentality.  You want to beat the best to prove you belong in that conversation.  For the Twins, it will always mean beating the Yankees.

2 minutes ago, reiks12 said:

over/under: Carlos Correa and Byron Buxton combining for 200 games played this season

I’ll take the over, but this is a really good line. I’d take under 120 on both individually easy. 

Just now, HakunaMachado said:

Agree, but You don’t think we can get back bellinger or lux do you?

Are they getting these players back because of salary relief or do they not have much of a farm system? I tend to think if Kimbrel does get traded he will be dealt for a return of less than what is expected here.

1 minute ago, The Beast said:

Are they getting these players back because of salary relief or do they not have much of a farm system? I tend to think if Kimbrel does get traded he will be dealt for a return of less than what is expected here.

I think  most people here aren't expecting much.

• Quin locked this topic