Offseason Part 3 - Because Part 2 Was a Dud

CentralChamps21

7 minutes ago, Dick Allen said:

Sox will sign Story to play 2B, trade Kimbrel for Bellinger, and trade Cespedes and someone else for Monts. RH will then be a hero.

If all of these things come to fruition I’ll give you $100. 

34 minutes ago, KBX said:

Wasn't that because he's thicc, so it was a question of his physical conditioning vis-a-vis his injury tendencies or something like that? 

I actually liked his vibe in that Houston game. I was thinking if he's 100% this could be a 1-0 win.

Yeah, I guess it was more off season dedication as opposed to in game stuff if I remember correctly. 

12 minutes ago, Dick Allen said:

Sox will sign Story to play 2B, trade Kimbrel for Bellinger, and trade Cespedes and someone else for Monts. RH will then be a hero.

Good scenario if not sarcastic. 

1 hour ago, Chicago White Sox said:

Hopefully that means he’s already got a deal in place with the Sox and they’re just waiting for Hahn to free up a roster spot by trading Kimbrel 😁

That seems to be the most plausible suggestion, I've heard yet. It would explain a lot. If it is indeed a fait accompli, Boras would have no reason to be pulling his usual tricks, in order to create more interest. They may all have a hand shake agreement, and will announce the deal, once Kimbrel is dealt. One might ask; "Yes, but what if they don't find a taker?" Perhaps there is some time limit, and Hahn is merely waiting to see which team has the best offer. It's likely that he could certainly, at least, find some team to simply take him and the contract. That would clear the money and the roster spot. 

• Haha 1

If Hahn has discussions with LAD about Kimbrel, he should bring up Bellinger and Lux.  But if he is rebuffed, what about a pivot to Michael Busch?  He is even more blocked behind Lux.  May not help this year but would be a great add to the system and be a long term solution at 2B (and LH power).

1 minute ago, CWSpalehoseCWS said:

Do you have faith Hahn knows what he's doing this offseason?

No I don’t. I’m afraid if he frees up money that he will use it towards another bullpen arm or a utility player. I would rather he get something back from the trade than free up the money even if we have to add a player or two.

As someone who feverishly called out the front office back in November for their inability to allocate funds efficiently and identify and analyze big league (not minor league) markets correctly, and got yelled at for those takes, it's nice to see the board wake up to the ineptitude of this front office.

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, Perfect Vision said:

If Hahn has discussions with LAD about Kimbrel, he should bring up Bellinger and Lux.  But if he is rebuffed, what about a pivot to Michael Busch?  He is even more blocked behind Lux.  May not help this year but would be a great add to the system and be a long term solution at 2B (and LH power).

The problem with the Dodgers is they are way into the luxury tax. Spotrac has them at $288 million, which means any money they add now is basically hit by the Cohen tax, which starts at $290 million. That means absorbing Kimbrel’s $16 million deal completely costs them $25 million.

The White Sox of course could and probably would pay some…but then the White Sox don’t get salary relief out of the deal, they’re paying to get the prospect, which takes them out of the market for any remaining FAs or trades, and they really didn’t even do that when they were rebuilding and could afford to.

• Quin locked this topic