Offseason Part 3 - Because Part 2 Was a Dud

CentralChamps21

3 hours ago, ptatc said:

I do not talk out of both sides of fmy mouth. 

I can't help you refuse to see any view but your own.

If you can't understand that Rodon has never pitched a full year in his career and is a risk to not do it again, I can't help you.

Did he pitch well, Yes, in a partial season.

Will he ever pitch a full season? That is the wager you take by offering him a deal.

I have been consistent in everything I've said. Your perception of that is something I can't control.

Everyone understands Rodon's injury risk. 

Yet, Kopech also has missed time regularly since being traded here.

Its the second part that you've not similarly acknowledged. Its also the part that is risky to this team's chances, because he's never successfully completed even 100 IP at this level. 

If he cannot provide enough IP for this team, that can certainly lead to more Lopez/Stiever/Lambert/Velasquez starts, which will almost certainly suck.

Edited by Two-Gun Pete
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, Two-Gun Pete said:

Everyone understands Rodon's injury risk. 

Yet, Kopech also has missed time regularly since being traded here.

Its the second part that you've not similarly acknowledged. Its also the part that is risky to this team's chances, because he's never successfully completed even 100 IP at this level. 

If he cannot provide enough IP for this team, that can certainly lead to more Lopez/Stiever/Lambert/Velasquez starts, which will most certainly suck.

You really need to go back and read. I've addressed it multiple times.

The rotation can handle one pitcher in this situation not 2. Trying to cover the innings of 2 pitchers who will likely miss innings is to difficult. They needed to get rid of one of them. Since Rodon did not have a contract and Kopech is cost controlled, he is the more logical one to keep.

Yes, someone like Lopez or a bullpen day will be needed to cover maybe 6-7 starts for either situation bit the rotation can't handle 2 pitchers in that situation. 

Edited by ptatc

34 minutes ago, ptatc said:

The rotation can handle one pitcher in this situation not 2. Trying to cover the innings of 2 pitchers who will likely miss innings is to difficult. They needed to get rid of one of them. Since Rodon did not have a contract and Kopech is cost controlled, he is the more logical one to keep.

If you have, you've been less than explicit in that.

That said, its silly to state that they couldn't use both. Kopech has 3 options left, so he could be (temporarily) sent to Charlotte to get slowly stretched out. Or, there is the reality that Kelly's IL stint exists, that Kopech could start in the pen, and transition to the rotation. Or, there is the reality of him being a tandem starter with Rodon or Keuchel.

They simply lack the imagination to deploy their pitching assets as other teams can and do.

Now, the 5th starter for a supposed contender, who has all of ~20 IP as a starter either has to miracle his ass to 140 IP this year, or he'll be used in tandem with Lopez/Velasquez.

I'd much rather have a Rodon/Kopech tandem than a Kopech/Velasquez tandem. Alas, RH just had to keep Kimbrel instead.

Edited by Two-Gun Pete
  • Like 1

13 minutes ago, Two-Gun Pete said:

If you have, you've been less than explicit in that.

That said, its silly to state that they couldn't use both. Kopech has 3 options left, so he could be (temporarily) sent to Charlotte to get slowly stretched out. Or, there is the reality that Kelly's IL stint is a reality, that Kopech could start in the pen, and transition to the rotation. Or, there is the reality of him being a tandem starter with Rodon or Keuchel.

They simply lack the imagination to deploy their pitching assets as other teams can and do.

Now, the 5th starter for a supposed contender, who has all of ~20 IP as a starter either has to miracle his ass to 140 IP this year, or he'll be used in tandem with Lopez/Velasquez.

I'd much rather have a Rodon/Kopech tandem than a Kopech/Velasquez tandem. Alas, RH just had to keep Kimbrel instead.

That's fine you can disagree. I've posted the same concepts multiple times maybe in the Rodon thread though.

It would take too many spot starts and bullpen innings to cover for 2 pitchers who could not pitch the full season. They would need many more bullpen arms than they have now.

The playoff rotation would be a mess with 2 primary starters with tired or injured arms.

They would be left with only Giolito, Lynn  and Cease for the playoffs. 

They could solve it if they acquired another dependable starter for which I haveadvocated.

This is why I think the pitching acquisitions are more of a priority than RF. For which many have disagreed.

Edited by ptatc

24 minutes ago, ptatc said:

Yes, someone like Lopez or a bullpen day will be needed to cover maybe 6-7 starts for either situation bit the rotation can't handle 2 pitchers in that situation. 

Or they could have simply gotten rid of Kimbrel.  In the end, they'd have that money to allocate towards another starter even if Rodon (highly likely as it played out with SFG) declined the QO.

And that previous argument means they would never have been able to start Crochet with Kopech unless they were willing to send him to the minors...

Edited by caulfield12
  • Like 1

15 minutes ago, maloney.adam said:

So why would the Sox keep Kimbrel when they already have a closer and have signed Kelly, and Graveman this offseason?

Either ego, or they thought that no one was watching what Kimbrel did with the SOX.

Probably both.

24 minutes ago, caulfield12 said:

Or they could have simply gotten rid of Kimbrel.  In the end, they'd have that money to allocate towards another starter even if Rodon (highly likely as it played out with SFG) declined the QO.

And that previous argument means they would never have been able to start Crochet with Kopech unless they were willing to send him to the minors...

Whose to say they won't acquire a starter with Kimbrel?

Crochet will be one of the spot starters and multi-innings guys they need to eat up those innings.

Kimbrel will get moved. The Sox have offers but they aren't ready to make a decision. In regards to the guys left on the market, teams are concerned with Story's ability to throw. I'm not sure where he ends up. There aren't really any rumors linking Conforto to anyone at this point which is real strange obviously. 

• Thanks 4

1 minute ago, Y2Jimmy0 said:

Kimbrel will get moved. The Sox have offers but they aren't ready to make a decision.

Is there a reason they aren't ready to make a decision, other than to get all the fans' blood pressure up?

Does JR have a stake in a pharmaceutical that makes blood pressure meds?

7 minutes ago, Y2Jimmy0 said:

Kimbrel will get moved. The Sox have offers but they aren't ready to make a decision. In regards to the guys left on the market, teams are concerned with Story's ability to throw. I'm not sure where he ends up. There aren't really any rumors linking Conforto to anyone at this point which is real strange obviously. 

With Jansen off the market, he and Lou Trivino are the two highest profile relievers remaining on the trade market.  Should now move quickly if there are legit offers before they risk him getting hurt.

Edited by caulfield12

7 minutes ago, CentralChamps21 said:

Is there a reason they aren't ready to make a decision, other than to get all the fans' blood pressure up?

Need more time to misread the market.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

10 minutes ago, CentralChamps21 said:

5 minutes ago, caulfield12 said:

With Jansen off the market, he and Lou Trivino are the two highest profile relievers remaining on the trade market.  Should now move quickly if there are legit offers before they risk him getting hurt.

I'm assuming that they want to eat as little money as possible. 

• Thanks 1

47 minutes ago, maloney.adam said:

So why would the Sox keep Kimbrel when they already have a closer and have signed Kelly, and Graveman this offseason?

Deeper bullpen?

I don't think they will but that would be the result. 

• Quin locked this topic