Offseason Part 3 - Because Part 2 Was a Dud

CentralChamps21

2 minutes ago, fathom said:

Supposedly Levine was on the radio today saying Sox aren’t going after another RF.  

We keep beating a dead horse. Deep down we don't want to think it, but this FO has their outfield set and they won't be making any acquisitions barring an injury.

16 minutes ago, southsideirish71 said:

Well, the last time I checked the owner of this franchise doesn't give out massive contracts.    So check out the contracts of the players and how many are free agents after 2024 and 2025.  So yes. The time is now.  We don't have a phase 2 in the minors that are nipping on these guys' heels right now.   Dynasty teams have waves of players coming in.  Look at the teams who spend quite a bit on their drafting, international FA, and development.  They consistently reload.  We have built this as the cubs built there's.  We are top-heavy, and that top is at the major league level.  Eventually, that top will cost money.  Some of these guys are under cost-controlled contracts.  But once again.  We don't have a second wave ready to hit anytime soon.    

I have written this often...but this is a false narrative about the bad farm system.   If you take the White Sox talent and put it in two camps 21-26 year olds and 21 and younger (or new to America)...we would be top five in each category.  If you can't get excited about Cespedes and Colas, Montgomery and Kath, Popeye and Ramos, Vera and the high school arms...they are not highly ranked farm because they all are young...but super talented and will begin arriving in two years...when we need them.   As for not giving out massive contracts....I said this two years ago often...when the Sox are good...in the 90, 00's and 10's we had a top five payroll and I said we would again...and I was mocked.  And here we are...and we will have a top five payroll for the next five years...we will hand out big contract to our stars like we did in the 90's 00's and 10's.  

4 minutes ago, michelangelosmonkey said:

I have written this often...but this is a false narrative about the bad farm system.   If you take the White Sox talent and put it in two camps 21-26 year olds and 21 and younger (or new to America)...we would be top five in each category.  If you can't get excited about Cespedes and Colas, Montgomery and Kath, Popeye and Ramos, Vera and the high school arms...they are not highly ranked farm because they all are young...but super talented and will begin arriving in two years...when we need them.   As for not giving out massive contracts....I said this two years ago often...when the Sox are good...in the 90, 00's and 10's we had a top five payroll and I said we would again...and I was mocked.  And here we are...and we will have a top five payroll for the next five years...we will hand out big contract to our stars like we did in the 90's 00's and 10's.  

This is incredibly false. But you seem to be in a nasty habit of just making up statements and thinking they'll stick. 

The Sox have been ranked as having the worst system in the league by multiple publications. When people that are paid to give these assessments create their Farm System Rankings, they don't penalize teams for having "young" prospects lol. 

It's a very bad farm system at the moment. There are very few high ceiling guys currently in the system, and very few players (especially pitchers) that are ready to help the 2022 and 2023 White Sox. 

18 minutes ago, michelangelosmonkey said:

Yes I wish we were like the Padres and the Phillies that win the offseason every year and have LOTS of big bad contracts out there.   Why are you unhappy about the off season?   A) it's NOT DONE.   B) top 6 bullpens won an average of 95 games last year...and we replaced our two worst arms with two very good pitchers.  C) NOT SPENDING MONEY is a strategy.   Part of keeping the core is not signing Edwin Jackson for 4 years and $52 million. Part of keeping the core intact is not trading for Dexter Fowlers big contract.  Part of longevity is not trading Eloy and Cease for Quintana.  We just saw the Cubs burn down their core because of lots of mis-steps.  Pushing all in for the short run can be bad for the long run.   This year attendance should boom which will fill the coffers for a big trade deadline deal...or resign long term parts.  Conforto over Vaughn/Engel does NOT put us in a "much better position to win".  I suspect if you evaluate the two options at the end of the year the fWar for Vaugnm/Engel will be higher than Conforto.     

Am I the only one who remembers how key Dexter Fowler was to the ‘16 Cubs? He hit the IL in like July and that was their only big slump.

2 minutes ago, michelangelosmonkey said:

Educate me oh wise one.   Seems your position is...we give $100 million to a guy the Met's don't want that was terrible last year...and we will be glorious.  If we don't we are doomed.  Genius.    

You show me where I said that, and I'll give you a gold star for the day. 

Seems like you have a reading comprehension problem as well. Makes sense. 

3 minutes ago, Tony said:

This is incredibly false. But you seem to be in a nasty habit of just making up statements and thinking they'll stick. 

The Sox have been ranked as having the worst system in the league by multiple publications. When people that are paid to give these assessments create their Farm System Rankings, they don't penalize teams for having "young" prospects lol. 

It's a very bad farm system at the moment. There are very few high ceiling guys currently in the system, and very few players (especially pitchers) that are ready to help the 2022 and 2023 White Sox. 

It's a shit system. I don't know how you can think otherwise. There's a bunch of guys that are two years away from being two years away (so wildcards really) and a bunch of low ceiling type corner players at the higher levels that project as solid regulars at best. No real star power and is devoid of top end talent with any sort of projectability as the talent they do have is mostly below high A.

23 minutes ago, chitownsportsfan said:

Mariners are having a pretty shit offseason as well imo.

Getting Winker and Saurez are significant upgrades to their offense.  

Edit: Boy, I completely forgot about Ray.  Winker and Ray give them 2 all stars that accounted for  9 bWAR last season.

Edited by turnin' two

18 minutes ago, michelangelosmonkey said:

Yes I wish we were like the Padres and the Phillies that win the offseason every year and have LOTS of big bad contracts out there.   Why are you unhappy about the off season?   A) it's NOT DONE.   B) top 6 bullpens won an average of 95 games last year...and we replaced our two worst arms with two very good pitchers.  C) NOT SPENDING MONEY is a strategy.   Part of keeping the core is not signing Edwin Jackson for 4 years and $52 million. Part of keeping the core intact is not trading for Dexter Fowlers big contract.  Part of longevity is not trading Eloy and Cease for Quintana.  We just saw the Cubs burn down their core because of lots of mis-steps.  Pushing all in for the short run can be bad for the long run.   This year attendance should boom which will fill the coffers for a big trade deadline deal...or resign long term parts.  Conforto over Vaughn/Engel does NOT put us in a "much better position to win".  I suspect if you evaluate the two options at the end of the year the fWar for Vaugnm/Engel will be higher than Conforto.     

This is a lot of straw man arguments. No one is suggesting that the Sox should push all in for short term gains. No one is suggesting that good bullpens aren’t important, we ARE suggesting that top bullpens very rarely seem like they’ll be top bullpens going into the season, and so blowing resources trying to build one (particularly when ignoring bigger needs) is a clearly bad strategy. No one is suggesting anything remotely close to trading for a Dexter Fowler bad contract, lmao. No one ever thought the Edwin Jackson contract was a good idea, even for a moment.

This White Sox DID spend a bunch of money, they just didn’t get anything that they needed with it. 

”Conforto over Vaughn/Engel does NOT put us in a ‘much better position to win’” is a bizarre statement. I’d love to hear you support that.

It’s a dogshit offseason, man. It doesn’t make you a bad fan to admit that, and admitting it doesn’t mean you aren’t allowed to root for the team still. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Snopek said:

It does feel weirdly low key, maybe because the Robbie Ray signing feels like ages ago. I did like the Winker trade for them.

The biggest problem they have is on paper their rotation is pretty bad.  They really need to hope every guy out performs his projection. I get signing Ray but without more help feels like it will hold them back. Offensively we'll see what Saurez and Toro can do. They have a lot of guys coming off career years or absolute shit (Kelenic), that could be awesome for them or could be a big blow if many of them regress without improvement from the younger guys. We'll see what happens it's an intriguing ass roster I'll give them that.

36 minutes ago, 35thstreetswarm said:

I am frustrated with this offseason so far.  I thought they should have spent money on a starter at a minimum.  I am worried that the FO is showing signs that they won't proceed with the urgency we all expected during our contention window.

That said, I am incredibly excited about our young core.  I also think a couple of things don't get enough focus here:  (1) other teams have flaws too.  The question isn't whether we have holes, it's whether ours are bigger than our competitors'.  In other words, what AL roster would you swap for ours?  I *might* have said Houston, but they just lost arguably their best player and cheater.  With that change, I'd say "none."  (2) The entire story of the contention window does not have to be written in March 2022.  Even assuming we do nothing else this offseason, we could still make a huge move at the deadline, and there's some logic to being extra patient with this roster, avoiding albatross contracts, and assessing young players' development for a few extra months when you're blessed with a weak division.  These factors mitigate my overall worry and frustration that we seem to be hanging back more than I'd like.

I'm not sure how the Sox could make a huge move at the deadline unless a couple players in their system take huge steps forward. That's a gamble in its own sense.

I also think it's a bit of homer shaded glasses to say they have the best roster in the AL. They have the 4th most projected WAR in the league right now and by a couple outlets the 5th best projected record and they're in the weakest division. It doesn't mean they can't be the best team in the AL, but it does mean their on-paper roster isn't the best in the eyes of a lot of projection systems and models, so it'll take more "if's" for them to reach that ceiling compared to others.

Edited by Look at Ray Ray Run

5 minutes ago, striker said:

This guy is an "independent reporter." 

31 minutes ago, Saufley said:

We keep beating a dead horse. Deep down we don't want to think it, but this FO has their outfield set and they won't be making any acquisitions barring an injury.

I think this has been pretty transparent for quite some time so not all that surprising. 

Micker mania, boys! Micker is my guy so I wouldn't even be all that mad. 

28 minutes ago, michelangelosmonkey said:

Your view on the farm system is very, very wrong.  Most teams have a lot more players like the ones you cited above than we do.

• Quin locked this topic