Offseason Part 3 - Because Part 2 Was a Dud

CentralChamps21

Just now, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

The White Sox pitching staff had the highest fWAR in baseball last year. Their relievers had the 2nd highest. 

Their RF was 23rd in baseball. Their 2B ranked 23rd.

They also lost Rodon, so there’s that.

20 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

Agents and front offices both negotiate through the media all the time.  Are you actually suggesting otherwise?  Whether it’s an effective strategy is an entirely different debate.

And no, I don’t think Hahn leaked something to Bruce to specifically go on air today to get Scott Boras to pump his fist in the air.  I think the Sox want it to appear throughout all media outlets that they are content with Andrew Vaughn as their primary RF and don’t need an expensive, multi-year upgrade.  It’s really that simple.

I agree about front offices and agents negotiating through the media, I just struggle to see how Levine apparently mentioning (on a random afternoon show that none of us actually heard on our own, I should add) that the Sox aren't looking for a RF upgrade is an example of it. Even if you're correct that it's not about the specific example, but the Sox wanting to have a united front on not needing an upgrade, you'd think that Boras would know their interest level or lack thereof by now.

2 minutes ago, ptatc said:

Correct. So where should they allocate their resources? I know I'm in the minority but I think the pitching especially the bullpen was the greatest weakness.

The bullpen prior to signing anyone was Hendriks, Bummer and Crochet.

I wouldn't invest that much of my money into a position that is extremely volatile. 

I don't think the expected outcomes between Collin Mchugh/Chris Martin and Graveman/Kelly are all that different, but the difference in price is 7.5 million a year versus 15 million. 

While I don't hate trying to make Velasquez a reliever, it seems they might even be stretching him out and in that case that money should have just been held onto because Velasquez has proven to be terrible in an extended roll. 

16 minutes ago, ptatc said:

I think this is true to an extent this year. With the shortened Spring training either more starters or a deeper bullpen will be a key to winning. 

Sure, but spending at the top of the market and giving two guys multi year deals (which only a handful of relievers received this offseason) is not the inefficiency.

10 minutes ago, smellysox said:

So looking at other possibilities in RF, is Micker Adolfo a candidate? He's finally healthy. 25 hr last season between aa/aaa.  He's a mountain of a man. Strong. Still a great arm. 2 hr so far this spring. At least 4 rbis today. Should I  get excited?

Maybe if they did something better at 2B, but they should aim higher than two guys hitting .200ish in the bottom of your order.

4 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

All fair points…I just don’t think Conforto on a 4/$80M deal constitutes a huge contract.  It may be big for us, but it’s not giant for most clubs.

And a 4th year shouldn't be too fear inducing as a potential bad long term deal.

• Like 1

Just now, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

I wouldn't invest that much of my money into a position that is extremely volatile. 

I don't think the expected outcomes between Collin Mchugh/Chris Martin and Graveman/Kelly are all that different, but the difference in price is 7.5 million a year versus 15 million. 

While I don't hate trying to make Velasquez a reliever, it seems they might even be stretching him out and in that case that money should have just been held onto because Velasquez has proven to be terrible in an extended roll. 

I don't disagree. As I've said I like the philosophy but don't know the players well enough to decide who was better. The advantage of having the young cost-controlled lineup is that they can spend the money where they have weaknesses. So they ca spend money on the BP arms with short deals. I don't think any got more than a 2 year deal with options. So none of the deals are long term issues.

3 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

Sure, but spending at the top of the market and giving two guys multi year deals (which only a handful of relievers received this offseason) is not the inefficiency.

Depends on what it costs to acquire a starter. They needed to acquire more pitching in one way or another.

What's the point of trading kimbrel if they're not going use the money? jimmy seems confident that they are waiting but do have offers on kimbrel. But he's not confident on conforto. Are they trying to trade kimbrel merely to be under budget? the front office and rumors have me scratching my head

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, ptatc said:

I don't disagree. As I've said I like the philosophy but don't know the players well enough to decide who was better. The advantage of having the young cost-controlled lineup is that they can spend the money where they have weaknesses. So they ca spend money on the BP arms with short deals. I don't think any got more than a 2 year deal with options. So none of the deals are long term issues.

We seem to be pretty tight against the budget right now tho

12 minutes ago, greg775 said:

If Eloy gets hurt again in LF that would be a fireable offense IMO. Unless Eloy has really worked on his defense, which is possible, it's unacceptable for a GM to trot him out there daily where he can get hurt. Just my thoughts.

Its not his call lmao.  

1 minute ago, Bob Sacamano said:

I count 10 potentially in the organization (dependent on injuries and how a couple obvious guys to do in the minors).

Here’s the weird thing - the fact that RF looks like a mess right now probably means it will be another spot that is their worst ongoing problem once things start.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, whitesoxwinner said:

What's the point of trading kimbrel if they're not going use the money? jimmy seems confident that they are waiting but do have offers on kimbrel. But he's not confident on conforto. Are they trying to trade kimbrel merely to be under budget? the front office and rumors have me scratching my head

This offseason has been a head scratcher to say the least.

3 minutes ago, Jose Abreu said:

I agree about front offices and agents negotiating through the media, I just struggle to see how Levine apparently mentioning (on a random afternoon show that none of us actually heard on our own, I should add) that the Sox aren't looking for a RF upgrade is an example of it. Even if you're correct that it's not about the specific example, but the Sox wanting to have a united front on not needing an upgrade, you'd think that Boras would know their interest level or lack thereof by now.

When you leak information, you only control the message, not how it’s disseminated.  The Sox don’t get to tell Levine where to go share this information.  They simply want it out there somewhere and let happen organically at Bruce and others’ disposal.

Again, I’m not arguing it’s effective.  Personally I think it’s kind of dumb.  But we were all there for the Machado negotiations and saw first hand both sides leaking stuff back & forth.  And Boras uses leaks all the time.  Just follow Jon Heyman’s Twitter account if you don’t believe me.

Also, front office leaks aren’t always trying to mislead an agent, but oftentimes opposing front offices.  Blind bidding processes aren’t easy and downplaying a need can theoretically help other teams feel like they are bidding against themselves.

9 minutes ago, ptatc said:

Graveman got a three year deal.

35 minutes ago, caulfield12 said:

What is Paxton's status?

lol, rehabbing I'd guess with Boston. Mariners also were unusually healthy last year pitching wise. Paxton surgery sure, but he's broken goods. If Ray goes down they are in huge trouble. We think the Sox are on thin ice with one horse going down, well at least in theory we have a couple others to pick it up. Mariners have nobody.

23 minutes ago, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

The White Sox pitching staff had the highest fWAR in baseball last year. Their relievers had the 2nd highest. 

Their RF was 23rd in baseball. Their 2B ranked 23rd.

That's RF in isolation as opposed the whole pitching staff. Compare it to the whole offense.

Or compare the bullpen to the offense.

They lost at least 2 pitchers in Rodon and Heuer.

• Quin locked this topic