Offseason Part 3 - Because Part 2 Was a Dud

CentralChamps21

It's been said ad nasuem, but they signed one reliever coming off a career year with no track record in the roll to a multi-year deal that exceeded the values that better and more reliable arms got (like McHugh). And they signed another reliever who hasn't been pitching in high leverage and was injured to a multi-year deal when there were possibly better options for cheaper. Given how important every dollar seems to be with this team, they jumped a market to set the market and then almost everyone after who was comparable ended up signing for less. 

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, Tony said:

Seems clear as the days go on that they were not anticipating this offseason, seemingly had no backup plan when their original intentions didn't materialize and are going to attempt to "add" at around the deadline. Which may end up working, seeing as the AL Central shouldn't be that big of a buzzsaw. But it still doesn't excuse what has taken place the last 8 months. 

Don’t disagree with you on their mindset but the division thing is a terrible way to look at things this year(it always is but especially this year) with the way the playoffs are set up.  Getting a top 2 seed is too important to be like meh we’ll upgrade at the deadline cause our division sucks and we’ll probably get in anyways.

Edited by Rowand44

9 minutes ago, ChiSox59 said:

I mean - we needed relievers. Imagine how bad this pen would be without Kimbrel, Graveman and Kelly. I continue to not understand why people are so up in arms about signing the latter two. Maybe they over a tiny bit, but they needed relievers. Unless you wanted to watch Foster, Burr and Ruiz blow games all summer. 

I talked about needing relievers for sure.  I mean the pen, especially if they really do move Kimbrel needs some bridge work for sure.  But the problem was they didn't spend anywhere else where they had just as big of needs.

• Like 1

I'm going to try to inject a little optimism into this thread, not so much because I feel it, just as an exercise:

1) Assuming we keep Kimbrel, and assuming he improves over his Aug/Sep performance last year, the Sox have hands down the best bullpen in the AL.  Depending on the bullpen they're facing, they should have 8-9 innings to score runs whereas the opposition will really struggle to score in close games after the 5th or 6th.  That's a big advantage.

2) Andrew Vaughn's ceiling at the plate is higher than any other RF option available, and he showed last year that he's at least minimally competent in the field.  Leury is obviously nothing spectacular, but he's proven that he can consistently contribute within the relatively narrow confines of his game.  It is conceivable that, if done right, that platoon will offer nearly or more than the production of any other solution in RF.

3) No MLB team has an above average starter at all 8 positions...our 2B situation proves the rule.

4) The 4/5 spots (currently Kopech and Keuchel) in the starting rotation are question marks at best, but it's still a top 10 rotation.  Sportsnaut has them at #3!

There, try that on for size, see how it fits.  Maybe you'll find it's more comfortable than rampant negativity.  I know I feel better.

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

It's been said ad nasuem, but they signed one reliever coming off a career year with no track record in the roll to a multi-year deal that exceeded the values that better and more reliable arms got (like McHugh). And they signed another reliever who hasn't been pitching in high leverage and was injured to a multi-year deal when there were possibly better options for cheaper. Given how important every dollar seems to be with this team, they jumped a market to set the market and then almost everyone after who was comparable ended up signing for less. 

A lot of decent to good relievers signed for less than we gave these guys and for one year. Crazy.

Looking at the free agent tracker, I count 8. Sign 3 of those guys and you’ve suddenly saved significant money haha

Edited by Bob Sacamano
  • Like 2

12 minutes ago, Bob Sacamano said:

Huh? Have they not been saying that for about a week now?

The only thing I've heard is RH with some lawyer speak saying nothing.  This FO is very stealthy in its activities.  I don't think for a minute they are not working on Kimbrel as an example.  Starting pitching is also an area that RH has indicated they were looking into.  Simply put...it is not the MO of our FO to share with fans what they are or are not going to do.

1 minute ago, Quin said:

Making your fanbase and generating ticket sales, parking sales, concession and souvenir sales, and goodwill isn't worth the risk of signing someone.

I mean I get that they need way more than that to make up for the $35 million already spent, but still, how this doesn't appeal to the White Sox is beyond me.  Lord knows we have a million or two tickets we could still sell this year.

6 minutes ago, poppysox said:

The only thing I've heard is RH with some lawyer speak saying nothing.  This FO is very stealthy in its activities.  I don't think for a minute they are not working on Kimbrel as an example.  Starting pitching is also an area that RH has indicated they were looking into.  Simply put...it is not the MO of our FO to share with fans what they are or are not going to do.

Yeah, a little confused as to why people are suddenly taking FO quotes as truth.

Just now, Snopek said:

Yeah, a little confused as to why people are suddenly taking FO quotes as truth.

Because this place has been an echo chamber of negativity for weeks and anything they can grab onto...they do.

I wish I could look away, but damn, jsut wanna talk some Sox baseball and its so engrained in my daily activites.  You'd think this team was the Pittsburgh Pirates reading these threads. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Whisox05 said:

Sox could have top 10 RFer

I mean, truth be told the Sox could have a Top 3 RF and maybe they don't get face stomped by the Astros last year.

*insert image of Harper's number at the United Center here*

• Like 1

Just now, Quin said:

I mean, truth be told the Sox could have a Top 3 RF and maybe they don't get face stomped by the Astros last year.

*insert image of Harper's number at the United Center here*

Harper was the one they really needed tho god knows what other area they would short on cause they spent all the money lol

4 minutes ago, ChiSox59 said:

Because this place has been an echo chamber of negativity for weeks and anything they can grab onto...they do.

I wish I could look away, but damn, jsut wanna talk some Sox baseball and its so engrained in my daily activites.  You'd think this team was the Pittsburgh Pirates reading these threads. 

They just pulled some complete Pittsburgh Pirates s*** today. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, maxjusttyped said:

Not sure if this has already been posted/suggested, but he could definitely make sense as a depth addition for the Sox. Career 109 wRC+ vs RHP, can play 1B/LF/RF.

The only problem is that he's a horrible OFer. He's probably no better than Sheets out there. 

36 minutes ago, Rowand44 said:

Don’t disagree with you on their mindset but the division thing is a terrible way to look at things this year(it always is but especially this year) with the way the playoffs are set up.  Getting a top 2 seed is too important to be like meh we’ll upgrade at the deadline cause our division sucks and we’ll probably get in anyways.

Welcome to the Chicago White Sox. 

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, poppysox said:

So when in your eyes do the Sox cross the threshold of not being smarter than everyone else and actually failed this off-season? What date is that on your calendar? 

• Quin locked this topic