Offseason Part 3 - Because Part 2 Was a Dud

CentralChamps21

1 minute ago, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

I'd trade sheets in a heartbeat. Then again, others seem to be much higher on sheets than me

I honestly can't decide on how much I like Sheets. I go back and forth.

One day, I'll be thinking, "Sheets had some solid numbers, but it was against very favorable matchups, and the pitchers will adjust. Trade him now while he's at his peak."

Then the next day, I'll think, "Man, Sheets didn't just have good numbers...he had some good-looking at bats. He knows how to work the count and take his walks, and he's only going to get better. He also had some HUGE hits last year in key spots. He could be the lefty power bat that we so desperately need."

• Like 5

6 minutes ago, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

I'd trade sheets in a heartbeat. Then again, others seem to be much higher on sheets than me

I know it's an extremely small sample size, but dude put up a HR every 14.55 ABs last year, which is good enough for 9th best in history.  On a team lacking power from the left side, I just want to see what he can do in a full year with regular ABs.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, SoxBlanco said:

I honestly can't decide on how much I like Sheets. I go back and forth.

One day, I'll be thinking, "Sheets had some solid numbers, but it was against very favorable matchups, and the pitchers will adjust. Trade him now while he's at his peak."

Then the next day, I'll think, "Man, Sheets didn't just have good numbers...he had some good-looking at bats. He knows how to work the count and take his walks, and he's only going to get better. He also had some HUGE hits last year in key spots. He could be the lefty power bat that we so desperately need."

I get it. To me, he's not a good enough hitter to be a full time dh, he's not better than Vaughn so he isn't going to be a first baseman, and I'm not putting him in the outfield.

I wouldn't be shocked if the highest ops of sheets career was last year. 

I think Gavin Sheets as the headliner for Sean Manaea made lots of sense if the White Sox then signed Conforto or added a different LHH outfielder. I'm not sure they can trade Sheets right now without doing that because they have to get more left-handed. It's imperative. Also from what i've heard, Sean Manaea would love to be with the White Sox and likely returns to the midwest in free agency regardless. This trade isn't up to him though obviously. 

• Like 8

4 minutes ago, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

Lopez stinks. 

Carlos rodon had a history of completely dominating mlb hitters despite his injuries.

Lopez is simply not good and really never has been.

and Rodon has a history of injuries. Prior to last years 2.37 ERA, his MLB ERA for years 1 thru 6 averaged out to 4.921,  Hardly dominating in my book.

Look , I love Carlos I  Just don't think he was worth the risk att 22 mil per year based on his injury history and a half season of progress last year.

• Fire 1

2 minutes ago, Y2Jimmy0 said:

I think Gavin Sheets as the headliner for Sean Manaea made lots of sense if the White Sox then signed Conforto or added a different LHH outfielder. I'm not sure they can trade Sheets right now without doing that because they have to get more left-handed. It's imperative. Also from what i've heard, Sean Manaea would love to be with the White Sox and likely returns to the midwest in free agency regardless. This trade isn't up to him though obviously. 

Sheets and more for Manaea, then Kimbrel and maybe a prospect/$ for Meadows. Boom.

Huge grain of salt/FWIW, but have a good buddy in Chicago who claims there's a Sox scout at his gym that he got to talking to, basically confirmed all our greatest fears, scouts are all furious about the offseason, zero offers for Kimbrel, his $ is preventing any payroll add, Harrison was their 4th choice.  Good times. 

• Fire 3

3 minutes ago, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

I wouldn't be shocked at that either.  But I also wouldn't be shocked if he got 400 PA as a DH this year, and put up 25-30 HR with an OPS of .850.

3 minutes ago, JoeCredeYes said:

I know it's an extremely small sample size, but dude put up a HR every 14.55 ABs last year, which is good enough for 9th best in history.  On a team lacking power from the left side, I just want to see what he can do in a full year with regular ABs.

So Gavin can either be the next Thome (#4) or Dunn (#11).

For what it's worth, I'm just joking around. That's a pretty remarkable stat.

1 minute ago, A-Train to 35th said:

and Rodon has a history of injuries. Prior to last years 2.37 ERA, his MLB ERA for years 1 thru 6 averaged out to 4.921,  Hardly dominating in my book.

Look , I love Carlos I  Just don't think he was worth the risk att 22 mil per year based on his injury history and a half season of progress last year.

Not saying he was, just saying there's a 0% chance Reynaldo Lopez is even a top 20 starter in baseball the first half of this year, let alone the best pitcher in baseball.

Carlos was inconsistent but he had bouts of complete dominance with two ++ pitches. Lopez has no ++ pitches and isn't good. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, JoeCredeYes said:

Huge grain of salt/FWIW, but have a good buddy in Chicago who claims there's a Sox scout at his gym that he got to talking to, basically confirmed all our greatest fears, scouts are all furious about the offseason, zero offers for Kimbrel, his $ is preventing any payroll add, Harrison was their 4th choice.  Good times. 

Honestly, how could anyone be satisfied with this off-season?

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

I get it. To me, he's not a good enough hitter to be a full time dh, he's not better than Vaughn so he isn't going to be a first baseman, and I'm not putting him in the outfield.

I agree with this. I think some of the twinge of doubt of how good he can be is how he way overperformed my expectations on what he could do post A+ Winston-Salem.

Great makeup too. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Bob Sacamano said:

Honestly, how could anyone be satisfied with this off-season?

Yeah, I've been pretty anti Conforto all off season, but I assumed some position players of value would be added.  The good money after bad on Kimbrel is just inexcusable and now you've got to pray he starts hot and doesn't get hurt so he has a market, just a complete cluster F. 

The way the post-lockout activity has gone, it does seem like teams are waiting things out…seeing who gets hurt in spring training, who starts offering more in trades as opening day approaches. There could be a lot of moves in the next week. And even in April before teams have to settle on 26 players. Adding pitching is a must at this point.

9 minutes ago, bmags said:

I agree with this. I think some of the twinge of doubt of how good he can be is how he way overperformed my expectations on what he could do post A+ Winston-Salem.

Great makeup too. 

Yeah, I think his pedigree and make up are what could prove my opinion and evaluation of him wrong. 

Hes not gonna hit a quarter of his fly balls out in 2022 and so much of his production was propped up by those homers.

Edited by Look at Ray Ray Run

6 minutes ago, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

Not saying he was, just saying there's a 0% chance Reynaldo Lopez is even a top 20 starter in baseball the first half of this year, let alone the best pitcher in baseball.

Carlos was inconsistent but he had bouts of complete dominance with two ++ pitches. Lopez has no ++ pitches and isn't good. 

I prefaced my thoughts/hopes/dreams for Lopez with "Call me delusional"...characterized by or holding idiosyncratic beliefs or impressions that are contradicted by reality or rational argument

Edited by A-Train to 35th

8 minutes ago, A-Train to 35th said:

Wow. I didn't think anyone agreed with me.

2 minutes ago, bmags said:

We could have had Carlos for 18 per year, not sure why people throw around his SF giants number.

I was explaining this to my dad last night. It wasn't Rodon for what the Giants gave him. It was Rodon at $18M/1 year or getting a 2nd rounder. I'd take that over what we have right now.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, bmags said:

We could have had Carlos for 18 per year, not sure why people throw around his SF giants number.

That is not true.

The problem with not offering the QO was not getting the pick when he went elsewhere. Rodon was never accepting the QO.

• Like 3

18 minutes ago, JoeCredeYes said:

Ofcourse no one is going to offer anything for him at 16m. At this point, someone might bite if we ate half the money, but there still would be no real return and an extra 8m to play with won't really address any of the core needs. Maybe it would have opened up room for the 1 yr/6m Joc deal when he was out there but that's about it.

Sounds like they will just have to hope he rebuilds his value during the season and other relievers get hurt. 

Settling for their 4th choice at 2B is comically bad but very much in line with this franchise's seemingly endless ability to step on their own dicks. Miller would have been nice but I understand they probably  didn't want to give out a 2 year deal to a short term bridge/bandaid.

And I agree with Jimmy that we need to keep Sheets at DH right now due to the lack of balance.  Ofcourse, this means the very few trade chips we have for a SP gets even thinner. 

They are caught in a tight spot where one problem exacerbates another and there's really no good options unless u really want to clean out whatever is left of the high end of the prospect system and that would be bad for the future. 

Edited by SoCalChiSox

24 minutes ago, JoeCredeYes said:

That stat alone tells me he's a trade while value is high guy.

3 minutes ago, SoCalChiSox said:

Ofcourse no one is going to offer anything for him at 16m. At this point, someone might bite if we ate half the money, but there still would be no real return and an extra 8m to play with won't really address any of the core needs. Maybe it would have opened up room for the 1 yr/6m Joc deal when he was out there but that's about it.

Sounds like they will just have to hope he rebuilds his value during the season and other relievers get hurt. 

Settling for their 4th choice at 2B is comically bad but very much in line with this franchise's seemingly endless ability to step on their own dicks. Miller would have been nice but I understand they probably  didn't want to give out a 2 year deal to a short term bridge.

You make it sound that the ability to step on your own dick is a bad thing.

That's some pride right there.

Yes, it's a joke.

• Haha 1

• Quin locked this topic