Offseason Part 3 - Because Part 2 Was a Dud

CentralChamps21

So a lot of people on this board want conforto but he is one of the last people to sign or even be mentioned to sign. What do others know about him or why hasn’t he signed . If he is that good that everyone on here drools why hasn’t anyone signed him?

27 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

Bro.

Andrew Vaughn isn't going to be a 68 OPS+ hitter against RHP just because he did it last year after a year essentially playing no MiLB ball. 

No one knows where he is "at the moment ". We know what he did last year. That's it.

No one is "dumb" for recognizing that Andrew Vaughn is going to be a really good MLB hitter.

The only "dumb" thing would be to overreact to a fluke start to a career and turn one of the best hitting prospects in baseball into a weak side platoon hitter.

Vaughn should go to Charlotte until we can figure out what the hell is going on. 

28 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

It does scare me that their window to spend any Kimbrel savings could close very quickly with a couple of key signings.

Depends in the salary they bring back in the trade.

2 minutes ago, KBX said:

Vaughn should go to Charlotte until we can figure out what the hell is going on. 

No. He needs to learn MLB pitching. He will learn nothing down there.

The only way that happens is if he really struggles to begin the season and he needs to get comfortable  again.

• Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, quickman said:

So a lot of people on this board want conforto but he is one of the last people to sign or even be mentioned to sign. What do others know about him or why hasn’t he signed . If he is that good that everyone on here drools why hasn’t anyone signed him?

Maybe the league realizes he's a platoon guy that can't hit lefties. 

21 minutes ago, caulfield12 said:

Pretty much everyone knows they're likely to (argue that they're going to) use that money in June and July now.

The fact that both Castellanos and Conforto are sitting there with minimal chatter makes me wonder if the Sox have a handshake in place with one of them, or are at least far enough that they can quickly close once they move salary.

6 minutes ago, fathom said:

so Kaplan today said the Sox are very interested in Montas, but the price is either Vaughn or Sheets and Crochet.  Didn’t hear anything about Sox holding 3 offers for Kimbrel, but I could have missed that 

Hard pass on Montas if that's the price imo.

• Like 6

50 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

Andrew Vaughn isn't going to be a 68 OPS+ hitter against RHP just because he did it last year after a year essentially playing no MiLB ball. 

No one knows where he is "at the moment ". We know what he did last year. That's it.

No one is "dumb" for recognizing that Andrew Vaughn is going to be a really good MLB hitter.

The only "dumb" thing would be to overreact to a fluke start to a career and turn one of the best hitting prospects in baseball into a weak side platoon hitter.

More than a few posters here don't get this. Andrew Vaughn got a grand total of 205 PA in Rookie and A ball his draft year. Covid year he spent at Schaumberg.  Come Eloy's injury in '21 and -VOILA!- welcome not only to the Majors and MLB pitching but a new position(s) as well. That not to mention on a contending team to boot.
My only quibble would be that he might use a half season in AAA to get his eyeballs and swing calibrated to good RH pitching.  
Or not.

Edited by FoxForce2
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, FoxForce2 said:

More than a few posters here don't get this. Andrew Vaughn got a grand total of 205 PA in Rookie, and A ball his draft year. Covid year he spent at Schaumberg.  Come Eloy's injury in '21 and -VOILA!- welcome not only to the Majors and MLB pitching but a new position(s) as well.
My only quibble would be that he might use a half season in AAA to get his eyeballs and swing calibrated to good RH pitching.  

Vaughn could have easily spent another year or even two destroying crappy MiLB pitching and none would have thought twice.  In fact it probably would have served to increase the hype around the kid.  I don't think it can be overstated enough how impressive this kid holding his own last year actually was.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, fathom said:

so Kaplan today said the Sox are very interested in Montas, but the price is either Vaughn or Sheets and Crochet.  Didn’t hear anything about Sox holding 3 offers for Kimbrel, but I could have missed that 

Sheets and Crochet for Montas, I’d probably have to say yes. I’d prefer Manaea over the guy with a PED suspension though.

I’m not trading Vaughn this year. Period.

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, flavum said:

Sheets and Crochet for Montas, I’d probably have to say yes. I’d prefer Manaea over the guy with a PED suspension though.

Given that Crochet is probably not getting out of the bullpen with the Sox, I think that's an ok deal. Expensive, but I could live with it. 

Edited by Jack Parkman

2 minutes ago, flavum said:

I just really don't like or trust montas. If you have doubts about crochet as a starter, Sheets + him would be fine for a nice arm. 

Not sure I trust the sox to assess crochet at this point. If he has any chance of starting I wouldn't move him. If he doesn't, I'd ship him.

• Like 1

Just now, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

I just really don't like or trust montas. If you have doubts about crochet as a starter, Sheets + him would be fine for a nice arm. 

Not sure I trust the sox to assess crochet at this point. If he has any chance of starting I wouldn't move him. If he doesn't, I'd ship him.

I think that if Crochet remains on the Sox, he's going to stay in the bullpen. 

He won't start unless he gets traded. 

1 minute ago, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

Biggest question with Crochet is how badly his velocity tumbles if he transitions to being a starter. If he's out there throwing low 90s, I don't see how he can be an effective starter. 

11 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

The fact that both Castellanos and Conforto are sitting there with minimal chatter makes me wonder if the Sox have a handshake in place with one of them, or are at least far enough that they can quickly close once they move salary.

Castellanos was connected to the Phillies and Marlins today.

If Bassitt can be had for JT Ginn then Vaughn would be a massive overpay for Montas.

Even Sheets + Crochet is an absurd overpay.

Again, the Twins got Sonny Gray for just Chase Petty. That's the type of value you look for. If Montas  costs that much, just walk away and find a different deal

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Just now, Jack Parkman said:

I think that if Crochet remains on the Sox, he's going to stay in the bullpen. 

He won't start unless he gets traded. 

They must not believe he has the ability to sustain velocity over an extended number of innings...and last year his fastball velo was about the average of what Rodon or the Chris Sale of yore would ramp up to in the later innings of a start.

1 minute ago, KBX said:

Vaughn has his back against the wall. They handled him like maroons. No minor league time and out of position at the MLB level. You can ruin a guy this way. 

Moline Maroons or morons?

Fortunately, it seems he showed the moxie or competitive disposition to handle it all quite well, all things considered.

• Quin locked this topic