Offseason Part 3 - Because Part 2 Was a Dud

CentralChamps21

Just now, PolishPrince34 said:

I’m staying away from Montas at that price and past knee issues with all the weight he carries. I’m all in on trading for Manaea and signing him to an extension. Fine with Burger or Sheets headlining the deal. 

What kind of extension?  Instead of Giolito?

5 minutes ago, PolishPrince34 said:

I’m staying away from Montas at that price and past knee issues with all the weight he carries. I’m all in on trading for Manaea and signing him to an extension. Fine with Burger or Sheets headlining the deal. 

This is what I want as well. Feels like Oakland has multiple suitors and is waiting for someone to sweeten the pot before they pull the trigger on a trade though.

Edited by DirtySox

When crochet came he was suppose to be chris sale but if he was chris sale he would be in the rotation by now. I don’t know what he is except a lefthander .if he is not chris sale then get something for him, if he is chris sale then get him in the rotation.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, caulfield12 said:

What kind of extension?  Instead of Giolito?

We have $60 million off the books next year if you include Abreu and Kimbrel. He makes 10.2 million this year and give him a 3 year extension between 12-15 million per. Would still have plenty of money for Giolito. 

Edited by PolishPrince34

1 minute ago, PolishPrince34 said:

We have $60 million off the books next year if you include Abreu. He makes 10.2 million this year and give him a 3 year extension between 12-15 million per. Would still have plenty of money for Giolito. 

Balta?  75% believe Abreu will still be around next year.

1 minute ago, PolishPrince34 said:

We have $60 million off the books next year if you include Abreu. He makes 10.2 million this year and give him a 3 year extension between 12-15 million per. Would still have plenty of money for Giolito. 

Abreu will go year to year if he comes back he doesn’t want another team and the Sox want him but not long term.

3 minutes ago, quickman said:

When crochet came he was suppose to be chris sale but if he was chris sale he would be in the rotation by now. I don’t know what he is except a lefthander .if he is not chris sale then get something for him, if he is chris sale then get him in the rotation.

Sale didn't start until his age 23 season, Crochet will turn 23 in June, I don't think it's unreasonable to give him another year in the pen before deciding what he is.  

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, quickman said:

So a lot of people on this board want conforto but he is one of the last people to sign or even be mentioned to sign. What do others know about him or why hasn’t he signed . If he is that good that everyone on here drools why hasn’t anyone signed him?

All of the 4 biggest FA names remaining have qualifying offers attached. So did Freeman, who didn’t go until last night. 

1 minute ago, JoeCredeYes said:

Sale didn't start until his age 23 season, Crochet will turn 23 in June, I don't think it's unreasonable to give him another year in the pen before deciding what he is.  

Good point but crochet pitches with the Sox the same year he was drafted not sure sale did that. 

1 minute ago, JoeCredeYes said:

Sale had also thrown 280 innings in the combined 2 years before being drafted. Crochet has never throw 100 in a season. Big difference. If the white Sox wanted him as a starter they needed to take their time and work him in the minors more.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, quickman said:

Good point but crochet pitches with the Sox the same year he was drafted not sure sale did that. 

Yes, Chris was up weeks after signing. That infamous at bat where Joe Mauer went basically “what the hell was that” after striking out was like 2 months after he was drafted.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, PolishPrince34 said:

It's pretty obvious, if the Sox are giving up anything substantial, bringing in Manea would almost have to come with an extension in mind. Otherwise you're paying a premium for a rental.

1 minute ago, quickman said:

Do qualifying offers still exist in the new agreement? 

For this year yes. They were already offered before the CBA expired. They go away next year.

The fact that they do suppress the market for guys this much is why the players wanted them gone so badly.

4 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

Sale had also thrown 280 innings in the combined 2 years before being drafted. Crochet has never throw 100 in a season. Big difference. If the white Sox wanted him as a starter they needed to take their time and work him in the minors more.

It's Garrett's fault for being so good right away.  Whatever he turns out to be I hate to deal him this young unless a bonafide ace with a better track record than Montas comes back. 

48 minutes ago, quickman said:

So a lot of people on this board want conforto but he is one of the last people to sign or even be mentioned to sign. What do others know about him or why hasn’t he signed . If he is that good that everyone on here drools why hasn’t anyone signed him?

So by that logic, Carlos Correa sucks?

2 minutes ago, FoxForce2 said:

It's pretty obvious, if the Sox are giving up anything substantial, bringing in Manea would almost have to come with an extension in mind. Otherwise you're paying a premium for a rental.

Realistically assuming arb offers to obvious guys like Gio and Cease, and with Keuchel gone, the white sox’s payroll next year is already $170 million+. If $190 is an issue this year, are we comfortable having $190 on the books for 2023? 

16 minutes ago, quickman said:

I was under the impression that this year he can be a depth guy and an opener — just multi-inning stuff including postseason where that kind of thing tends to be a huge asset. Come next year he would need a third pitch and be #5 and someone else a depth guy. 

That's just a rough timeline that seems realistic. Though I don't know what they think at the moment. 

8 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

In all honesty Crochet is the most reliever looking guy I've ever seen. Then again #2 is Sale. 

As much as Gavin looks like an Oakland A, Crochet is tenfold more a reliever when you just glance at him. 

However, barring too many injuries I'd be surprised if Crochet weren't a valuable MLB asset one way or another. 

36 minutes ago, flavum said:

Sheets and Crochet for Montas, I’d probably have to say yes. I’d prefer Manaea over the guy with a PED suspension though.

I’m not trading Vaughn this year. Period.

Gross. I’d rather just hang onto Crochet  and sign someone like Pineda.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• Quin locked this topic