Offseason Part 3 - Because Part 2 Was a Dud

CentralChamps21

24 minutes ago, ptatc said:

Wasn't there talk of them moving Tatis to the OF to protect his shoulder issues?

Yes, and he still didn’t have the shoulder surgery…so everything’s up in the air due to trade speculation and how Kim/Abrams handle SS offensively the first half.  Both are plus defenders.

52 minutes ago, ShoeLessRob said:

Of course they are. 

https://www.spotrac.com/mlb/cleveland-guardians/jose-ramirez-14106/

Ramirez has two years of control remaining. 

They're going to ask for Abrams, but I think the package would be something like Gore, Weathers and one more piece, maybe Hassell.

(Notice this is NOT similar to the Hosmer salary dumping Mets deal, although that could certainly enter into this too with the Indians' payroll being so low, and maybe sending Reyes back to the Padres as well.)

Edited by caulfield12

Just now, caulfield12 said:

https://www.spotrac.com/mlb/cleveland-guardians/jose-ramirez-14106/

Ramirez has two years of control remaining. 

They're going to ask for Abrams, but I think the package would be something like Gore, Weathers and one more piece, maybe Hassell.

You just love talking Padres baseball on a Sox message board. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

10 minutes ago, ChiSox59 said:

If someone else is going to bring it up first, would it be better to make no comment?

It's kind of fun to play along with the GM's and anticipate what they are thinking, and God knows the White Sox are unlikely to pull off any blockbuster trades for the next couple of seasons.

As a fantasy team owner, I also have to know everything possible about both leagues.

Edited by caulfield12

7 minutes ago, ChiSox59 said:

I don’t understand the fascination with the Padres. They have worse odds than the White Sox to win the World Series this season and their farm system is now average to below average. For all the praise they got for their rebuild and later trades, they’re basically in the same position as the White Sox today.

1 minute ago, JUSTgottaBELIEVE said:

I don’t understand the fascination with the Padres. They have worse odds than the White Sox to win the World Series this season and their farm system is now average to below average. For all the praise they got for their rebuild and later trades, they’re basically in the same position as the White Sox today.

Not really trying to take an opinion on this one way or another, but the Sox World Series odds would be a lot lower if they were in the same division as the Dodgers

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, caulfield12 said:

If someone else is going to bring it up first, would it be better to make no comment?

It's kind of fun to play along with the GM's and anticipate what they are thinking, and God knows the White Sox are unlikely to pull off any blockbuster trades for the next couple of seasons.

As a fantasy team owner, I also have to know everything possible about both leagues.

You talk about the Padres exclusively. Sometimes the Royals.

9 minutes ago, maxjusttyped said:

Not really trying to take an opinion on this one way or another, but the Sox World Series odds would be a lot lower if they were in the same division as the Dodgers

They’d be in line with where the Padres are at. Sox are +1200, Padres are +1900

3 minutes ago, caulfield12 said:

You can do that if they actually pull off the trade for Jose Ramirez (which would actually be celebrated, but then impact the Sox 3-4 years down the line again.)

I’m just messing with you.  But your perceived KC & SD love has been a pretty renowned board meme for as long as I’ve been around 😉

• Thanks 1

11 hours ago, Tnetennba said:

I’m just messing with you.  But your perceived KC & SD love has been a pretty renowned board meme for as long as I’ve been around 😉

It ranks up there with Ron ban bets and anti Abreu rhetoric, TA7 to catcher, Greg775 rants about concessions prices, numerous houses lost in bets, Lilian and left handed hitters, Balta/Ray Ray against the world and Applebees/Lawrence shared beers with Ozzie Guillen.  Fathom's Cubs obsession until 2016/2017.  VaFan eternal optimism. 

Edited by caulfield12
  • Haha 1

12 hours ago, Bob Sacamano said:

You talk about the Padres exclusively. Sometimes the Royals.

Probably because other teams had more eventful offseasons. 

I have written a lot about the Twins and Guardians as well. 

(And now we will talk about them a lot more today in light of the Ramirez extension...which might not have happened had we buried the rest of the division this offseason.) 

Edited by caulfield12

13 minutes ago, Harold's Leg Lift said:

Ramizez agent earned his commission on this one.  

Now Bieber has to be the next extension target,  as well as Rosario.  They already extended Clase this past week. 

I theorized about going in the direction of a total teardown last week, but then the direction of the division shifted in the last couple of weeks. 

They suddenly become the most interesting team in the division if they can keep Bieber because they actually have the deepest farm system vs. 2-3 headliners like Detroit and KC. 

They’ve currently got eight to ten players in their system who could end up as starting 2B or SS in the majors if one already includes Rosario and Gimenez.   They continue to murder the White Sox in Latin America despite inherent budget restrictions.

projections for 2023-24 starters

Bo Naylor catcher

Josh Naylor 1B/DH/OF  injured

Brayan Rocchio/Tyler Freeman/Owen Miller 2B   

Gabriel Arias/Carson Tucker/Aaron Bracho SS  

Jose Tena/Angel Martinez (utility) 

Jose Ramirez 3B

OF   George Valera, Nolan Jones (can also play 3B),  Ahmed Rosario

Quantrill, McKenzie, Daniel Espino, Gavin Williams, Ethan Hankins, Logan Allen, Tanner Burns

Clase

The Indians have a TON of infield prospects already (their #9 and #10 prospects are also infielders). Their biggest current and future weaknesses are the outfield and catching spots.

https://www.mlb.com/prospects/guardians/

Edited by caulfield12

6 minutes ago, EloyJenkins said:

Great deal for Cleveland...but also knowing their budget, they will rely on the prospects coming in more so than FA route. they are 2 years away from being a major threat, but glad to see them finally keep a star. 

NEXT season if their starting pitching holds up and they can quickly repair the bullpen.  Shaw might be #2 with Karinchak sidelined. 

And now all of the AL Central teams have given out bigger contracts than the White Sox. 

Finally, they might have dodged a bullet giving a massive contract to Lindor, which instead goes to Ramirez,  Bieber, Clase and perhaps Rosario.   Better allocation of limited resources, by far. 

• Like 1

• Quin locked this topic