Offseason Part 3 - Because Part 2 Was a Dud

CentralChamps21

1 minute ago, Quin said:

After trading Tatis, Semien, Bassitt, Montas, Narvaez and then role players the Sox would probably love to pencil in right now like Madrigal (w/e clubhouse issues aside), Pilkington, J.B. Wendelken, you'd think the Sox wouldn't want to trade possible future franchise players for risky panic bets (Montas' track record outside of last season), but people still be proposing them.

Did this "issues" ever really come to light beyond Madrigal just kind of being a weird dude?  

1 minute ago, Quin said:

All the ones that people allude to on here

I guess I must have missed these comments.  Only ones I have really seen are super general comments that he wasn't all that liked and that he was just a strange dude with an air of cockiness that may have rubbed some vets wrong.

Never saw anything I would actually deem true clubhouse issues.  

1 minute ago, ChiSox59 said:

I guess I must have missed these comments.  Only ones I have really seen are super general comments that he wasn't all that liked and that he was just a strange dude with an air of cockiness that may have rubbed some vets wrong.

Never saw anything I would actually deem true clubhouse issues.  

Did you block Harold or something?

24 minutes ago, Lillian said:

Any suggestions?

Chris Sale at the trade deadline?  I think Boston is going to regress this year, will be far behind Yankees, Rays and Jays by the all star game.  Sale will be out for two months with broken rib but he did pitch really well second half of last year.  Boston still owes him $100 million and it probably won't cost a lot in prospects if you take on most of his contract (3 more years at avg of $25mil).     He's a dominant lefty and probably has some fond memories of living in Chicago and Soxtalk.   Gotta say that playoff starting rotation of Gio-Lynn-Cease-Kopech and Sale would be fun.  

2 minutes ago, soxfan49 said:

iF iT wAs A gAmE tHaT mAtTeReD mOnCaDa WoUlD hAvE pLaYeD yEsTeRdAy

Must mean that Seby cleared waivers.  

Still have a chance to find a taker for Micker I guess, but sucks it took a DFA to find out. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, michelangelosmonkey said:

Chris Sale at the trade deadline?  I think Boston is going to regress this year, will be far behind Yankees, Rays and Jays by the all star game.  Sale will be out for two months with broken rib but he did pitch really well second half of last year.  Boston still owes him $100 million and it probably won't cost a lot in prospects if you take on most of his contract (3 more years at avg of $25mil).     He's a dominant lefty and probably has some fond memories of living in Chicago and Soxtalk.   Gotta say that playoff starting rotation of Gio-Lynn-Cease-Kopech and Sale would be fun.  

Do you think that ownership would be willing to take on that contract?

47 minutes ago, Lillian said:

Do you think that ownership would be willing to take on that contract?

I've written about this alot...two years ago I predicted we would be a top five payroll and was laughed at.   JR spends money when the team is good.  Picking up Sale contract the next few years is just replacing the money that we would be spending on Keuchel the last couple of years.   The question is does Sale age like Verlander or like Shields.  This broken rib thing is a bit worrisome especially after the TJS.  He's 33, a year younger than Kershaw...Kershaw just signed basically a one year contract for $20m...so you'd demand a fair bit of money back from the Bosox.  But paying half and sending a 20th ranked system prospect back?   I wouldn't mind that risk.  

1 hour ago, michelangelosmonkey said:

I've written about this alot...two years ago I predicted we would be a top five payroll and was laughed at.   JR spends money when the team is good.  Picking up Sale contract the next few years is just replacing the money that we would be spending on Keuchel the last couple of years.   The question is does Sale age like Verlander or like Shields.  This broken rib thing is a bit worrisome especially after the TJS.  He's 33, a year younger than Kershaw...Kershaw just signed basically a one year contract for $20m...so you'd demand a fair bit of money back from the Bosox.  But paying half and sending a 20th ranked system prospect back?   I wouldn't mind that risk.  

We are 7th or 8th right now?  

And there’s just no way they bring back Sale with the current front office in place.

Edited by caulfield12

4 minutes ago, caulfield12 said:

And there’s just no way they bring back Sale with the current front office in place.

Mate, they brought back Adam "Drake LaRoche is our Leader" Eaton

29 minutes ago, caulfield12 said:

So they have money to spend.  As for the absolutes?  I never said they are ABSOLUTELY bringing Sale back as you said they absolutely won't.  It was a thought experiment in response to "who might they bring in".  Then I laid out the fact that Boston pays half his salary.   It doesn't seem crazy.  In spite of all the Soxtalk hate...by most accounts Kenny and Jerry are kind and loyal to their employees.  I don't think Sale hated his time here and if he could come back and win a WS?     

• Quin locked this topic