Offseason Part 3 - Because Part 2 Was a Dud

CentralChamps21

1 minute ago, Squirmin' for Yermin said:

Meyers has 2/40 left on his deal (far worse than Kimbrel's)... Can we also be getting a prospect/player back as well? if he is it? hmmm

2 years. Just in time for the young ones to be ready

1 minute ago, Perfect Vision said:

It's going to be a fun time around here when the Sox trade Kimbrel for Myers straight up, and then the Padres turn around and sign Conforto.

Now that actually does start to make sense…since they were willing to throw a lot at Suzuki and aren’t 100% on their closing options.

SF also seems much likelier than Haniger or Bellinger.

2 minutes ago, Squirmin' for Yermin said:

Meyers has 2/40 left on his deal (far worse than Kimbrel's)... Can we also be getting a prospect/player back as well? if he is it? hmmm

Nah, 2023 is a club option, or 1m buyout, which would obviously be the move. I mean....it isn't the WORST trade we could do, but I hope it is someone else.

3 minutes ago, caulfield12 said:

Bellinger is not a bad contract when nobody would be that shocked by another MVP year.

Bellinger made $16M last year in arbitration, is due to make $17M this year, and has 1 year of arbitration left.

That's a fair amount of money for what he's done the last 2 years, but obviously you'd be hoping for a bounce back.  

I don't know if that counts as a bad contract but it's about what Kimbrel is making.  

SoxTalk simply cannot handle Myers for Kimbrel and Conforto signing with SD…

Unless they were going to send a Top Ten prospect or two back the other way, which everyone would immediately forecast failure for (thinking Campusano.)

Edited by caulfield12
  • Like 1

Bellinger was HORRIBLE last year. One of the worst players in baseball. It makes some sense that LA would look to swap his $16m for Kimbrel's. Their outfield is then likely Taylor/Betts/Pollock. From the Sox perspective, if Bellinger sucks again, he's arb eligible after this year so you just don't offer. If he's good, they can keep him until 2024.

This makes too much sense to me, so it cannot possibly be true.

1 minute ago, caulfield12 said:

SoxTalk simply cannot handle Myers for Kimbrel and Conforto signing with SD…

Unless they were going to send a Top Ten prospect or two back the other way, which everyone would immediately forecast failure for (thinking Campusano.)

Why would the Sox trade Kimbrel for Myers lol

2 minutes ago, bighurt574 said:

Bellinger made $16M last year in arbitration, is due to make $17M this year, and has 1 year of arbitration left.

That's a fair amount of money for what he's done the last 2 years, but obviously you'd be hoping for a bounce back.  

I don't know if that counts as a bad contract but it's about what Kimbrel is making.  

Bellingers 17m and upside >>>> Myers 22m.

• Love 1

12 minutes ago, Capn12 said:

Yep, I bet it is Wil Myers...oh lord....not the ideal replacement.

Oh, Upton is even worse....<insert puke emoji>

If it’s for Will Myers then I’m betting Chris Paddack is coming with him.  Not sure how I’d feel about that since Myers really doesn’t add to this roster at all.

5 minutes ago, Capn12 said:

Nah, 2023 is a club option, or 1m buyout, which would obviously be the move. I mean....it isn't the WORST trade we could do, but I hope it is someone else.

It's among the worst, but right in line with what they did at 2B. Forget the $1 million Kimbrel buyout, have him at $16 million, and trade him for a $21 million player projected to play to an under 1.0 fWAR.

• Like 1

Just now, Squirmin' for Yermin said:

That would be insanely great.  I know he was the prospect they wanted to mash up with a bad contract.

Since when our prospects in the Top 50 worth less than $10-15 million?

Even if they (White Sox) ate all of Myers’ and Kimbrels’ deals, that’s not worth Hassell.  We know that’s never going to happen.

What next, CJ Abrams, too?   That would solve second and require trading half our farm system.

11 minutes ago, Squirmin' for Yermin said:

See my last post…would almost certainly be getting prospects or a young starting pitcher like Paddack.  Only ways it makes any sense.

• Quin locked this topic