Offseason Part 3 - Because Part 2 Was a Dud

CentralChamps21

1 minute ago, fathom said:

Sure, but I’m also sure they wont

Getting Kimbrel off the books and then using that money to offer Conforto something in the 5/100 range *should* be a win for everyone. He gets a great contract, the Sox get a good player at a massive position of need, it barely increases next seasons payroll, etc

yet do any of us think it's actually going to happen?

1 minute ago, chw42 said:

I'm looking at the Dodgers subreddit and it seems like they're fine with closing by committee. Not one mention of trading for Kimbrel or signing another reliever. 

If you were to merge the Sox and Dodgers bullpens as they currently stand, like 6 of the 8 pitchers would be White Sox. And yet, the Dodgers will still have an awesome bullpen and win a ridiculous number of games. The Astros build their team the same way.

Prioritizing the bullpen above all else when you aren't a team with unlimited resources will never, ever make sense to me.

3 minutes ago, chw42 said:

I'm looking at the Dodgers subreddit and it seems like they're fine with closing by committee. Not one mention of trading for Kimbrel or signing another reliever. 

Morosi didn’t mention them trading for a closer tonight 

1 minute ago, maxjusttyped said:

Getting Kimbrel off the books and then using that money to offer Conforto something in the 5/100 range *should* be a win for everyone. He gets a great contract, the Sox get a good player at a massive position of need, it barely increases next seasons payroll, etc

It’s absolutely what they should do.  But we all know they won’t. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, maxjusttyped said:

I think they’re scared to death of tying up too much payroll for 2024 and going forward, as they want to extend some of the main guys 

Just now, fathom said:

I think they’re scared to death of tying up too much payroll for 2024 and going forward, as they want to extend some of the main guys 

This is probably the biggest reason they don't want to go 4 years with Conforto. 

2 minutes ago, fathom said:

Yet they don’t believe in opt outs.  They are baffling sometimes. 

Just now, CWSpalehoseCWS said:

If the Padres sign Soler, I have a terrible feeling that the Sox will end up with Myers for RF in a Kimbrel trade. Soler currently does not fit on that Padres roster.

Then why would they sign Soler? lol

3 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

There’s the death blow

'He's gonna be a star hitter' + 'he's not a bad fielder'? He here.

Look on the bright side — we've got a 130 wRC+ lefty. His name is Gavin Sheets, son of Larry. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, chw42 said:

This is probably the biggest reason they don't want to go 4 years with Conforto. 

I know this was a long time ago, but Hahn signed David Robertson to a 4 year deal that was the biggest ever for a reliever. Hendriks, again, broke the AAV record for a reliever when he signed a 3+1 deal with the Sox. How are either of those contracts less risky than giving a 4th or even a 5th year to Conforto?

I know the money is dramatically different, but Kendall Graveman has thrown 56 good innings in his career. And those came in a year where he out pitched his peripherals by ~1.5 runs. They gave him 3 years. Isn't that risky?

• Like 1

Just now, YouCanPutItOnTheBoardYES! said:

That doesn’t make all that much sense to me as Giolito is really the only young player that will command significant dollars to keep.

Everybody else goes up though. 

With reasonable guesses for arb and options, I eyeballed the White Sox payroll next year at $170 million +. A lot of that is guaranteed thanks to the bullpen additions…and that’s without Abreu.

1 minute ago, maxjusttyped said:

I know this was a long time ago, but Hahn signed David Robertson to a 4 year deal that was the biggest ever for a reliever. Hendriks, again, broke the AAV record for a reliever when he signed a 3+1 deal with the Sox. How are either of those contracts less risky than giving a 4th or even a 5th year to Conforto?

I know the money is dramatically different, but Kendall Graveman has thrown 56 good innings in his career. And those came in a year where he out pitched his peripherals by ~1.5 runs. They gave him 3 years. Isn't that risky?

Seems like they truly believe relievers will be more valuable than ever this year 

• Quin locked this topic