Offseason Part 3 - Because Part 2 Was a Dud

CentralChamps21

1 minute ago, chw42 said:

Question is...why didn't the Astros or any other team do this? This deal makes no sense from Correa's standpoint. 

I don’t get it - I would have thought he could have gotten a 6yr deal with an opt out at year 2 or 3…with at least double the guaranteed money. This can’t be true cause it makes no sense. 

1 minute ago, chw42 said:

Question is...why didn't the Astros or any other team do this? This deal makes no sense from Correa's standpoint. 

With opt outs every year he can always leave if he gets a long term offer.

Obviously,  no one offered a long term deal to their liking. 

1 minute ago, Chisoxfn said:

I don’t get it - I would have thought he could have gotten a 6yr deal with an opt out at year 2 or 3…with at least double the guaranteed money. This can’t be true cause it makes no sense. 

It’s true

1 minute ago, ptatc said:

With opt outs every year he can always leave if he gets a long term offer.

Obviously,  no one offered a long term deal to their liking. 

Correa is coming off one of his best years. If he's not getting the bag now, I don't know if he's gonna get the bag in the coming years. 

41 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

To me, the Sox outlined what their strategic priorities were for this offseason and there’s one blatantly obvious need still unaddressed.  Conforto has always been the best fit for what the Sox need and his price should be right in our wheelhouse.  I get there are long-term payroll factors that must be considered, but signing this dude just makes too much sense from a logic standpoint.  For now, I remain optimistic that Hahn wouldn’t spend all this money on relievers & utility men if it prevented him from acquiring the left-handed power bat he said he wanted earlier this offseason.

Didn't he also say they wanted Starting pitching. Probably not going to get both.

4 minutes ago, maxjusttyped said:

One of the other AL Central teams will be frisky and sneak into the 90 win range. Right now, my guess for that would be the Twins.

FG has the Twins at 79.4 wins before this. Correa is worth 5 wins alone. That puts them at 84ish wins. If they go and get Montas, the Central tightens up quite a bit. 

Edited by chw42
  • Like 1

Just now, chw42 said:

Correa is coming off one of his best years. If he's not getting the bag now, I don't know if he's gonna get the bag in the coming years. 

He probably wanted the Yankees and they decided to wait, so he is going to give it another shot next offseason. If he has a down year, then he opts back in for another $35M season and tries for a good team again. He gets 2 more bites at the apple and if he struggles he gets a $35M/year cushion. This seems like a good deal for him to me.

Just now, chw42 said:

FG has the Twins at 79.4 wins before this. Correa is worth 5 wins alone. That puts them at 84ish wins. If they and get Montas, the Central tightens up quite a bit. 

Call me when they have a 60 million dollar bullpen 

• Haha 4

Just now, chw42 said:

FG has the Twins at 79.4 wins before this. Correa is worth 5 wins alone. That puts them at 84ish wins. If they and get Montas, the Central tightens up quite a bit. 

Good.

The Sox coasting to a division championship is not beneficial. Plus, hopefully this forces us to make a big move now.

Just now, BigHurt3515 said:

I mean the Twins rotation is stoll garbage, right?

So is their bullpen. But at this point, who the hell knows? They have 2 superstars up the middle now in Buxton and Correa, provided Buxton actually stays healthy. 

1 minute ago, KBX said:

If Correa only gets 3 years, and Conforto is 2/3 the player Correa is...

It's 3 years with 2 opt outs and the highest AAV ever for an infielder. Not really fair to describe this as a traditional 3 year deal.

It's split 50/50 here whether people on here would have preferred Castellanos or Conforto and he just signed for 5.

51 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

Kimbrel is paid market rate more or less whereas Myers is an albatross.  I don’t see how that makes any sense for us without a massive second piece coming back from the Padres.

The difference is the Padres don’t mind having him on the roster all season.

The White Sox have more pressure to get rid of Kimbrel…as he’s arguably going to be unhappy in a set-up role, all puff pieces to the contrary.

And coming out of the 2020 season, Myers was on of their best players.  Hosmer is more of an issue.

With Soler, they have three starters and Hassell.  Profar as utility.

As it stands now, Profar has to play nearly every day.  Don’t forget they already dealt Frazier when he wasn’t a good fit.

6 minutes ago, chw42 said:

Fuck, I honestly think this signing has a team actually threatening us in the division. It's one thing if they got Story, but Correa is on another level. 

Good keep Hahn and Jerry on their toes instead of piddle dicking around

1 minute ago, fathom said:

I will be shocked if they don’t make a trade for another. It’s not a good bullpen but that lineup looks strong.

I'm not a Royce Lewis fan but I'm sure he could headline a package for a decent starter

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, ChiliIrishHammock24 said:

He probably wanted the Yankees and they decided to wait, so he is going to give it another shot next offseason. If he has a down year, then he opts back in for another $35M season and tries for a good team again. He gets 2 more bites at the apple and if he struggles he gets a $35M/year cushion. This seems like a good deal for him to me.

What's hilarious is that the Twins dumped Donaldson on the Yankees and then got the guy they probably wanted all along with the payroll flexibility. It's the one time the Twins have beaten the Yankees at something. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

• Quin locked this topic