Offseason Part 3 - Because Part 2 Was a Dud

CentralChamps21

Just now, fathom said:

I bet they get Montas

I think this signals they go all-in. And I sure as hell hope this lights a fire under the FO to improve this team cause we ain't gonna coast to a easy playoff spot. 

• Like 1

At least the talent movement has been pretty diffuse, lots of mediocre teams signing guys. Correa going to our division helps in two ways. It puts pressure on the Sox, and it makes Houston noticeably worse. For a bad offseason this has been okay in some ways.

• Like 2

Just now, fathom said:

The rare acquisition that causes the fan base of both Chicago teams to melt down 

Honestly, if I was a fan of a team after Correa and saw him get that deal, I'd be furious. If the fucking Twins can afford it, you gotta ask why the Cubs and Astros couldn't. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, fathom said:

I bet they get Montas

That's my hunch. And maybe it's just the initial shock of the move, but a Montas-Gray-Ryan top 3 is probably good enough to get a lineup with Correa, Buxton, Polanco, Urshela, Sanchez, Kiriloff, and Kepler into the (expanded) playoffs

Getting a 5 WAR player like Correa on what is basically a 1 year deal at $35 million is market rate. Yes, it's expensive, but would you rather have a 27 year old at $35 million a year or would you rather give that 27 year old a 10 year $30 million/year deal and watch him suck it up in the last 5 years of it? 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Just now, ChiliIrishHammock24 said:

With an opt out after each year for Correa, there is no chance to count on him staying for 3 years unless he's bad.

Or injured, which he has a history of. 

7 minutes ago, fathom said:

The rare acquisition that causes the fan base of both Chicago teams to melt down 

Are you guys mad about this? Why?

Twins aren't good and this keeps him away from playoff opponents like the Astros and Yankees. This is good news for the Sox, especially if it makes them pony up for Conforto now. 🤷

• Like 3

Just now, HOFHurt35 said:

One season at $35 million and lose a draft pick?

The Twins were never gonna get a player of his caliber for the long-term cause they were never gonna be able to give him the 10 year $300 million+ deal he wanted. This is probably the only way they get a player of Correa's caliber. And it carries minimal risk for them cause it's only $100 million guaranteed. Unless something tragic happens to him, he'll probably opt out after the 1st year. 

4 minutes ago, chw42 said:

Getting a 5 WAR player like Correa on what is basically a 1 year deal at $35 million is market rate. Yes, it's expensive, but would you rather have a 27 year old at $35 million a year or would you rather give that 27 year old a 10 year $30 million/year deal and watch him suck it up in the last 5 years of it? 

See Mauer, Joe.

If we go back to that Heyman tweet about the Twins being interested in Conforto, that was definitely an effort by Boras to up the Sox offer cause he knew that the Twins were getting Correa. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, chw42 said:

The Twins were never gonna get a player of his caliber for the long-term cause they were never gonna be able to give him the 10 year $300 million+ deal he wanted. This is probably the only way they get a player of Correa's caliber. And it carries minimal risk for them cause it's only $100 million guaranteed. Unless something tragic happens to him, he'll probably opt out after the 1st year. 

It's the equivalent of me renting a Bentley for the weekend and living in my Mom's basement.

The Twins aren't going anywhere in 2022, let's stop pretending.

There’s no way the White Sox are keeping Gio, Cease or Anderson.

Put all the chips in for the next 2-3 seasons.

They desperately need another pitcher, or to get someone to pay 2/3rds of Keuchel’s deal and reallocate that money.

Buxton

Arraez

Correa

Polanco

Sano

Kepler

G. Sanchez

Kiriloff

Urshela

Also have Larnach and Rooker…

• Quin locked this topic