Offseason Part 3 - Because Part 2 Was a Dud

CentralChamps21

1 minute ago, fathom said:

One of the smarter twitter accounts a few days ago suggested Boras would scheme this to where Conforto was the last man standing 

Well, Conforto and Story are very similar in that they are both coming off down seasons. And now they're the last 2 big free agents left. 

2 minutes ago, chw42 said:

Does Conforto have any relatives we can trade for? 

He’s nicknamed Scooter, so maybe we bring back Scott Fletcher as an infield/outfield coach???  Or have Konerko do some recruiting down in AZ.  It probably won’t be Nick Madrigal, another Oregon State alum, or their former manager.

“His mother, Tracie Conforto (née Ruiz) is a three-time Olympic medalist in synchronized swimming,[40] and his father, Mike, an Italian American,[41] played inside linebacker at Penn State.[42] His sister, Jacqueline, played soccer at Azusa Pacific University.[8]

Conforto resides in Scottsdale, Arizona during the offseason.[43][44] He is represented by Scott Boras.[45]

5 minutes ago, fathom said:

I think Boston gets Story.  Texas seems like a real threat.

I can't buy Boston going into this year with either JBJ Jr or Duran in the strong side of a platoon. Those guys were 2 of the worst hitters in baseball last year. Signing one of Story or Conforto and then trading for a player to fill the other need might make the most sense for them.

1 hour ago, chw42 said:

Wasn't Robles absolutely awful with Boston last year? 

Really good actually.  0 ERA with 3 or 4 saves in September/October 

50 minutes ago, maxjusttyped said:

Chase Petty was drafted 4 picks after Colson Montgomery and the Twins flipped him for 1 year of Sonny Gray. I wonder if the A's would be interested in a trade with Montgomery as the headliner to land Manaea or Montas.

We aren't trading Colson for a rental, riot in the streets if they do 

9 minutes ago, maxjusttyped said:

I can't buy Boston going into this year with either JBJ Jr or Duran in the strong side of a platoon. Those guys were 2 of the worst hitters in baseball last year. Signing one of Story or Conforto and then trading for a player to fill the other need might make the most sense for them.

Story makes more sense than Conforto for them. I don't think they traded Renfroe for JBJ just to sit him. 

4 minutes ago, chw42 said:

Story makes more sense than Conforto for them. I don't think they traded Renfroe for JBJ just to sit him. 

It's a fair point, you're probably right. I just can't get over how putrid JBJ was at the plate last season. Guys just don't have .163/.236/.261 slash lines (35 wRC+!!!) and when they do, they're out of baseball like 1 year later. I think he's completely cooked, but if Boston was willing to trade for him in the first place they must feel differently.

1 minute ago, maxjusttyped said:

It's a fair point, you're probably right. I just can't get over how putrid JBJ was at the plate last season. Guys just don't have .163/.236/.261 slash lines (35 wRC+!!!) and when they do, they're out of baseball like 1 year later. I think he's completely cooked, but if Boston was willing to trade for him in the first place they must feel differently.

Probably cause Renfroe wasn't very good defensively last year and they wanted to get better there. RF is hard to play at Fenway. 

So Correa got 3 years @ 105.3 mil. Opt outs after first 2 years.

It's interesting. Sox fans have been dying for an impact signing since this rebuild has taken shape. There's been a couple nice minor impact signings like Grandal or Hendriks. But nothing even close to the Twinkies signing Carlos Correa.

I'm going to say right now - if the Sox don't sign Conforto, then they deserve the scorn and backlash that will be coming their way from the fanbase. Enough of this utility infielder and relief pitcher bs. Go Sox!

Edited by Sarava
  • Fire 1

https://www.ajc.com/sports/atlanta-braves/braves-sign-former-dodgers-closer-kenley-jansen/JU4Q5TBM6BEMXJ7IUFPZ7R26NM/

Braves and White Sox share a lot in common, both went after closers despite already having one on their roster (see Dodgers and Rays).

The plan is for Jansen to be the club’s closer and for Will Smith to be another high-leverage reliever who could earn saves here and there.

“Bullpen depth during the season is exceptionally important,” Anthopoulos said. “You play 20 games in a row and so on, and you can’t pitch guys every night. We were successful in the postseason because we had days off, but it’s different during the season to get there.”

Edited by caulfield12

5 hours ago, caulfield12 said:

The difference is the Padres don’t mind having him on the roster all season.

The White Sox have more pressure to get rid of Kimbrel…as he’s arguably going to be unhappy in a set-up role, all puff pieces to the contrary.

And coming out of the 2020 season, Myers was on of their best players.  Hosmer is more of an issue.

With Soler, they have three starters and Hassell.  Profar as utility.

As it stands now, Profar has to play nearly every day.  Don’t forget they already dealt Frazier when he wasn’t a good fit.

What are you talking about?  The Padres have been looking for ways to dump Myers by attaching a prospect to his contract.  Sox may be desperate to move Kimbrel, but worse case scenario we should be able unload all or most of his contract for nothing.  They do not need to take on a horrible deal to do so.

5 hours ago, maxjusttyped said:

Chase Petty was drafted 4 picks after Colson Montgomery and the Twins flipped him for 1 year of Sonny Gray. I wonder if the A's would be interested in a trade with Montgomery as the headliner to land Manaea or Montas.

Two years of Sonny Gray…he has a team option for 2023.

19 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

What are you talking about?  The Padres have been looking for ways to dump Myers by attaching a prospect to his contract.  Sox may be desperate to move Kimbrel, but worse case scenario we should be able unload all or most of his contract for nothing.  They do not need to take on a horrible deal to do so.

We will see.  If they don't get the deal they want, they will just carry him into the season.  That said, Preller is now under real pressure in a way Hahn never has been...and is feeling the sting of missing out on Suzuki in particular.  They also have sold a ton of season tickets, have a new manager in Melvin (GMs rarely get to fire three guys) and all the ramifications of the Tatis injury.

Really incredible how the Sox faced head on what it would take to compete with the big boys and then signed the same shit, ignored a free draft pick, and played chicken and lost with Kimbrel.

Inspiring stuff!

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, bmags said:

Really incredible how the Sox faced head on what it would take to compete with the big boys and then signed the same shit, ignored a free draft pick, and played chicken and lost with Kimbrel.

Inspiring stuff!

"As I wrote in December, White Sox GM Rick Hahn spoke openly about trading Kimbrel, saying, “We’ve had conversations with other clubs and have a sense of what is potentially available.” Hahn added, “It’s easy to make the assessment that if you put him back in the closer’s role, it’s what he’s accustomed to and he’s more likely to have success.” I don’t find that to be a particularly reliable assessment: put Kimbrel back in a closer role, and he’ll be good again.  That didn’t prove true for the Cubs in 2019 or 2020.

I think the White Sox would very much like to trade Kimbrel, but they may have overestimated his popularity in the market at his salary.  Perhaps they’ll need to kick in a few million or take a decent-sized contract back to make it more palatable.  I’m not sure if an intra-division trade could be worked out, but the Royals have spoken of trying to upgrade their bullpen.  The Rays, Rangers, Blue Jays, Marlins, Mets, and Phillies could make some sense, but only if the money can be worked out and if the White Sox finds a team that actually believes Kimbrel will succeed in ’22."

https://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2022/02/14-mlb-trade-candidates-after-lockout.html

One thing, if we DO add Manaea or Montas, we might as well double down by adding Lou Trivino to replace Kimbrel, assuming he can still be jettisoned.

We almost have to do something before the Twins add them with their much deeper farm system.

Edited by caulfield12

• Quin locked this topic