Offseason Part 3 - Because Part 2 Was a Dud

CentralChamps21

44 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

I honestly have no idea what you’re talking about here.  The Sox botched the Machado process and lost out on Wheeler despite being the highest bidder.  No White Sox “insider” claimed either guy was getting paid too much.  In fact, guys like James & raBBit have ripped the Sox endlessly for their failures.  I can’t think of any other free agent in recent years that we seriously pursued that we missed out on.  Your take here is not based in reality.

What do you consider seriously pursued? 

Sox haven't been legit linked to conforto, so would you say they didn't seriously pursue him if they lose out on him?

Most of your point is pretty subjective imo.

35 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

Dude, he said it was a fair opening offer.  When Boras is probably asking for 6/$150M, you don’t come out with your best possible offer.  This is negotiating 101.

If the guy is asking for 6/150 and you offer 4/76 then hear no and apparently decide to go in a different direction and sign a bunch of utility guys and relievers instead thats not only not a fair offer, but its not a serious one.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Dick Allen said:

If the White Sox bullpen doesn’t perform like KCs in the mid 2010s, considering how much they have spent on it, RH and KW should resign, admitting the game has passed them by.

Why would they resign when they are not the ones who value relievers like gold and they're not the ones calling the shots on how the pie gets divided? 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

When Ray tells us we are allowed to since apparently Soxtalk has to vet their information through him first.

When have I ever told anyone what to post, or attacked them for it? I get it, the old boys club gets offended at sox talk when any "insider" is questioned. I can say something is BS if I chose to. 

The concept of insider in professional sports has always made me laugh honestly. Break one story in 10 years and then speculate on 1000 that never come true and somehow that authority should never be questioned, and certainly shouldn't be disagreed with at soxtalk. Otherwise everyone gets very defensive.

I have my opinions same as you. Difference between me and you is I won't run to gang up on people because they disagree with me. I couldn't care less who posts what. I have my thoughts and opinions and I'm not here to beg someone to sprinkle some very pointless speculation for me to consume. I look at what's happened, not the fake what could have happened stories. Unlike you I don't delete posts that disagree with me or deem rude, and I don't threaten posters to post how I want or else.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Love 1

27 minutes ago, ptatc said:

Calling him a mouthpiece for the organization implies he just puts out what the organization tells him to without vetting the information.

Being used as a mouth piece does not mean what you are implying at all. It means you're being used to push a narrative (knowingly or not.)

Most everyone who leaks baseball free agent rumors are by definition being used as a mouthpiece for something or someone. Don't like it? Then don't leak supposed contract offers during free agency.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

What do you consider seriously pursued? 

Sox haven't been legit linked to conforto, so would you say they didn't seriously pursue him if they lose out on him?

Most of your point is pretty subjective imo.

I’m talking about guys that we know we seriously pursued but didn’t land.  That list is basically Machado & Wheeler.  Our fanbase destroyed the shit out of the organization for the Machado fiasco and continues to rip them to this day with “seat at the table” puns.  As for Wheeler, we made the biggest offer.  Sucks he wanted to be in Philly, but we can’t really blame the Sox for not negotiating against themselves.  And not one person came out and said Wheeler is overpaid in defense of the Sox.  Hell, he’d be the steal of the century right now and we probably wouldn’t be dealing with the Keuchel mess we currently have.

Regarding Conforto, we don’t even know where things stand other than it sounds like we made an offer before the lockout.  I still believe we’re negotiating with him and that Hahn’s first call post lock-out was to Boras, but that’s simply speculation.  Ultimately, we can’t jump to conclusions until Conforto signs with a team and we see what else the Sox have in store.  But I don’t agree the Sox leaked anything about Conforto to appease fans, as there would be nothing to gain from a token bid, especially when his market is suppressed and he should be very attainable.

13 minutes ago, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

If the guy is asking for 6/150 and you offer 4/76 then hear no and apparently decide to go in a different direction and sign a bunch of utility guys and relievers instead thats not only not a fair offer, but its not a serious one.

We don’t know that they’ve done that yet.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, SoCalChiSox said:

Why would they resign when they are not the ones who value relievers like gold and they're not the ones calling the shots on how the pie gets divided? 

Hmmmmmm isn't JR the one delivering the pie and sharing out the dividing thereof among RH, TLR and KW? We haven't heard much from KW in awhile though and there is reason to believe that he's losing at least some of his juice in the org. That, not to say that JR is giving up his 'dividing' prerogative, but he's aging and delegating more of the operational game to his management team.

3 minutes ago, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

Being used as a mouth piece does not mean what you are implying at all. It means you're being used to push a narrative (knowingly or not.)

Most everyone who leaks baseball free agent rumors are by definition being used as a mouthpiece for something or someone. Don't like it? Then don't leak supposed contract offers during free agency.

Oh I won’t do it anymore. You can trust me on that. 

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

I’m talking about guys that we know we seriously pursued but didn’t land.  That list is basically Machado & Wheeler.  Our fanbase destroyed the shit out of the organization for the Machado fiasco and continues to rip them to this day with “seat at the table” puns.  As for Wheeler, we made the biggest offer.  Sucks he wanted to be in Philly, but we can’t really blame the Sox for not negotiating against themselves.  And not one person came out and said Wheeler is overpaid in defense of the Sox.  Hell, he’d be the steal of the century right now and we probably wouldn’t be dealing with the Keuchel mess we currently have.

Regarding Conforto, we don’t even know where things stand other than it sounds like we made an offer before the lockout.  I still believe we’re negotiating with him and that Hahn’s first call post lock-out was to Boras, but that’s simply speculation.  Ultimately, we can’t jump to conclusions until Conforto signs with a team and we see what else the Sox have in store.  But I don’t agree the Sox leaked anything about Conforto to appease fans, as there would be nothing to gain from a token bid, especially when his market is suppressed and he should be very attainable.

What concerns me is the Sox don't seem to win these negotiations that drag on. Maybe you could say Hendriks. But Grandal was a quick strike signing. Hopefully they surprise me.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Y2Jimmy0 said:

Some of us appreciate your info, don't quit telling us what you're hearing just because Ray Ray is disgruntled. 

Edited by Jack Parkman
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

5 minutes ago, Y2Jimmy0 said:

Meh….don’t let some grumpy individual ruin what you do. I think I speak for 99 percent of people here when I say we appreciate your insight. Keep doing you bro! 

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, Y2Jimmy0 said:

I'll note that a part of the amazing privilege of having speculatory contract offerings leaked on soxtalk is that no one can question your overall point or call into question the purpose of that information reaching you.

I'm sorry it was so hard for you to read someone on a forum disagree with you or question the purpose of the information. I hope you can recover from that hardship. 

Edit: looks like you got the overwhelming attention you were seeking with this post so I hope that makes up for your pain and suffering.

Edited by Look at Ray Ray Run

Just now, Sarava said:

What concerns me is the Sox don't seem to win these negotiations that drag on. Maybe you could say Hendriks. But Grandal was a quick strike signing. Hopefully they surprise me.

True and it makes me nervous as well.  That being said, Conforto is not as attractive of an asset as Machado was.  He’s coming off a rough season with a draft pick attached to him.  Boras is going to push for him to be paid like he’s coming off his 2020 season or receive opt-outs that let him quickly test free agency again.  I personally think his market is limited enough that Boras will eventually have to cave to some extent.  Doesn’t mean the Sox will land him, but I think we got a halfway decent shot assuming we haven’t repurposed funds already.

8 minutes ago, Jack Parkman said:

Some of us appreciate your info, don't quit telling us what you're hearing just because Ray Ray is disgruntled. 

The irony of this is you liked the post that literally set jimmy off on the "go fuck yourself" tantrum and now somehow I'm disgruntled for asking why he overreacted. Jack, you crack me up. 

Edited by Look at Ray Ray Run

4 minutes ago, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

I'll note that a part of the amazing privilege of having speculatory contract offerings leaked on soxtalk is that no one can question your overall point or call into question the purpose of that information reaching you.

I'm sorry it was so hard for you to read someone on a forum disagree with you or question the purpose of the information. I hope you can recover from that hardship. 

Edit: looks like you got the overwhelming attention you were seeking with this post so I hope that makes up for your pain and suffering.

Come on man....James is a great dude and I promise you he doesn’t mention rumors for attention. If he did, he would have mentioned weeks ago about the Conforto offer he heard about.  There have been plenty of things he’s been made aware about that he hasn’t posted on the site.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2
  • Fire 2

5 minutes ago, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

The irony of this is you liked the post that literally set jimmy off on the "go fuck yourself" tantrum and now somehow I'm disgruntled for asking why he overreacted. Jack, you crack me up. 

I liked it because what you said below that was accurate. 

I didn't even read the top line. 

• Haha 1

8 minutes ago, fathom said:

Come on man....James is a great dude and I promise you he doesn’t mention rumors for attention. If he did, he would have mentioned weeks ago about the Conforto offer he heard about.  There have been plenty of things he’s been made aware about that he hasn’t posted on the site.

Nothing I said about James in my initial post that led to his outburst was out of line; i literally mentioned him in passing as an example because he was the most recent example. The post and details were partly a joke on how the front office operates. He threw a tantrum about it, end of story. Beautiful day out, will go enjoy it as it seems sensitivity on soxtalk is at an all time high.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

Nothing I said about James in my initial post that led to his outburst was out of line; i literally mentioned him in passing as an example because he was the most recent example. The post and details were partly a joke on how the front office operates. He threw a tantrum about it, end of story. Beautiful day out, will go enjoy it as it seems sensitivity on soxtalk is at an all time high.

Nobody other than you understood that.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

• Quin locked this topic