Offseason Part 3 - Because Part 2 Was a Dud

CentralChamps21

1 minute ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

If Hahn can actually get something would be a big shock to most of us.

I think I'm warming to the idea of keeping him.  We will definitely need him and the extra bullpen depth as most pitchers will not go more than 4 or 5 innings for the first month or more.  

3 minutes ago, HOFHurt35 said:

Question for the Conforto camp 

Pick one

a) Sign Conforto to a 4-5 deal right now 

or 

b) The Sox sign either Lucas Giollito or Tim Anderson to long term deal before the start of this season

You can only pick one for this scenario. 

A. Worry about extending the other 2 when their current deals are up and when Abreu is possibly gone (if anything, at least making less money), Yaz money off the books, relievers we signed gone, Keuchel gone, etc.

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, Squirmin' for Yermin said:

Mets don't make sense (no room and NY COVID policy)

TOR doesn't make sense (COVID policy + can't play in NY)

Giants just signed Joc, which would make no sense.

Down to CHW and TEX

Don't tell @Polar Bear! Dude's got a 50% chance of eating the biggest crow sandwich on earth! 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, Polar Bear said:

I think I'm warming to the idea of keeping him.  We will definitely need him and the extra bullpen depth as most pitchers will not go more than 4 or 5 innings for the first month or more.  

I feel like he hasn’t been moved yet because they are waiting on a decision from Conforto. Sign Conforto, then deal Kimbrel. If no Conforto, then keep Kimbrel.

Not saying I agree as I want him gone but maybe this is possible?

6 minutes ago, HOFHurt35 said:

Question for the Conforto camp 

Pick one

a) Sign Conforto to a 4-5 deal right now 

or 

b) The Sox sign either Lucas Giollito or Tim Anderson to long term deal before the start of this season

You can only pick one for this scenario. 

A.  Worry about Giolito in 2 years and TA in 3 years.  

• Like 4

Just now, ChiSox59 said:
18 minutes ago, Squirmin' for Yermin said:

Mets don't make sense (no room and NY COVID policy)

TOR doesn't make sense (COVID policy + can't play in NY)

Giants just signed Joc, which would make no sense.

Down to CHW and TEX

Don't tell @Polar Bear! Dude's got a 50% chance of eating the biggest crow sandwich on earth!

Id agree, without him getting vaccinated that's pretty much the market, maybe another team or two is in the mix but that does seem about the entirety of it 

Just now, Polar Bear said:

Id agree, without him getting vaccinated that's pretty much the market, maybe another team or two is in the mix but that does seem about the entirety of it 

Yet you've been assuring all of us 50x a day Conforto has 0% chance of signing with the Sox.  Interesting.  

• Haha 2

2 minutes ago, HOFHurt35 said:

It wouldn't be a worry at that point, we know 100% the minute they test Free Agency they are long gone. 

That's the point I was trying to make. 

Gio is gone in 2 years.  He isn't taking an extension unless its an overpay.  TA we have plenty of time to figure out, but realistically, he's probably gone too.  Just hard for me to get too worked up about the 2025 season right now.  Sox best window is closed by then and they'll be fully in re-tool mode. 

Edited by ChiSox59
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, HOFHurt35 said:

It wouldn't be a worry at that point, we know 100% the minute they test Free Agency they are long gone. 

That's the point I was trying to make. 

TA will be a free agent at 32/33. Not crazy they keep him for an addition 3-4 years after to stay at SS or slide over to 2B eventually.

2 minutes ago, ChiSox59 said:

Yet you've been assuring all of us 50x a day Conforto has 0% chance of signing with the Sox.  Interesting.  

I have, not at the $22-25 million price that you and everyone else wants us to spend on him.  

I've said multiple times we should and could sign him if its a much smaller contract 

More years than $15-17M

1-2 years max $20M

No way in hell will we give him a $100M + contract 

• Haha 1

11 minutes ago, Polar Bear said:

He can't play in NY unless he gets vaccinated as well. 

I know. I live in Brooklyn.

But there's a pretty strong probability that it gets dropped by October - but that could take a while, since Adams recently fired city workers for not being vaccinated. Toronto is a whole other situation because international restrictions probably won't get dropped unless COVID gets magically eliminated worldwide in the next few months.

5 minutes ago, Polar Bear said:

I have, not at the $22-25 million price that you and everyone else wants us to spend on him.  

I've said multiple times we should and could sign him if its a much smaller contract 

More years than $15-17M

1-2 years max $20M

No way in hell will we give him a $100M + contract 

I have never once said I want to pay him $22-25M.  I think 4/$80M gets it done at this point. 

You had previously said you wouldn't give him more than $13M AAV which is comical. 

• Thanks 2

3 minutes ago, ChiSox59 said:

I have never once said I want to pay him $22-25M.  I think 4/$80M gets it done at this point. 

You had previously said you wouldn't give him more than $13M AAV which is comical. 

21 hours ago, Polar Bear said:

4 years at $15M is digestible, anything more is way too much imo.  

🤣

• Haha 1

Just now, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

Didn't you say a few times that 5/110 was reasonable ? That's $22M per year.

Me? No.  I've said I'd stretch to 5/$100M to get it done. I much prefer 4/$80Mish tho and clearly the Sox do as well.  

Its not my $ tho.  Its not like I am going to be mad if they signed him to $5/$110M.  $2M AAV is nothing. 

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Polar Bear said:

🤣

You and Jerry gonna go out to some nice dinners when he saves that 5 million you won't budge on? I never understood why fans care if a FA is perceived to be overpaid. 

Conforto will be more entertaining to watch and better for the roster than what they have now. The 5 million isn't going to show up in your mailbox via an invoice stamped with past due. What do you care?

and for those who say "well it might hurt the budget or their chance of signing a big free agent down the line." How about we get that first ever big free agent signing out the way before we start worrying about future ones.

Edited by Look at Ray Ray Run
  • Like 3

46 minutes ago, GreatScott82 said:

The defense in the corners of the OF will be brutal. 😠

Yep.  If you are in the "the offense is already stout" club, which is fine, don't you want one more capable defensive outfielder on top of Engel and Robert?   

47 minutes ago, GreatScott82 said:

The catching defense will be bad 

Felt like this was mentioned daily in November.  We've lost the script.  

2 minutes ago, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

You and Jerry gonna go out to some nice dinners when he saves that 5 million you won't budge on? I never understood why fans care if a FA is perceived to be overpaid. 

Conforto will be more entertaining to watch and better for the roster than what they have now. The 5 million isn't going to show up in your mailbox via an invoice stamped with past due. What do you care?

Bc I'm practical and look at things as if I'm running the team.  Say you over pay by $5M per year and give him the 5 years. What happens if he is a complete dud....

You then are stuck with a highly overpaid crappy OF that you cannot trade or get rid of.  Think the Cubs with Hayward.  That means he will be our RF (playing like shit) for 5 years, no matter how good any prospects in the system now or traded for are playing.  

Now if you saved that $25M, his contract could be more palatable to trade for or we could use that money to pay some of it to get something better in a deal.  

If he however is great than his value would be increased if he were traded, if he were not to be traded than that opens up the extra money to spend on other positional needs to build a really good team 

• Quin locked this topic