RIP Pete Ward

palehose1

The old guys will remember him, very good player for the White Sox in the late 1960's. First White Sox Player I ever met. When I was  7 year old he and Luis Aparicio signed baseballs for us kids at the old Imperial Gardens on 86th and Pulaski. Pete was joking with all of the kids and Luis never sad a word, looking back he probably didn't know much English.

RIP Pete

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, palehose1 said:

The old guys will remember him, very good player for the White Sox in the late 1960's. First White Sox Player I ever met. When I was  7 year old he and Luis Aparicio signed baseballs for us kids at the old Imperial Gardens on 86th and Pulaski. Pete was joking with all of the kids and Luis never sad a word, looking back he probably didn't know much English.

RIP Pete

Yea, Remember him well. I've got a couple of his baseball cards!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, palehose1 said:

RIP Pete

Had to be in 68 or 69, only 2 years they played together on the Sox.

His best years were in 63 and 64, right after the Aparicio trade with the Orioles that brought him to the Sox, then the accident in 1965 that I mentioned in an earlier post hampered the rest of his career.

Edited by The Mighty Mite
  • Like 1

41 minutes ago, The Mighty Mite said:

One of my favorites. A shame his career was never the same after sustaining back and neck injuries in an accident after a Blackhawk-Canadiens playoff game in April of 1965.

RIP Pete. His name was very familiar to me and my family growing up on the South Side.

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

The big 3 Tommy John, Joel Horlen and Gary Peters.

Outstanding pitching in 1967, led the league in ERA. If the Sox just had some hitting  they would have won the pennant and still might have but in the last week the Sox lost 5 straight to the 2 worst teams in the league, the A's and Senators. 

• Like 2

Just now, The Mighty Mite said:

Outstanding pitching in 1967, led the league in ERA , if we just had some hitting but we still almost won the pennant ecept the last week the Sox lost 5 straight to the 2 worst teams in the league, the A's and Senators. 

My Favorite Sox were Ken Berry and Joel Horlen. My older brother's was Ward.

5 minutes ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

My Favorite Sox were Ken Berry and Joel Horlen. My older brother's was Ward.

Horlen was one of the best Sox pitchers ever but was number 1 in hard luck losses. I thought when he pitched the no hitter in September of 67 the Sox were on their way to the A. L. Pennant.

1 minute ago, The Mighty Mite said:

Horlen was one of the best Sox pitchers ever but was number 1  in hard luck losses. I thought when he pitched the no hitter in September of 67 the Sox were on their way to the A. L. Pennant.

And from that point on I always wore #16 Berry's number. Ward I think was 8, Horlen was 20.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, palehose1 said:

RIP Pete

No one mentions the 1964 squad, one of the best ever finished one game behind the Yankmeats. 

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, runtheballdown said:

Gary peters was a really good hitter and pinch hit from time to time back then if I remember correctly….

Not just time to time - he was a frequent PH both here and in Boston. In todays' game there would be a possibility of him going as an occasional DH. Maybe not Ohtani level, but he was a hitter.

I remember Jack Brickhouse calling both  WSox and Cub games on Channel 9 on our Zenith  black and white  vacuum tube TV.

Floyd Robinson, Smokey Burgess, Wilbur Wood.. Gary Peters, Joel Horlen, Tommy John...

Pete Ward purchased a home in Bridgeport and would sometimes walk to the ballpark before he played in homes games.

2 minutes ago, tray said:

I remember Jack Brickhouse calling both  WSox and Cub games on Channel 9 on our Zenith  black and white  vacuum tube TV.

Floyd Robinson, Smokey Burgess, Wilbur Wood.. Gary Peters, Joel Horlen, Tommy John...

Pete Ward purchased a home in Bridgeport and would sometimes walk to the ballpark before he played in homes games.

62-66 Sox home of the knuckleballers. Wilhelm and Fisher with Wood  coming into his own.
I always felt Robinson was overlooked, he had a short but very good career. Don't know what happened to him.
Too bad about Ward and the accident - his '64 season was first class.

3 hours ago, The Mighty Mite said:

Outstanding pitching in 1967, led the league in ERA. If the Sox just had some hitting  they would have won the pennant and still might have but in the last week the Sox lost 5 straight to the 2 worst teams in the league, the A's and Senators. 

My first year following the Sox as a child.  They  finally made playoffs when I was an adult.
RIP, Pete Ward.

9 hours ago, pcq said:

No one mentions the 1964 squad, one of the best ever finished one game behind the Yankmeats. 

The Sox won thier last 10 games but could only pick up 3 games on the Yankees and finished 1 game out. I remember a glorious 4 game sweep over the Yankees in August, a Monday through Thursday series and old Comiskey was rocking.

12 hours ago, FoxForce2 said:

Juan Pizarro in 63-64 was lights out.

If that pitching staff had the current CWS offense there would have been several more WS Championships in the trophy case.

Pete was my favorite player back then.  R.I.P.