Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
Tnetennba

We should just get Conforto

Recommended Posts

Why can’t we have nice things too?

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I look forward to the handful of people that continually say it’s never gonna happen crawling back into their caves when it does. He has very limited suitors at this point. Have the Sox (annoyingly) played the long game here? Absolutely. But I still think he’s a Sox before it’s all said and done. 4/$78M. 

If it doesn’t happen, oh well. life goes on. Sox still really good, but this offseason will have been an objective failure unless Hahn pulls some rabbit out of his ass with Kimbrel/LAD/Bellinger which I think is a pipe dream.

  • Like 2
  • Love 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, ChiSox59 said:

I look forward to the handful of people that continually say it’s never gonna happen crawling back into their caves when it does. He has very limited suitors at this point. Have the Sox (annoyingly) played the long game here? Absolutely. But I still think he’s a Sox before it’s all said and done. 4/$78M. 

If it doesn’t happen, oh well. life goes on. Sox still really good, but this offseason will have been an objective failure unless Hahn pulls some rabbit out of his ass with Kimbrel/LAD/Bellinger which I think is a pipe dream.

That would be an insane contract if you can get him for that.  Agreed this offseason would be a disaster if it ended as we have it today.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, ChiSox59 said:

I look forward to the handful of people that continually say it’s never gonna happen crawling back into their caves when it does. He has very limited suitors at this point. Have the Sox (annoyingly) played the long game here? Absolutely. But I still think he’s a Sox before it’s all said and done. 4/$78M. 

If it doesn’t happen, oh well. life goes on. Sox still really good, but this offseason will have been an objective failure unless Hahn pulls some rabbit out of his ass with Kimbrel/LAD/Bellinger which I think is a pipe dream.

Well said.  This thread might be 100% wishful thinking but I’m keeping hope alive. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Squirmin' for Yermin said:

That would be an insane contract if you can get him for that.  Agreed this offseason would be a disaster if it ended as we have it today.

I think Castellanos deal was good news. Perhaps unfair because careeer numbers don’t bear it out, but Nick C is widely considered the better bat, had a much better 21 and was projected to get a bigger deal than he did / bigger than Conforto. 

I don’t see anyone out there giving Conforto 5 years right now. If I were Sox I’d just offer the same deal and be done with it, but this is the Sox here. Just how they roll. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Honestly, I wish Rick Hahn would put Sox fans out of their misery and say this off season is over. RIP off the bandaid, finish the crying, and let's play ball.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

Honestly, I wish Rick Hahn would put Sox fans out of their misery and say this off season is over. RIP off the bandaid, finish the crying, and let's play ball.

Not exactly the best strategy to sell season tickets in a competitive (in the sense that there’s much more to spend money on than 20-30 years ago) entertainment-based industry.

You know that had to be at least part of the thinking in Minnesota…coming from the marketing department.

Thankfully, Ilitch Jr. in DET seems nothing like his free-spending father.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This feels like Machado all over again.  

We might be the only bidders left then someone comes in at the last second and beats the low ball offer. 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I have never heard the Sox are bidders for Conforto. Hahn basically announced they weren't looking to take AB's from Vaughn. Is there any evidence, other than obvious need, that the Sox have been in on Conforto?

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Cue the, "We should be proud of the aggressiveness and creativity of our offer. In the end we felt we made a very compelling offer."

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Take out Bellinger's MVP season and then Bellinger/Kimbrel is actually realistic. That is an outlier. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, ChiSox59 said:

I look forward to the handful of people that continually say it’s never gonna happen crawling back into their caves when it does. He has very limited suitors at this point. Have the Sox (annoyingly) played the long game here? Absolutely. But I still think he’s a Sox before it’s all said and done. 4/$78M. 

If it doesn’t happen, oh well. life goes on. Sox still really good, but this offseason will have been an objective failure unless Hahn pulls some rabbit out of his ass with Kimbrel/LAD/Bellinger which I think is a pipe dream.

Even if the Sox make 0 more moves this offseason, and then 0 moves at the deadline, but they win the world series, nobody will say this offseason was a failure. As of right now, yes it looks like they need to make more moves. But it won't be a failure until they don't win it all. And yes, they should consider just winning the division, or even just getting to the world series, a failure. This year and next year are the years to win it all. This is our window, right now. 

  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, ScooterMcGee said:

Even if the Sox make 0 more moves this offseason, and then 0 moves at the deadline, but they win the world series, nobody will say this offseason was a failure. As of right now, yes it looks like they need to make more moves. But it won't be a failure until they don't win it all. And yes, they should consider just winning the division, or even just getting to the world series, a failure. This year and next year are the years to win it all. This is our window, right now. 

I agree. But Sox do have clear weaknesses and they were exposed 2 years in a row in the playoffs and they’ve done nothing to address it YET. As I’ve said 100 times, I’ll wait to see the whole roster before I make final judgements. I’d be shocked if this was the roster they roll with. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
45 minutes ago, Jack Parkman said:

Take out Bellinger's MVP season and then Bellinger/Kimbrel is actually realistic. That is an outlier. 

He was very good for 3 seasons from age 21 to 23 2017-2019 when he got in full seasons.

2020 Covid short season where a lot of established players had bad seasons. Still 113 wRC+ 1.2 fWar

2021 Recovering from off season shoulder surgery (dislocated celebrating his NLCS winning HR) in 2020, then fractured fibula,  calf problems, then hamstring problems and a fractured rib colliding with the inexperienced Lux in the OF. His swing was a mess. But in the 2021 World Series he put up a line of .412 .500. 588 1.088

He was K ing more.LHP were coming at him with hard stuff, he was swinging at more pitches out of the zone.

Despite all that and the Eloy like injuries he is still worth considerably more than Kimbrel. Sox would have to sweeten the pot with prospects  . How many and who if the Dodgers are actually entertaining trading him, is anyones guess. My best guess is the Dodgers aren't trading him.

Eloy is 25 and hasn't put up a season yet like Bellingers' 1st 3 years when he was under 23 and will never ever be the GG type fielder Bellinger is. Most people here think trading Eloy would be terrible. I'd be looking to move him and entertain offers always if I thought it would improve the team.

Edited by CaliSoxFanViaSWside

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

According to a tweet I saw back in February, the Sox have been linked to Conforto so he's as good as here IMHO.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, KBX said:

According to a tweet I saw back in February, the Sox have been linked to Conforto so he's as good as here IMHO.

The Red Sox?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, ChiSox59 said:

I think Castellanos deal was good news. Perhaps unfair because careeer numbers don’t bear it out, but Nick C is widely considered the better bat, had a much better 21 and was projected to get a bigger deal than he did / bigger than Conforto. 

I don’t see anyone out there giving Conforto 5 years right now. If I were Sox I’d just offer the same deal and be done with it, but this is the Sox here. Just how they roll. 

Maybe the Mets still might although I think 4 is the magic number for whoever gets him

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Why would the Sox be looking for a mult-year deal for a RF?   Oscar Colas or Yoenis Cespedes are the players they expect to compete for RF soon. Not this year, but very possibly as soon as 2023.  The Sox have to be looking for some inexpensive starters to balance the roster. 

The only way I think they'd consider signing Conforto would be on a 1-year prove it deal to see if he can regain his form.  

  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Timmy U said:

I have never heard the Sox are bidders for Conforto. Hahn basically announced they weren't looking to take AB's from Vaughn. Is there any evidence, other than obvious need, that the Sox have been in on Conforto?

Exactly. It is like people didn't think Hahn was serious or something. Dismissed out of wishful thinking? Believe who someone is, when they are  telling you who they are. 

The Sox have been very very circumspect when the mega dollar deals are in play for outsiders. I believe Hahn.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
28 minutes ago, VAfan said:

Why would the Sox be looking for a mult-year deal for a RF?   Oscar Colas or Yoenis Cespedes are the players they expect to compete for RF soon. Not this year, but very possibly as soon as 2023.  The Sox have to be looking for some inexpensive starters to balance the roster. 

The only way I think they'd consider signing Conforto would be on a 1-year prove it deal to see if he can regain his form.  

That's going to be little consolation five years from now if/when they don't make it and they passed on Suzuki and Conforto.

Having too much talent is a good problem to have, generally.

Well, except for the never-ending Kimbrel saga.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, Chick Mercedes said:

Exactly. It is like people didn't think Hahn was serious or something. Dismissed out of wishful thinking? Believe who someone is, when they are  telling you who they are. 

The Sox have been very very circumspect when the mega dollar deals are in play for outsiders. I believe Hahn.

Well, except for Wheeler and Machado...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
47 minutes ago, VAfan said:

Why would the Sox be looking for a mult-year deal for a RF?   Oscar Colas or Yoenis Cespedes are the players they expect to compete for RF soon. Not this year, but very possibly as soon as 2023.  The Sox have to be looking for some inexpensive starters to balance the roster. 

The only way I think they'd consider signing Conforto would be on a 1-year prove it deal to see if he can regain his form.  

This is a loser's mentality. You don't go into a season where your team is competitive with a giant hole in RF because some prospects (who haven't shown a damn thing yet) "might" be ready a year or 2 from now. 

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 minutes ago, caulfield12 said:

Well, except for Wheeler and Machado...

I believe the Sox were FOS a lot. Especially for Machado. The approach was basically to offer Machado what they think he should like better than what Machado wanted. It was a weird offer. Poison pilled their pursuit. Seemed  a lot of it was like a public relations stunt. Have it our way! Would have been funny if Machado actually accepted the offer. This is what circumspect means.

 

the Sox are not volume players in mega dollar deals, I don’t know why you suggest they are..

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×