Gas. High Gas (prices).

Middle Buffalo

On 6/21/2022 at 6:10 PM, greg775 said:

You can't say this with 100 percent certainty. ... For one, how do you know Putin would have chosen this time to invade Ukraine with a more trigger-happy dangerous USA leader in Trump. Say what you want, it's possible he doesn't attack at this time in history if Trump was still in charge. ... And Trump would never have reduced drilling in the USA. He may be the devil to many, but there's no way he's pulling back on oil production in the USA. Discuss all you want if Joe's vision on energy is better, but no way in hell is Trump pushing ANY green agenda if it means this kind of pain at the pump. No way. This is kind of humorous how different the Repubs are from the Demos in this area. If somehow the Repubs win it back in 2024, there will be an immediate complete reversal regarding oil production in the USA, pipelines flowing, etc. So many things going on now (border included) would/will be reversed in 24 if Repubs somehow won. Crazy thought.

Caveat: These are my opinions. I'm not trying to suggest I'm right even though I believe I am right.

What should the Republican plan be if oil is a finite resource, if climate change or pollution is an issue and there is a need to start the transition to different sources of energy? 

2 hours ago, The Beast said:

What should the Republican plan be if oil is a finite resource, if climate change or pollution is an issue and there is a need to start the transition to different sources of energy? 

Continue to use all the GOP donating Texas company oil until there is a crisis, then send billions of dollars to GOP donating corporations to come up with a solution. 

Just a hunch from listening to my other senator. 

• Thanks 1

Interesting little twist on the price of energy on a personal level.  I just received notification from Peoples Gas that my monthly budget plan will be increasing $97 a month.  That's over $1100 for the year.  So I get to add that onto the increase at the pump.  

My wife told our son she will start using his old bike to get to work if these gas prices continue to climb....he said he doesn't believe her. :cool:

Edited by wegner

11 hours ago, Texsox said:

Continue to use all the GOP donating Texas company oil until there is a crisis, then send billions of dollars to GOP donating corporations to come up with a solution. 

Just a hunch from listening to my other senator. 

The bearded guy that left Texas for Cancun? Fuck him.

9 hours ago, The Beast said:

The bearded guy that left Texas for Cancun? Fuck him.

You can, I don't like him that much. I love Al Franken's line "I like Ted Cruz more than most people and I hate Ted Cruz".

With Cornyn I've gone from automatically donating and voting for his opponent, to not voting in his race, to I'll probably vote for him in the next election. Which also means I double up my donation to whomever is running against Cruz. 

44 minutes ago, Texsox said:

You can, I don't like him that much. I love Al Franken's line "I like Ted Cruz more than most people and I hate Ted Cruz".

With Cornyn I've gone from automatically donating and voting for his opponent, to not voting in his race, to I'll probably vote for him in the next election. Which also means I double up my donation to whomever is running against Cruz. 

“Lucifer in the flesh. The most miserable son of a b**** I ever had to deal with.”

”P.S. Ted Cruz, go fuck yourself.”

- Former GOP House Speaker John Boehner

I would vote for Cornyn if he was going to win too, given his work on recent legislation with Chris Murphy and having the balls to buck his party.

Edited by The Beast
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
4 hours ago, CentralChamps21 said:

Judging by the thousands of dollars that everybody had to spend on fireworks, gas prices are in fact, not at all too high.

A politician should try this one on the campaign trail. 

• Like 1

21 hours ago, CentralChamps21 said:

Judging by the thousands of dollars that everybody had to spend on fireworks, gas prices are in fact, not at all too high.

As well as the miles driven to Indiana for said fireworks.

Edited by The Beast

when compared to MPG in the models of cars being driven today (mostly 2017-2022 models) and then taking into nominal inflation .. not todays inflation, but your standard 3% or so, the gas prices are actually lower today than when July 2008 hit $4.11 a gallon. 

Either way demand destruction is real. I'm not sure you'll see above $6 gas again in Chicagoland anytime soon. You'll likely see a combo of summer blend going away, tax holiday, etc. All will keep that price hovering around $5. My personal guess though. 

12 hours ago, KrankinSox said:

https://www.reuters.com/business/energy/oil-us-reserves-head-overseas-gasoline-prices-stay-high-2022-07-05/

Odd decision to send 5 million barrels of the US emergency reserve oil to Europe and Asia.

This is exactly why it was illegal to export domestic oil until very recently a GOP House and Senate changed that.

27 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

This is exactly why it was illegal to export domestic oil until very recently a GOP House and Senate changed that.

"The Senate, on a 65-33 vote, approved lifting the ban and providing five-year extensions of tax breaks to boost renewable energy development as part of a $1.8 trillion government spending and tax relief bill that President Barack Obama quickly signed into law.

The House of Representatives passed legislation containing the energy provisions earlier in the day by a 316-113 tally."

Sounds like it had a lot of support from both sides. Either way, I'm not so much focused on the laws that allowed this or which bipartisan decision went in to allowing it. 

I want to know why we shipped 5 million barrels to Europe and Asia, more specifically China who is still getting oil from the Russians. Who made this decision and why did they make it?

7 minutes ago, KrankinSox said:

"The Senate, on a 65-33 vote, approved lifting the ban and providing five-year extensions of tax breaks to boost renewable energy development as part of a $1.8 trillion government spending and tax relief bill that President Barack Obama quickly signed into law.

The House of Representatives passed legislation containing the energy provisions earlier in the day by a 316-113 tally."

Sounds like it had a lot of support from both sides. Either way, I'm not so much focused on the laws that allowed this or which bipartisan decision went in to allowing it. 

I want to know why we shipped 5 million barrels to Europe and Asia, more specifically China who is still getting oil from the Russians. Who made this decision and why did they make it?

I don't care, but I need to get Obama's name into the post, lol.

Because where we used to have government protection here, it was derregulated, and companies seek profits first, so they are sending oil overseas where they can sell it for more.  This has nothing to do with anything but increasing profit margins at corporations.  The "decision" is made by each private company, because that is what the government allowed them to do.

Obama had threatened to veto the bill, but it was override proof, so he didn't.  For example in the house, 26 Dems joined all of the GOP in voting for this bill.  I guess in this day and age that passes for 'bipartisan'.

15 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

I don't care, but I need to get Obama's name into the post, lol.

Because where we used to have government protection here, it was derregulated, and companies seek profits first, so they are sending oil overseas where they can sell it for more.  This has nothing to do with anything but increasing profit margins at corporations.  The "decision" is made by each private company, because that is what the government allowed them to do.

Obama had threatened to veto the bill, but it was override proof, so he didn't.  For example in the house, 26 Dems joined all of the GOP in voting for this bill.  I guess in this day and age that passes for 'bipartisan'.

It had nothing to do with me wanting to talk about Obama. You brought politics into it and blamed the GOP. I literally just googled the bill and copy and pasted the details of the vote, which happened to mention Obama was the president who signed it into law. And in  present day, the GOP has introduced a bill to ban the export of oil to China. Do you think this bill is a good idea?

Edited by KrankinSox