Jake Burger is actually pretty interesting

bmags

1 hour ago, southsider2k5 said:

Here's my eye test.

I didn't see him play 152 games over the last 3 seasons.

I firmly believe in the eye test.  Went to spring training 4-5 years ago before Anderson became a batting champ and the sound of the ball coming off his bat was louder than most players I saw.  You won't find the sound coming off a bat on any stat sheet that I know of.  While technically it was an "ear test" being there in person and seeing it with my eyes made me a believer in Tim Anderson before he became a star.

5 minutes ago, A-Train to 35th said:

While that is a good idea, it will have to wait until next year only if Abreu retires because we have too many DH's on this team as it stands.

If Sheets continues to progress he'll take over at 1st if Jose retires next year instead of Vaughn, and unless there's a trade Vaughn should be in LF over Eloy, with Eloy the DH as you suggested.

I can see Left Field being a Vaughn/Engel platoon, Robert in CF, and If Cespedes is the real deal he'll take over RF

Sounds like a plan, unless we sign Conforto.

14 minutes ago, South Side Fireworks Man said:

I wonder what the Sox could get in return for Moncada.

An absolute haul. Why would they move him though? Stellar defense and the 3rd highest OBP in the AL last year. I’d prefer more power but 4 WAR 3B are tough to find 

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, Y2Jimmy0 said:

An absolute haul. Why would they move him though? Stellar defense and the 3rd highest OBP in the AL last year. I’d prefer more power but 4 WAR 3B are tough to find 

I'd prefer a little more power, but I still think the COVID thing set him back and he lost some it because of that, hopefully it will return because he can mash.

The only thing that bothers me about him is he doesn't seem to have the desire or determination to improve and seems to give a damn at times.  He'll make the hard plays,  it's the easy ones that involve concentrating and seeing the ball in your glove that he sometimes has problems with.  Don't forget the man is set financially and could have lost some of the drive to excel that got him the big payday with Boston in the first place.   Just a thought, I still like him at 3B and wouldn't trade him. Let's hope he clears his head of outside distractions (singing career) and just plays ball.

Edited by A-Train to 35th
sp

13 minutes ago, Y2Jimmy0 said:

If they think Burger can play decent 3B and give them more power why not get an absolute haul for Moncada if they can to improve the team as a whole?  If they're not going to spend big bucks to improve via free agency then they must improve via trade.  I'd rather trade Moncada for a haul than someone like Burger for a one year rental.

7 minutes ago, South Side Fireworks Man said:

If they think Burger can play decent 3B and give them more power why not get an absolute haul for Moncada if they can to improve the team as a whole?  If they're not going to spend big bucks to improve via free agency then they must improve via trade.  I'd rather trade Moncada for a haul than someone like Burger for a one year rental.

I like someones suggestion that I read the other day.  If Moose can play 2B, why can't Burger?

• Like 2

A couple years ago I told a few people that Yoan was a future MVP. Incredibly gifted will all tools. Since then he was slowed down by COVID and I honestly think he’s a ADD guy. Not wrong with that and if you’re going to have that baseball is a good sport to have it with.

but I do question his motivation over the course of a full season. Last year he put up second baseman stats. I am a fan of burger but the Sox will likely screw him up somehow.

So it’s likely Monday a stays and third and burger is wasted

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, A-Train to 35th said:

I like someones suggestion that I read the other day.  If Moose can play 2B, why can't Burger?

The Sox should've figured out what would provide better defense: Moncada at 3B and Burger at 2B, or Burger at 3B with Moncada at 2B and just rolled with that instead of wasting money and roster spot on 35 year old Josh Harrison.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, runtheballdown said:

A couple years ago I told a few people that Yoan was a future MVP. Incredibly gifted will all tools. Since then he was slowed down by COVID and I honestly think he’s a ADD guy. Not wrong with that and if you’re going to have that baseball is a good sport to have it with.

but I do question his motivation over the course of a full season. Last year he put up second baseman stats. I am a fan of burger but the Sox will likely screw him up somehow.

So it’s likely Monday a stays and third and burger is wasted

2nd baseman stats? He didn't hit for enough power but he put up a 4.f fWAR season. He was the third best 3B in the entire sport last year. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, A-Train to 35th said:

I firmly believe in the eye test.  Went to spring training 4-5 years ago before Anderson became a batting champ and the sound of the ball coming off his bat was louder than most players I saw.  You won't find the sound coming off a bat on any stat sheet that I know of.  While technically it was an "ear test" being there in person and seeing it with my eyes made me a believer in Tim Anderson before he became a star.

I had a similar experience when watching Hunter Pence III play for the Corpus Christi Hooks.  You wouldn't need to ask a professional scout if he was any good.  Talent in some players is obvious.  

25 minutes ago, Y2Jimmy0 said:

2nd baseman stats? He didn't hit for enough power but he put up a 4.f fWAR season. He was the third best 3B in the entire sport last year. 

I really am not into stats as the sole barometer of someone’s success or failure so I will say to you from watching him that he had a mediocre season. Maybe I have a inflated view of what level of play I thought I’d see from him. He needs to hit with more power and be more of a force. 

Edited by runtheballdown
Mis spelling
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, Y2Jimmy0 said:

I'm sure it'll be easy for the Sox to upgrade on an in their prime player who's been one of the best players at his position over the last 3 years 🙂

fwar.png

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Y2Jimmy0 said:

Nope. You forgot who our GM is. 

I'm still waiting for Moncada to play up to his capability.  He came close in 2019.  Let's start by cutting down on the strike outs.  Add some speed.  Cut down on the bad throws. (Abreu saved him a shitpotful of errors last year).  Hit over .300.  The rest will take care of itself.

9 hours ago, Tnetennba said:

Except Vaughn was far better in LF last season than Eloy ever has been.  And isn’t an injury to himself or others waiting to happen.  But by all means don’t let facts get in the way of your biased ranting and raving.   

that post didn't age well.

58 minutes ago, oldsox said:

I'm still waiting for Moncada to play up to his capability.  He came close in 2019.  Let's start by cutting down on the strike outs.  Add some speed.  Cut down on the bad throws. (Abreu saved him a shitpotful of errors last year).  Hit over .300.  The rest will take care of itself.

The only player on the roster who *clearly* checks more boxes than Moncada does is Luis Robert. It's strange that people on here spend so much time fixating on Moncada's flaws when no other player on the roster gets held to that same standard.

• Like 2

43 minutes ago, maxjusttyped said:

The only player on the roster who *clearly* checks more boxes than Moncada does is Luis Robert. It's strange that people on here spend so much time fixating on Moncada's flaws when no other player on the roster gets held to that same standard.

Max, you're right.  So am I.

1 hour ago, maxjusttyped said:

Certain Sox fans don’t like him because he lacks emotion & fire, so they pick apart his weaknesses and ignore his strengths.  The reality is that if the power ever comes, he one of the elite players in baseball.  If not, he’s simply a really good player.

Edited by Chicago White Sox
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, maxjusttyped said:

Because that goes with the territory of being the #1 prospect in all of baseball when he was with Boston...

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

Certain Sox fans don’t like him because he lacks emotion & fire, so they pick apart his weaknesses and ignore his strengths.  The reality is that if the power ever comes, he one of the elite players in baseball.  If not, he’s simply a really good player.

Or they're not fans of his reggaeton videos or Twinkies.

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, oldsox said:

Hahn's two strengths as a GM, and what made the current team possible, are contracts negotiated in-house and getting good returns for All-Star level talent, it's what makes him a good Reinsdorf GM.

It sucks cause his weaknesses are the inverse and are what the team needed badly this offseason.

• Like 4

14 hours ago, Tnetennba said:

Except Vaughn was far better in LF last season than Eloy ever has been.  And isn’t an injury to himself or others waiting to happen.  But by all means don’t let facts get in the way of your biased ranting and raving.  

Although Vaughan did injure himself fielding yesterday! 😉