Jake Burger is actually pretty interesting

bmags

2 hours ago, Jack Parkman said:

When did Stevie Ray come back from the dead to play RF for the Sox?  :)

SRV was awesome. I was at the show the night before he died.

Maybe he meant his brother Jimmy? An outstanding guitar player himself. 

Edited by ptatc

• 3 weeks later...
13 minutes ago, Bob Sacamano said:

TLR says Leury is an every day player so that unfortunately is not going to happen.

Yep just wait until TLR puts Robert on the bench in order to give Leury some ABs today

Edited by HahnsKiddieTable

Ok, so I’m really thinking that Burger looks like an MLB starting 3b. Obviously the White Sox have Moncada secured there for another 3 years, so we probably need to showcase Burger and move him for MLB help or future farm pieces eventually (maybe this year). 

I am challenged to see how we keep him in MLB when the rosters are reduced and Moncada returns in May. We’re paying Leury as the utility guy, and Mendick offers more flexibility of defensive positions compared to Burger, at this time. Unless they start considering Burger at 2b too, it’s hard to imagine him sticking even with his way better bat. Sox already have limited basher in Vaughn and Sheets, so if Burger can’t offer more defensive flexibility, hard to see him sticking with the Sox’s squad. 

One interesting, high risk thought is moving Moncada. I can hear the laughter now. Obviously, Moncada is a much bigger ceiling over Burger and I’m not going to dispute that. He’s also one of our two (switch) lefty smashers with Grandal. So moving Moncada for Burger also makes the Sox more righty, which wouldn’t be a good thing. 

Where the potential to move Moncada makes sense is the cost of him now and where his contract goes over next 2-3 seasons. He’s going to get paid a hell of a lot of money.  $13.8 million this season, $17.8 million next year, $24.8 in 2024, optional $25 million in 2025. 

So the questions are is Moncada worth that amount going forward? Has he underperformed that moving $$$ amount to where his trade value suffers (he costs too much)? Would there be other MLB teams interested in Moncada at his upcoming contract salaries? Is the gap in talent between Moncada and Burger so great in comparison to the gap in money right now (Burger paid $700k now and cost controllable during same timeframe as Moncada). Obviously, a cost savings of moving Moncada and starting Burger could help the Sox with some long term moves, like extending Giolito or getting another starter next year in RF (if Pollock opts out). 

Sox could try to play it out for a bit and see if Burger continues to increase his stock in MLB or MiLB. Also, we would want to see where Moncada performs before Allstar break.

Regardless, Burger is talented enough to be a starting 3b. Sox will need to be creative to move him at some point if they don’t consider him a 2b. He may be a trade deadline piece to move to cover any gaps. 

Edited by SouthSideGeorgia
  • Like 2

6 minutes ago, Jack Parkman said:

This is an unpopular opinion, but here it is. Trade Eloy for an equivalent SP. Vaughn in LF, Burger at 1B. Do it like soon, before people realize Eloy has been significantly underperforming. 

Might have worked in November, but you're not going to get anywhere near full value trying to trade someone in April.

• Like 2

38 minutes ago, Jack Parkman said:

This is an unpopular opinion, but here it is. Trade Eloy for an equivalent SP. Vaughn in LF, Burger at 1B. Do it like soon, before people realize Eloy has been significantly underperforming. 

Eloy is a generational hitter. He is a stud - his body looks like  LeBron's , about  6'4" solid muscle.

Vaughn  will; be a good hitter but IMO, he will never generate the power numbers that Eloy will.

Vaughn and Burger are arguably the same type of player, lthough I think Vaughn may hit for better average while Burger seems to have more of a home run cut and possibly more power. . I like them  both,  but please, neither one is on par with Eloy.

I sense some people do not like Eloy for other reasons, but I am not sure what those reasons might be.  Eloy  is the heart and soul of this team.

Eloy  makes people smile and laugh and makes the game fun to watch.  It's an added dimension to his game that other players just don't have.

Edited by tray
  • Haha 6

42 minutes ago, Jack Parkman said:

Eloy is going nowhere. Stop this nonsense.

• Like 3
  • Fire 2

57 minutes ago, tray said:

Eloy is a generational hitter. He is a stud - his body looks like  LeBron's , about  6'4" solid muscle.

Vaughn  will; be a good hitter but IMO, he will never generate the power numbers that Eloy will.

Vaughn and Burger are arguably the same type of player, lthough I think Vaughn may hit for better average while Burger seems to have more of a home run cut and possibly more power. . I like them  both,  but please, neither one is on par with Eloy.

I sense some people do not like Eloy for other reasons, but I am not sure what those reasons might be.  Eloy  is the heart and soul of this team.

Eloy  makes people smile and laugh and makes the game fun to watch.  It's an added dimension to his game that other players just don't have.

TA is the heart and soul of the team.

• Like 3

6 hours ago, SouthSideGeorgia said:

Ok, so I’m really thinking that Burger looks like an MLB starting 3b. Obviously the White Sox have Moncada secured there for another 3 years, so we probably need to showcase Burger and move him for MLB help or future farm pieces eventually (maybe this year). 

I am challenged to see how we keep him in MLB when the rosters are reduced and Moncada returns in May. We’re paying Leury as the utility guy, and Mendick offers more flexibility of defensive positions compared to Burger, at this time. Unless they start considering Burger at 2b too, it’s hard to imagine him sticking even with his way better bat. Sox already have limited basher in Vaughn and Sheets, so if Burger can’t offer more defensive flexibility, hard to see him sticking with the Sox’s squad. 

One interesting, high risk thought is moving Moncada. I can hear the laughter now. Obviously, Moncada is a much bigger ceiling over Burger and I’m not going to dispute that. He’s also one of our two (switch) lefty smashers with Grandal. So moving Moncada for Burger also makes the Sox more righty, which wouldn’t be a good thing. 

Where the potential to move Moncada makes sense is the cost of him now and where his contract goes over next 2-3 seasons. He’s going to get paid a hell of a lot of money.  $13.8 million this season, $17.8 million next year, $24.8 in 2024, optional $25 million in 2025. 

So the questions are is Moncada worth that amount going forward? Has he underperformed that moving $$$ amount to where his trade value suffers (he costs too much)? Would there be other MLB teams interested in Moncada at his upcoming contract salaries? Is the gap in talent between Moncada and Burger so great in comparison to the gap in money right now (Burger paid $700k now and cost controllable during same timeframe as Moncada). Obviously, a cost savings of moving Moncada and starting Burger could help the Sox with some long term moves, like extending Giolito or getting another starter next year in RF (if Pollock opts out). 

Sox could try to play it out for a bit and see if Burger continues to increase his stock in MLB or MiLB. Also, we would want to see where Moncada performs before Allstar break.

Regardless, Burger is talented enough to be a starting 3b. Sox will need to be creative to move him at some point if they don’t consider him a 2b. He may be a trade deadline piece to move to cover any gaps. 

Moncada is a 4 WAR 3B who is most effective from the left side. 

There's no reason to move him now.

If Montgomery and/or Kath continue to look like stone cold killer savages when they get to the higher levels we can start to think about it, esp if Moncada is not performing but it's way too early to think about this.

I know the flavor of the month is naturally popular but there is a huge downgrade from Moncada to Burger. We would get even worse vs RHP and Burger is likely a butcher defensively. Even without his power, Yoan is an OBP machine.

Jake is useful as a backup since Moncada always has lingering hammy issues and if u can sell Burger high that's fine but I wouldn't replace one with the other unless the haul for Moncada is absolutely obscene AND a young LH savage is absolutely ready to come in and be a 3 WAR+ player.

1 hour ago, tray said:

People dont like Eloy because he is a danger to himself and others the moment a glove goes on his hand 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, Jack Parkman said:

You're right, it is unpopular.

Dude has never really hit like expected til June, but he's also not had a normal offseason since, what, 2019?

So Big Mac had a chance to play 2B and make millions of dollars but couldn't lay off the Twinkies and Ding Dongs. Dude unless your name is Frank Thomas or Harold Baines maybe you should re-evalute. You could be a truck driver and eat whatever you want. 

On 4/16/2022 at 5:51 PM, tray said:

This is so specious. Eloy gets one more year of stroking us around before going on the block. Bye mom!! 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1