Jake Burger is actually pretty interesting

bmags

24 minutes ago, michelangelosmonkey said:

Eloy hit 45 home runs in his first 175 games at 23.  He hit .296 at 23.   He was hurt last year.  Why would you hate him?    

I am a huge Eloy fan.  I wouldn't even entertain trading him right now.

But its also hard to look at Eloy from 21 and this very small sample in 22 and see anything close to the 2019 and 2020 version of Eloy.  He seemingly forgot how to elevate the ball.  He can't hit anything on the outside of the plate.  His batting stance changes every other at bat.  He used to look confident AF at the dish,  but right now he looks lost.  He's in worse shape now than he was then, and I suspect that trend will continue.    

I do think Eloy will figure it out offensively, but you combine that previous paragraph with the fact he's a DH playing LF, is a danger to everyone around him and apparently refuses to DH.....I can get why people are down on him. But there is simply no way the Sox can extract enough value from Eloy right now.  He's worth way more to the Sox if he even comes 80% of the player he was in those first ~600 PA than whatever he'd return in trade right now.  

• Like 1

The name of the game in the mlb now is home runs. Teams routinely sacrifice some D in LF for power.

Eloy is fast  and gets to balls other players cannot.  His height and a long reach helped him  snag that ball on Opening Day which aided the victory. fans in the LF stands reacted and he acknowledged them with a tip of the hat and that smile. He also beat out a throw avoiding a DP which allowed  the winning run to score.

I  go to games and evaluate players based on what I see. I don't buy into screeds like "he's a DH playing LF, is a danger to everyone around  him.."

I  have never heard of roster decisions based on  fear of injury. Almost every player will sustain some injury over the course of ST plus 162 games. 

Engel, Robert, Yasmani, Moncada, TA, Burger....all have had injuries  (inc some serious ones) over the past few years.

Anyway, speaking only for myself, I enjoy going to WSox games and  seeing all the players in person,  including Eloy . Again, IMO , I think he adds a lot to the fan experience  with his personality and his performance on the field.   I like the "Hi mom!" and his interactions with fans. His positive attitude is contagious. That is always a good thing in any field of endeavor.

• Like 1