Andrew Vaughn hurts hip pointer, out 1-2 weeks per White Sox

Buehrle>Wood

3 minutes ago, bmags said:

I will admit that my working assumption was that this would end up a bo jackson type injury but it does seem likely that this was just an ouchie.

Bo Jackson was the first person I thought of too when they put AV on the cart

Edited by smellysox

1 hour ago, Tnetennba said:

Just scrolling google last night regarding hip dislocations and it seems unlikely to me.  He got up on his own, and if the femur had popped out of the hip socket I think it’s highly unlikely he gets up under his own power or puts any weight on that leg.  Different injuries but neither Robert or Madrigal were walking on their own after their respective tears.  The cart coming out of course worries me because I’m just guessing using some logic and there is plenty of room for me to be wrong here.  I’m trying to be optimistic but their vague statement leaves plenty of room for worry with this team’s injury luck. 

It wasn't a dislocation.  He wouldn't be able to get up let alone stand on it. A subluxation is possible but unlikely.  

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Love 1

2 minutes ago, Bob Sacamano said:

Yeah I think he'll be fine. Buuuuuut they should still get a real RF.

Really hoping he's fine.  But if this wasn't enough to prove this little RF experiment isn't going to age well, I don't know what it is.  I like Vaughn a ton.  I'd rather see him play LF than RF.  He was a plenty capable in LF.  I don't mind playing him in RF here and there and keeping it in his "tool bag" - but expecting an Eloy/Robert/Vaughn OF to stay healthy is pure insanity. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, ptatc said:

It wasn't a dislocation.  He wouldn't be able to get up let alone stand on it. A subluxation is possible but unlikely.  

I YouTubed the career altering Bo Jackson injury yesterday right after Vaughn got hurt. He immediately got up after the injury, and then went back down. Then he actually walked off the field (with some help).

Was he just a tough son of b*tch?

• Like 1

I have always understood that  broken bone can be detected pretty quickly, but if there is excess swelling, a soft tissue injury such as a ligament tear could take a while to be able to see on MRI.  I could be wrong, but that is my guess as to what they are looking for based on what I remember from past injuries.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, ChiSox59 said:

Really hoping he's fine.  But if this wasn't enough to prove this little RF experiment isn't going to age well, I don't know what it is.  I like Vaughn a ton.  I'd rather see him play LF than RF.  He was a plenty capable in LF.  I don't mind playing him in RF here and there and keeping it in his "tool bag" - but expecting an Eloy/Robert/Vaughn OF to stay healthy is pure insanity. 

At least they learned their lesson and are playing a true outfielder in RF today

3 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

I have always understood that  broken bone can be detected pretty quickly, but if there is excess swelling, a soft tissue injury such as a ligament tear could take a while to be able to see on MRI.  I could be wrong, but that is my guess as to what they are looking for based on what I remember from past injuries.

I am guessing they did X-rays and scheduled an MRI when they put out their vague statement yesterday.  If there is significant swelling that would need to come down before they’re able to get accurate imaging. 

11 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

This is all true. Edema does cloud MRI.

Edited by ptatc
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, southsider2k5 said:

The wording of this gives me more optimism. Sounds like he was sore yesterday, and they told him to get some rest and come back tomorrow to get looked at again.

But I also don't know what the hell I'm talking about, so don't get your hopes up.

17 minutes ago, SoxBlanco said:

I YouTubed the career altering Bo Jackson injury yesterday right after Vaughn got hurt. He immediately got up after the injury, and then went back down. Then he actually walked off the field (with some help).

Was he just a tough son of b*tch?

His was technically a subluxation.  The femur came out but went back in. The ligamentum teres was torn during the injury. Thie ligamentum teres has an artery that carries blood to the head if the femur. Bo Jackson's issue was that the femoral head has avascular necrosis due to the lack of blood supply. This is essentially the bone dying. Thus he didn't have a hip joint and needed the hip replacement.

Edited by ptatc
  • Thanks 3

7 minutes ago, GREEDY said:

Hoping for and predicting a contusion.  

Sit for the remainder of the spring.  Do a rehab stint in extended spring until late April.  Miss the cold weather, stat crushing weeks.  Show up May 1 and mash.  

Just guessing but I don't think a contusion would need to wait for further evaluation. So hip pointer is probably out.

Not for sure but the longer it goes on the less likely that what it is.

It starting to look like a possible tear of the labrum or a hip flexor. Most likely soft tissue. 

30 minutes ago, smellysox said:

Bo Jackson was the first person I thought of too when they put AV on the cart

If you haven't seen it, go on youtube and see if you can find Bo Jackson's interview where he described the injury and his conversations with doctors afterwards.  Should put your concerns to rest.  There is a 0% chance that Vaughn's injury is the same as that.

• Like 1

Just now, ptatc said:

Just guessing but I don't think a contusion would need to wait for further evaluation. So hip pointer is probably out.

Not for sure but the longer it goes on the less likely that what it is.

It starting to look like a possible tear of the labrum or a hip flexor. Most likely soft tissue. 

That's what I was thinking when they didn't have an answer yet. The only thing that may save it, is they just want to make sure, but it's not looking good for a quick recovery.

11 minutes ago, Dick Allen said:

That's what I was thinking when they didn't have an answer yet. The only thing that may save it, is they just want to make sure, but it's not looking good for a quick recovery.

Yeah, there is always the "precautionary" MRI which shows nothing.

3 hours ago, Chicago White Sox said:

So assuming Vaughn is out, what do you guys expect the Opening Day lineup to be?

Here’s my guess:

1. Legend, RF#
  2. Robert, CF
  3. Abreu, 1B
  4. Grandal, C#
  5. Jimenez, RF
  6. Moncada, 3B#
  7. Big Energy, 2B
  8. Adolfo, DH
  9. Mendick, SS

I would guess Leury plays SS and Burger is the DH (with Adolfo/Sheets in RF, depending on who we are facing and whether we keep Adolfo on the 25 man).

1. Leury SS
  2. Robert CF
  3. Abreu 1B
  4. Grandal C
  5. Eloy LF
  6. Moncada 3B
  7. Sheets RF
  8. Burger DH
  9. Harrison 2B

Just now, ChiSox59 said:

IF they both have to play, Micker is the no brainer in RF.  They're not even in the same stratosphere defensively. 

If Leury is in CF, I sure hope Micker is in RF and Sheets is DHing.  But no crazy lineup from TLR should surprise me by now.

• Quin locked this topic