2022 MLB catch all thread

Balta1701

4 hours ago, maxjusttyped said:

Heaney is one of the seemingly infinite number of veteran SP's who signed 1 or 2 year deals over the off-season, for reasonable money, that would have made the Sox rotation better and deeper

Gtfo here with that logic. 

Pretty clear that the Dodgers, Giants and (maybe) the Padres have figured out the key is pitching...and the Angels at least brought in Syndergaard and replaced half their bullpen.

Mariners on the upswing.

Out west, the only laggards are the D-Backs and whatever the heck the A's are doing.

The offense-first approach of the Twins and Sox doesn't work in the post-season (yes, the White Sox are doing well on the pitching front SO FAR, but that doesn't appear to be their long-term strength unless they can somehow keep Kopech fresh and preserve the health of their Big 3).

24 minutes ago, caulfield12 said:

Pretty clear that the Dodgers, Giants and (maybe) the Padres have figured out the key is pitching...and the Angels at least brought in Syndergaard and replaced half their bullpen.

Mariners on the upswing.

Out west, the only laggards are the D-Backs and whatever the heck the A's are doing.

The offense-first approach of the Twins and Sox doesn't work in the post-season (yes, the White Sox are doing well on the pitching front SO FAR, but that doesn't appear to be their long-term strength unless they can somehow keep Kopech fresh and preserve the health of their Big 3).

I think it's fair to say that with the improvements Lucas, Cease, and Rodon made under Katz that they do as well. Even guys like Lopez and Jose Ruiz making strides under Katz I think is fair to give him a lot of credit for. The Sox were 1st in fWAR by like 5 wins as a staff last year. That is ridiculous. I think the key for them organizationally will be getting what Katz is teaching at the major league level trickled down into the minors. That is what orgs like the Dodgers & Rays do to constantly develop waves of pitching and it's something I think the Sox clearly need to improve upon.

39 minutes ago, maxjusttyped said:

I think it's fair to say that with the improvements Lucas, Cease, and Rodon made under Katz that they do as well. Even guys like Lopez and Jose Ruiz making strides under Katz I think is fair to give him a lot of credit for. The Sox were 1st in fWAR by like 5 wins as a staff last year. That is ridiculous. I think the key for them organizationally will be getting what Katz is teaching at the major league level trickled down into the minors. That is what orgs like the Dodgers & Rays do to constantly develop waves of pitching and it's something I think the Sox clearly need to improve upon.

We need to merge Katz along with the Brewers/Indians strategies for developing pitching from lower level draft picks...

I guess with the Sox it's more accurate to say we weren't as focused on quality of depth (continues to be a problem) and then the obvious issues with Rodon (gassed) and Lynn (not 100% physically, gassed and Astros a bad match-up), which they will also have to address with Kopech in the second half as well.

We've always heard so many accolades the last decade about the quality of the minor league pitching coaches, but the results are lacking.  Granted, the draft results have been hit and miss (at best) and who knows how much Getz has learned about the pitching side of things since he took over...you would think he would naturally have more insight on the position player side, right?

Edited by caulfield12

Every game across the league is so ridiculously low scoring. If MLB doesn't rejuice the ball, it feels like this is shaping up to be a year of the pitcher. I have no idea how MLB could have concluded dejuicing the ball was a good idea if they weren't also going to do something significant to rein in pitchers.

1 hour ago, maxjusttyped said:

Every game across the league is so ridiculously low scoring. If MLB doesn't rejuice the ball, it feels like this is shaping up to be a year of the pitcher. I have no idea how MLB could have concluded dejuicing the ball was a good idea if they weren't also going to do something significant to rein in pitchers.

I follow MLBBarrelAlert on Twitter and I swear most of the barrels I see this year aren't homers. 

6 hours ago, maxjusttyped said:

I'm gonna wait for the weather In the Midwest to clear 50 for more than a day before I'm going to worry about the ball.  It's been miserable in a lot of areas that have been playing outside so far.