Conforto hurt

gogosox1959

"I honestly think he makes a ton of sense for the Guardians on a short term deal, with a structure similar to Correa’s (but less money). Cleveland has the room in the budget for sure, they probably just don’t want to invest in anyone too long term. And Conforto is coming off a down year, a deal where he can opt out after year one and return to market without a QO attached if he does well seems like a good fit.

Cleveland has a short porch in RF that would probably be very good for his home run totals as well.

Something like 2/40 with opt out after year 1 or maybe even a 3 year deal would make sense to me. It’s not like the Guardians couldn’t afford to run a 70-90m payroll."

MLBtraderumors.com

Run it out there the first half with Conforto and see if you can compete.

You only lose a second round pick for the signing due to CB status and Conforto can beat up on Royals, Twins and maybe Tigers pitching.

Or you do the greatest fire sale of all time over the next 3-12 months!

Jose Ramirez, Bieber (back in All Star form), Conforto, Plesac and Civale all must go.  Reyes and Shaw as well.

Undecided on Clase, but closers are so up and down...he would be worth a ton on the open market, too.

That leaves you with Quantrill, McKenzie and Rosario as your young core to rebuild around, and it would be relatively well timed to follow Sox, Tigers and Royals cycles in 2025-2029.

Really, with a perennial Bottom 5 payroll, there's not much of a choice here.

Edited by caulfield12

1 hour ago, Timmy U said:

You’re gonna have to throw Rosario on the trade pile.  He’s a FA after 2024 season.

Yeah, you have to start somewhere to build a starting lineup…but too late for him unless he’s a bridge player to the next group but the Indians and Rays always cut bait when players get too expensive in arbitration or won’t sign extensions.  Of course, they also have Andres Gimenez as well from the Lindor trade.

They’ve currently got eight to ten players in their system who could end up as starting 2B or SS in the majors if one already includes Rosario and Gimenez.   They continue to murder the White Sox in Latin America despite inherent budget restrictions.

At any rate, with all those players, it’s a massive potential trade haul…almost twice what the Sox had to sell off in 2016/17.

projections for 2023-24 starters

Bo Naylor catcher

Josh Naylor 1B/DH/OF

Brayan Rocchio/Tyler Freeman/Owen Miller 2B   

Gabriel Arias/Carson Tucker/Aaron Bracho SS   Jose Tena/Angel Martinez

Nolan Jones 3B/OF

OF   George Valera, ?, ?

Quantrill, McKenzie, Daniel Espino, Gavin Williams, Ethan Hankins, Logan Allen, Tanner Burns

Clase

The Indians have a TON of infield prospects already (their #9 and #10 prospects are also infielders).  The biggest current and future weaknesses are the outfield and catching spots.

https://www.mlb.com/prospects/guardians/

Edited by caulfield12

If Dave and Jimmy have heard that Conforto hurt himself at a bachelor party you can bet other GM's heard it too and any interested party will surely investigate it. He's made so many bad decisions lately . He's scorched his value. Anyone signing him has to think long and hard about how dedicated he is .

It's also like  the Moncada siutation. We heard stories about the partying , then they get Covid and you have to wonder how on earth these guys can jeopardize their careers and lives of family, friends and team mates . I know these guys got all kinds of temptations but it's like some of these guys just say fuck it ,I'm young, I'm rich, I'm invincible. That's so extremely selfish and narcissistic.

Edited by CaliSoxFanViaSWside
  • Like 1

16 minutes ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

If Dave and Jimmy have heard that Conforto hurt himself at a bachelor party you can bet other GM's heard it too and any interested party will surely investigate it. He's made so many bad decisions lately . He's scorched his value. Anyone signing him has to think long and hard about how dedicated he is .

It's also like  the Moncada siutation. We heard stories about the partying , then they get Covid and you have to wonder how on earth these guys can jeopardize their careers and lives of family, friends and team mates . I know these guys got all kinds of temptations but it's like some of these guys just say fuck it ,I'm young, I'm rich, I'm invincible. That's so extremely selfish and narcissistic.

I'm young and invincible. Wasn't that pretty much all of us in our 20s though?

I know I did stuff then that fell into that category all the time. Us old people have the advantage of looking back and going "dumbshit."

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, ptatc said:

I know I did stuff then that fell into that category all the time. Us old people have the advantage of looking back and going "dumbshit."

Exactly. Most of us have done some really dumb things, and probably had fun and got away with it .

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, ptatc said:

I'll let you know next year. Even so, if I do dumb shit in my 20s, I probably won't be risking tens of millions of dollars doing it.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, CentralChamps21 said:

I'll let you know next year. Even so, if I do dumb shit in my 20s, I probably won't be risking tens of millions of dollars doing it.

What's the risk? Moncada had already signed a tens of millions guaranteed deal.

25 minutes ago, ptatc said:

Don't teams and the players themselves have counselors, life coaches, financial advisors  that come with being rich and in the public eye ? Were we ever rich and in the public eye ? The culture has changed, all these guys want to build a brand but to build a brand with a good image that means being smart.

Plus we didn't have to deal with a life threatening virus that we could pass on to people that could make them die or have serious long term consequences.

Maybe I can get rich being a life coach to those guys. My motto ? Live like you're old, ugly and wise instead of young, handsome and stupid if you want make the most money you can .

Edited by CaliSoxFanViaSWside
  • Like 1

24 minutes ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

Don't teams and the players themselves have counselors, life coaches, financial advisors  that come with being rich and in the public eye ? Were we ever rich and in the public eye ? The culture has changed, all these guys want to build a brand but to build a brand with a good image that means being smart.

Plus we didn't have to deal with a life threatening virus that we could pass on to people that could make them die or have serious long term consequences.

Maybe I can get rich being a life coach to those guys. My motto ? Live like you're old, ugly and wise instead of young, handsome and stupid if you want make the most money you can .

Teams do have those but again being invincible in your 20s, they don't listen. How many pro athletes wind up bankrupt? Baseball is different because of the guaranteed contracts so they get money and can't lose it from being cut.

We has AIDs spreading when I was at that stage of my life. It scared the heck out of everyone but it really didn't change our behavior.  We rationalized it. Not quote the same as COVID but it was out there in the social scene and in sports.

Moncada was already rich. Nothing he did was going to change that.

You have that motto now but I bet you didn't then.

6 minutes ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

And also hopefully not risking the health of the ones who mean the most to you.

There biggest gatherings during the entire pandemic were younger people parties. They are invincible,  in their minds.

30 minutes ago, ptatc said:

What's the risk? Moncada had already signed a tens of millions guaranteed deal.

We're talking about more than money here. He got Covid , he may never be the same player. I don't know how he got it or who he got it from or even if his lifestyle was a factor. But the risk is even more apparent when his wife also got it and what does he have 3 young children ? How would he feel if he thought he had passed it on to them and someone had died ?

• Like 1

The offseason is starting to make a little more sense now.

If there was no Conforto to sign and/or the injury scared our front office, they in turn blew the jerry bucks on short term reliever deals as all of the short term starters flew off the market outside of Rodon. 

6 minutes ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

We're talking about more than money here. He got Covid , he may never be the same player. I don't know how he got it or who he got it from or even if his lifestyle was a factor. But the risk is even more apparent when his wife also got it and what does he have 3 young children ? How would he feel if he thought he had passed it on to them and someone had died ?

This is all true.  However it obviously didn't matter to him as much if you believe the partying and going out stories about him. 

I'm not saying your ideas aren't true. I'm saying people that age just don't care as much about it as "it won't happen to them." At that age you're invincible. 

We know better when we get older with experience. 

Edited by ptatc