2022 Rule Changes

southsider2k5

1 minute ago, flavum said:

Only if it speeds up the game. If game times are longer, it’s terrible. 

You would think it would shorten it if anything. No more waiting for thr catcher to flash signals or change them with a runner on 2B.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...
On 4/5/2022 at 4:38 PM, Texsox said:

I'd like the 10th inning to start as normal then add the runner for the 11th. 

I kind of like that idea as a compromise. I love the history of the game, but actually really enjoy the shorter extra innings. another compromise i thought might make sense is starting the runner on 1b instead of 2b. But then again, the idea is to artificially shorten the game with this rule, so whats really the difference between starting on 1st base or 2nd base if the crowd against is likely "baseball purists" and will dislike it either way. 

Sorry, i didnt click the link - but the shift ends in 2022 right, or at least it's a modified shift? That could be huge for a guy like Yaz and his value. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, southsider2k5 said:

This is interesting. I’ve probably caught between 20-25 balls during my time. Once , 4 consecutive games. I haven’t got one since pre Covid, but I have got them at Guaranteed Rate, Minneapolis and Wrigley, and the balls the Sox used were muddier by a pretty large margin. 

1 hour ago, Dick Allen said:

This is interesting. I’ve probably caught between 20-25 balls during my time. Once , 4 consecutive games. I haven’t got one since pre Covid, but I have got them at Guaranteed Rate, Minneapolis and Wrigley, and the balls the Sox used were muddier by a pretty large margin. 

I wonder if this had anything to do with Lorenzen's gripes and the Justin Upton HBP....
https://sports.yahoo.com/angels-pitcher-michael-lorenzen-rips-mlb-balls-after-hitting-justin-upton-in-head-with-pitch-150837089.html

• 3 weeks later...

So let me get this straight…

If the Sox and Twins finish with the same record, but the win total is lower than the 6-seed, the team that won the season series is gifted the 3-seed, and the other team goes home without playing a game 163. 

Don’t like.

4 hours ago, flavum said:

So let me get this straight…

If the Sox and Twins finish with the same record, but the win total is lower than the 6-seed, the team that won the season series is gifted the 3-seed, and the other team goes home without playing a game 163. 

Don’t like.

Once you get to a ridiculous greedy twelve team format, the regular season is rendered an 162 game exhibition, like the other North American professional sports leagues.

Should be a six team playoff, Best of three for the 2nd and 3rd best Division winners, winner plays the top team in a best of seven series in the LCS.

On 4/5/2022 at 5:38 PM, Texsox said:

I'd like the 10th inning to start as normal then add the runner for the 11th. 

That would be fine as would putting the runner on 1st instead of 2nd.  I hate these contrived changes that change the basic structure of the game.  If the game is too long for you...go to bed.

• Thanks 1

22 hours ago, poppysox said:

That would be fine as would putting the runner on 1st instead of 2nd.  I hate these contrived changes that change the basic structure of the game.  If the game is too long for you...go to bed.

I think it's more in response to pitchers and players than fans. With starters basically becoming long relief pitchers, extra inning games chew staffs quickly. I'd be mildly surprised if this was too appease fans.