Kimbrel traded for AJ Pollock

Sleepy Harold

Well, there is certainly some crow being consumed across Soxtalk land.

Its kind of a whatever trade for me.  Sox are better than they were 20 minutes ago, but we just acquired more of the same - right handed hitting OF than will struggle to stay healthy.  I'd certainly take him over Kimbrel.  With the $5M buyout on his 2023 player option (which you have to assume he'll turn down for a $5M net payout), this is close to a cash neutral deal.  MLB ref has Pollock's 22 salary at $13M, not $10M but it must be wrong as multiple sources are saying its $10M in 22 and $5M buyout on a $10M player option for 23. 

Edited by ChiSox59
  • Like 4

8 minutes ago, Capn12 said:

Like....the guy we just traded for him? I'll take Pollock's "potential" on our roster vs the closer that no one asked for, and at a cheaper price.

I mean, I'm fine with it, but let's not get crazy about Pollock at age 34. There's a lot of bust potential there. Not as much as a Mazara or Eaton signing, but definitely Pollock is a player that can disapear.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, bmags said:

That is only a LHP lineup, TLR will never stack that many righties vs RHP.

Yeah, I would think Vaughn and Sheets share time at DH depending on who is pitching.  Same with Harrison and Leury.  The top of the lineup is very RH heavy, though.  Maybe swap Robert and Moncada.  Regardless, better options with Pollock for sure.

2 minutes ago, ChiSox59 said:

Well, there is certainly some crow being consumed across Soxtalk land.

Its kind of a whatever trade for me.  Sox are better than they were 20 minutes ago, but we just acquired more of the same - right handed hitting OF than will struggle to stay healthy.  I'd certainly take him over Kimbrel.  With the $5M buyout on his 2023 player option (which you have to assume he'll turn down for a $5M net payout), this is close to a cash neutral deal.  MLBTR has Pollock's 22 salary at $13M, not $10M but could be wrong. 

He makes $10 million, but there's a $3 million signing bonus. So this is really a 1 year $18 million deal. 

2 minutes ago, iWiN4PreP said:

I mean, I'm fine with it, but let's not get crazy about Pollock at age 34. There's a lot of bust potential there. Not as much as a Mazara or Eaton signing, but definitely Pollock is a player that can disapear.

Sure, he has to stay at least a little bit healthy, to really help out. But I'll take the 10 mil oft-injured OFer we needed vs the 16 mil set up man.

1 minute ago, chw42 said:

He makes $10 million, but there's a $3 million signing bonus. So this is really a 1 year $18 million deal. 

Was the $3M bonus already paid?  So its $18M luxury tax hit, but out of pocket for Sox is $15M?  So a $1M savings.  

Just now, ChiSox59 said:

Have to imagine this means Sheets is in AAA or traded.  You can't have Vaughn getting 200 at bats this year.  Sheets will still get plenty of MLB opps in 22.  

Sheets and Burger for Manaea makes so much sense 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, hogan873 said:

Yeah, I would think Vaughn and Sheets share time at DH depending on who is pitching.  Same with Harrison and Leury.  The top of the lineup is very RH heavy, though.  Maybe swap Robert and Moncada.  Regardless, better options with Pollock for sure.

Vaughn won't get enough PA as the weak side of a DH platoon. He should be starting every day in Charlotte. 

1 minute ago, ChiSox59 said:

Have to imagine this means Sheets is in AAA or traded.  You can't have Vaughn getting 200 at bats this year.  Sheets will still get plenty of MLB opps in 22.  

Sheets will be a part of the Manaea trade package.

Edited by DirtySox
  • Like 2

12 minutes ago, bmags said:

I don't know. I was right about Kimbrel when they made the option but I'm still so grossed out by the offseason process I'm not even particularly looking to take my winnings here. 

But I think this board as whole has crushed on pollock since his AZ days and I'm looking forward to watching him play, and this is positive and I'm happy and am just going to be relieved.

I have always really liked Pollocks game. He will undoubtedly get hurt at some point, won't play over 130 Games, but he's such a complete player when hes out there.